Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 08:24 AM

97 posts, read 115,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...r-rollout.html
"Raleigh official: Google Fiber rollout 'at least two years' away"
Thank you! Good to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 09:27 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
I'd be shocked if it were two years from now before the first people get service. It would be way longer than they have taken anywhere else and pretty dumb on their part as while they have piles of cash, they've already set multiple fiber huts and run miles and miles of conduit in Western Wake. They could be making money off their investment while still building in other areas nearby as well as gradually increasing the load on their main connections to the Internet at large.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out though.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin257 View Post
My husband and I have a very good router, even the technician was impressed by it saying we could run a business off of it. But lately our internet is SO slow. Only one of us can be online at a time or the other gets kicked off.
Please tell us what cable modem and router you have?

Sounds like you may need to reset the the cable modem and/or router (usually a small pin hole on the back of the unit) to get them to better sync with one another.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:14 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Man, do I hate TWC. I called to downgrade from a $187 triple play package o'crap to a $66 internet only deal. I was quoted the price 2 weeks ago. (At that time, the sales rep tried to upsell me on speed by telling me that I need more speed AND a new, more expensive modem. Her big selling point was that I couldn't have wifi without it. I had to explain to her that I will plug my modem into a wireless router and be just fine, thanks. but either she was too dense to grasp it or hoping that if she just said it 8 times, I would believe it.) Anyway, I called back & was given the hard sell for retaining some TV functionality. Then I was told the price quote was for a slower speed than I was told. Blah Blah. Wanted to go through the whole "how do you use your TV" and "how do you use your internet access" nonsense again. It took me FOREVER to get the deed done. by the end, I was so frustrated, I wanted to scream. Way to go, TWC. Make sure I run straight to another provider the instant one becomes available!

Old 11-10-2015, 12:23 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Some hints:
  • Buy your own latest cable modem; it'll pay for itself in less than a year. On sale often.
  • Buy a quality Netgear router, like from Costco where you can always return it for any reason.
  • Call TWC on a Sunday evening when the call center is not busy and ask for their best rate as you threaten to bail.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:35 PM

166 posts, read 419,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin257 View Post
My husband and I have a very good router, even the technician was impressed by it saying we could run a business off of it. But lately our internet is SO slow. Only one of us can be online at a time or the other gets kicked off.
Does rebooting your cable modem improve things at all? I don't know what's going on with my connection. I used to have 15/1 "Standard" internet from TWC and recently got bumped up to the MAXX 50/5 speed. However I need to reboot my cable modem every day to keep that speed. I it slows down to around 1mbps (really!), then I reboot and BOOM, back to 50/5. It seems like TWC is throttling me down to 1mbps and rebooting my cable modem resets it. It's pretty damn annoying.

Conspiracy theory time... I have the absolute bottom of the barrel "Starter TV" cable package and I primarily use Netflix, Amazon Prime or other streaming services for my TV/movie entertainment. Is it possible that TWC is screwing with me to try to encourage me to sign up for real cable?

Old 11-11-2015, 05:47 AM

286 posts, read 749,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrick View Post
Does rebooting your cable modem improve things at all? I don't know what's going on with my connection. I used to have 15/1 "Standard" internet from TWC and recently got bumped up to the MAXX 50/5 speed. However I need to reboot my cable modem every day to keep that speed. I it slows down to around 1mbps (really!), then I reboot and BOOM, back to 50/5. It seems like TWC is throttling me down to 1mbps and rebooting my cable modem resets it. It's pretty damn annoying.

Conspiracy theory time... I have the absolute bottom of the barrel "Starter TV" cable package and I primarily use Netflix, Amazon Prime or other streaming services for my TV/movie entertainment. Is it possible that TWC is screwing with me to try to encourage me to sign up for real cable?

I have the same service and also seeing the random speed drops. I do not stream, just normal surfing, emails, etc. Now I just run a speed test before I start surfing and reboot the modem if needed. Eventually, when I have time I will call TWC and get their story........

Old 11-11-2015, 08:40 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,634 times
Speeds will eventually stabilize. They were wacky in 27701 for a few days but now rock solid.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:47 AM

288 posts, read 361,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...r-rollout.html
"Raleigh official: Google Fiber rollout 'at least two years' away"
I think he means that the rollout won't be finished for at least two years. Looking at the KC and Austin rollouts, the first Raleigh neighborhoods should be getting service less than a year from now. I'm expecting some people in Morrisville to have Google Fiber by spring.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:06 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
So when I went to dump my DVR/cable boxes, they told me I need a new modem to get my newly bumped up 200mbps. I told them I do not want to use the routing capabilities in their modem; I want to use my own. So I just spent an hour with "John" in Bangalore trying to get the modem activated & the routing shut off. He finally decided that the ethernet port on the modem is bad, and I have to go back to the TWC office and swap it out. In the mean time, they can't activate my OLD modem because it can't drink from the 200mbps firehose. So I'm stuck using the new modem and it's undesired routing capabilities just so I can have internet access. AND I get to go waste another hour in line at TWC.

Have I mentioned how much I despise TWC?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary