Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:03 PM

18 posts, read 91,108 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Raleigh from Austin (the mecca of diversity, wierdness, hightech and live music). We visited Raleigh a couple of weeks back, and came back home in tears. What we saw was, to say the least, shocking. Overpriced homes with beaters in the driveway (a sign of people who work to simply pay the house payment), No greenbelts or hike and bike trails in your back yard (apparently you have to go to a park to get that), and your homeless people were actually homeless! Where's the love? Other people were walking down the streets--not for exercise, but because they didn't have a ride. We saw a few cyclists in Hillsborough and Pittsboro (but that was the only sign of outdoor exercise we witnessed). We saw one sad little farmer's market, but no artists kiosks or street musicians. Where is the culture? If one more person points us in the direction of the museums I think I'll scream! We were told to go to Durham for live music (We drove through Durham and kept on driving! I drive a Jaguar and figured the cat wouldn't be on the hood when I came back out.) We were then told to go to Chapel Hill. That's an awfully small town with a few quaint shops and restaruants, but nothing to write home about! Is this what we have to look forward to? Overpriced homes, driving out of town or having to fight the college students to hear a good band, museums, nothing to do but work to pay the mortgage? Please tell us it isn't so!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:09 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda9417 View Post
We are relocating to Raleigh from Austin (the mecca of diversity, wierdness, hightech and live music). We visited Raleigh a couple of weeks back, and came back home in tears. What we saw was, to say the least, shocking. Overpriced homes with beaters in the driveway (a sign of people who work to simply pay the house payment), No greenbelts or hike and bike trails in your back yard (apparently you have to go to a park to get that), and your homeless people were actually homeless! Where's the love? Other people were walking down the streets--not for exercise, but because they didn't have a ride. We saw a few cyclists in Hillsborough and Pittsboro (but that was the only sign of outdoor exercise we witnessed). We saw one sad little farmer's market, but no artists kiosks or street musicians. Where is the culture? If one more person points us in the direction of the museums I think I'll scream! We were told to go to Durham for live music (We drove through Durham and kept on driving! I drive a Jaguar and figured the cat wouldn't be on the hood when I came back out.) We were then told to go to Chapel Hill. That's an awfully small town with a few quaint shops and restaruants, but nothing to write home about! Is this what we have to look forward to? Overpriced homes, driving out of town or having to fight the college students to hear a good band, museums, nothing to do but work to pay the mortgage? Please tell us it isn't so!
Wow;
First, why are you moving??? Don't you think you should think this out?? I just moved from San Diego, CA. I cannot compare one thing here to anything in CA, I wouldn't even try. You need to take a deep breath and realize that Raleigh area is not Austin, it is totally different. Raleigh, is so much sleepier than Austin, which isn't bad, it is just different.
My advise is to make a few more trips here and check it out before you make a long and expensive move.

Liz

Old 06-19-2007, 07:11 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda9417 View Post
Sounds like you've already made up your mind not to like it here, or see what the area has to offer.

No one can help you with that. However, there is certainly more to it then what you've seem to have found. No, we don't have the music scene of Austin, that much I'll give you straight out. I miss the music from where I am from as well.

The rest of your post....please......like folks here have never seen a Jag.... We do have greenways and parks.....you might not have seen them....but that doesn't mean they aren't here.

The Triangle is not Austin,but I am sure in some ways, Austin isn't the Triangle either.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:16 PM

709 posts, read 935,436 times
Where is the culture?

Its the darn american suburbs at their best uh I mean worst!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,360 times
Wow, I'm so sorry your first trip here was such a disappointment. This must feel like a bit of a shock, the way you're describing it. May I ask what's bringing you here? When our family relocated here 3 years ago, we came because of a job. The company my husband worked for in Tampa went bankrupt when we were expecting our second child - we went where the job was! We were NOT excited about moving, but we have come to absolutely love Raleigh, for many of the reasons you mentioned. The parks and greenways here are actually one of my favorite features of this area, along with the mild weather that allows us to enjoy them nearly year round. Many neighborhoods have the Capital Area Greenway trail actually winding through them:

City of Raleigh | Greenway Trail System (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_306_209_0_43/http;/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Parks_and_Facilities/Greenway_Trails/Cat-Index.html - broken link)

They are still expanding it as well.

With regard to the Art Scene, I'm sure Raleigh falls short of what you're accustomed to (as it does next to Tampa!), but the city is actively working to add new art festivals and activities downtown. We took our kids to Artsplosure in Moore Square this year, and it was an amazing collaboration of street vendors and artists, local businesses offering different art projects for the kids to work on including a huge mural, and great live music. You just have to look for it.

The state Farmer's Market is actually pretty amazing, complete with a couple restaurants and row upon row of fantastic local vendors. We can't do it in a day, there's so much there, but we also have two kids in tow!

This does not appear to be a move you are looking forward to, but hopefully in your subsequent visits, you can find some of those gems that we have come to love here.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:19 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,723 times
Default No comparison

Well Brenda,

I doubt there's many smallish cities in the US that compare with Austin in terms of vibrancy and live music. Hence, its unfair to compare Austin with Raleigh.

Whilst I agree, that Raleighs house prices are now on the overpriced side, and that Chapel Hill is run down and smells of p***, this area of North Carolina is still beautiful, peaceful and the people are warm and cuddly.

If you don't think you are going to like it here, then don't come. Life's too short and work, though it pays the bills, is less important than happiness.

Cheers

BM

Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Think of it this way; Until 30 years ago, Raleigh's main culture was farming. You can be on the tip of the new and exiting diversity that pours into the triangle area by thousands each year from places all around the country because it is simply the best place to live and raise a family. I grew up here and let me tell you, I wish the secret was kept a little better.
The simpler life must be the draw. We have beautful land, close proximity to the beach and mountains, some of the best golf in the world, jobs galore(even for the homeless if they would be willing to take them), and most everyone around will gladly stop and say hello or lend a hand if you need it.
In my line of work I meet people moving into town from all over. Many have a similar perception of the area....but over time they learn why we love it so much. Best of luck!

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Where is the culture?

Its the darn american suburbs at their best uh I mean worst!
You don't bother to look for it either. I've not seen you post one postive thing about anything.

Yes, the Triangle has tons of the suburbs....but if one opens their eyes, it's not hard to find the rest....then again, I gues it's easier to complain.

83 posts, read 500,874 times
I'm going to assume you don't have a choice in your move to Raleigh. If not - why are you moving?
In the past I have moved to a place I didn't want to go. I was miserable about moving but in the end it turned out to be a wonderful place and I loved it.
Embracing change is key.

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Austin, I spent a couple of months there when my husband was working for tivoli, they needed him there temporarily. I liked Austin, and I had heard so much about it, but honestly when I got there I thought, is this all there is? We walked downtown on 6th street and I felt like all I smelled was beer and cigarette smoke. NOW, that was my first impression. Do you think that was the austin you know and obviously love? Probably not.

So, raleigh isn't austin. there is a cool music scene throughout the triangle, there are some clubs that actively promote local bands (lincoln theater in raleigh and cats cradle in chapel hill come to mind), there are many many bikers in the area (come out to wake forest, you seen them in droves on the weekend). My mom is a biker and she goes out for a couple of hours a day in chapel hill. The american tobacco trail is a great ride for bikers.

Most of the towns have greenway for walking and biking, and people use those quite often. There is also falls lake and jordan lake which can be used for motor and non motorized boats, and they have hiking trails.

It sounds like you HAVE to move here, and that may be difficult if your first impression was not the best. But my first impression of austin was nothing to write home about either, in the end though, I did like it there.

Open your mind and do some more research, you might find some things you like.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary