Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Do you object to an expression of gratitude that doesn't thank a non-specific deity?

Personally I think it's kind of nice to spend a moment recognizing our good fortune in having plenty to eat. We don't do it now that our kids are big, but when they were little I taught them this Waldorfian gratitude "prayer".

Earth, who gives to us our food
Sun, who makes it ripe and good
Dear Earth, Dear Sun, by you we live
To you our loving thanks we give.

My youngest loved to say it when she was about 3.

You could suggest something along those lines be said instead if you object to the non-specific deity in the one they're using now.

This is a nice one from a Montessori school:

Thank you for green grass under me
Thank you for blue skies over me
Thank you for good friends beside me
Thank you for good food in front of me
and peace all over the world.

But, yes, like others said, there certainly is no North Carolina law prohibiting prayer in private school. If you've got him in public school and they're making the kids pray then that would be against the law, but even then individuals and groups/clubs are free to pray on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 10:03 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I like how nobody thinks it's a big deal. Unless their child comes home and start saying "Allahu Akbar" before chowing down on his chicken fingers.

Children are very impressionable. There is nothing wrong with a parent knowing whether their child's preschool is training their toddler to be a Southern Baptist, a Muslim, a follower of Joel Osteen, a Wiccan, or just to believe that some supernatural being demands to be given props before you are allowed to munch on some Cheerios.
That's why you should ask about it before joining the school. If the school's policy is to not have any prayer then the administrators should be informed that the teacher isn't following protocol.

If the school does not have such a policy then those are the breaks. When signing your child up for preschool, you should ask all of the questions that are important to you - are there naps? do they give juice or water? are there any prayers? do they teach any holidays? all holidays? only non-religious holidays? etc.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:13 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times
One thing to keep in mind is that preschool kids believe in Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny. So, a non denominational prayer isn't going to make a huge impression. I'm not religious at all, but I actually sent my kids to a Lutheran preschool. It was the best option where I lived at the time in terms of facilities, etc. my kids are now 8 and 10 and i don't think they remember at all the religious elements of their preschool. So, if you overall like the school I wouldn't worry too much about this issue.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:46 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
OP if it makes you feel any better, my parents, who both grew up in the religious south, forced me to go to Sunday school, church, etc for many, many years. Not until I left for college did I finally escape their wrath. I'm full blown atheist now. I fully support your efforts and can't believe some of the posters on here. What if the reverse was flipped, or the teacher was "teaching" them about another "religion"? They would be off their rocker. The sooner we move away from a religious society to a science based one, the sooner society can move past the multiple of wars that have been going on for centuries. The defining moment for me was finding out the Catholic crusaders killed twice as many people as Hilter did in concentration camps. I guess we let that slide because he lost the war, and they didn't. Sickening.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:21 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that preschool kids believe in Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny.
They don't unless the parents do those things with them. How many Jewish kids do you know who believe in Santa? I think that is exactly the OP's point. As parents they should get to decide what if any religion to introduce to their kids. I would imagine many other parents at this secular daycare would feel the same way. Probably the most religious parents send their kids to a religious preschool ā€” they're often cheaper anyway.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:15 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that preschool kids believe in Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny.
Actually they don't unless they are taught/allowed to. I don't know many Jewish kids who believe in Santa or the Easter bunny. What if the OP were Christian and they were teaching a Jewish or Muslim prayer? I think everyone's response would be different. I'm actually surprised that going to a secular preschool people think this is something you should have to ask about, but again it would never in a million years happen where I'm originally from so I guess that's why I can't wrap my mind around it.

The OP has not wanted to post the wording, and I do think it's relevant, if it's something like the things that poppy dog posted then it's not religious at all in nature.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:43 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Actually they don't unless they are taught/allowed to. I don't know many Jewish kids who believe in Santa or the Easter bunny. What if the OP were Christian and they were teaching a Jewish or Muslim prayer? I think everyone's response would be different. I'm actually surprised that going to a secular preschool people think this is something you should have to ask about, but again it would never in a million years happen where I'm originally from so I guess that's why I can't wrap my mind around it.

The OP has not wanted to post the wording, and I do think it's relevant, if it's something like the things that poppy dog posted then it's not religious at all in nature.
nothing about the prayer is christian, why do you assume such?

best we can tell it's just some sort of soft spirtualism

and sure if the day care was saying "Thank you lord Jesus for saving us from sin" I could understand parents wanting to demur

Old 10-31-2015, 08:51 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
nothing about the prayer is christian, why do you assume such?

best we can tell it's just some sort of soft spirtualism

and sure if the day care was saying "Thank you lord Jesus for saving us from sin" I could understand parents wanting to demur
That's the issue. The OP hasn't stated what the words are. The other prayers on this thread were all examples from other posters. We have no idea what is being said at the OP' s daycare.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:01 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,467 times
The private preschool can do whatever it wants, as far as prayer. However, as a non-religious parent, I would be irritated to find my child's secular school partaking in it. If I were okay with prayer at school, I would have sent him to a much less expensive church sponsored preschool. I specifically sought out a secular experience for my child, to avoid that.

OP, you said your child was in other classrooms within this school, that didn't partake in prayer, correct? Perhaps you just need to spend to the director about your concerns.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:03 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
Frankly this is a bunch of hand wringing and the parents need to realize they are going to be faced with a bunch of this as their child grows.

Don't like it? Select another school. There really is no problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary