Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Sal_M, that has NOT been the case with the three different preschools I have experience with, but other folks with kids in the Triangle and Northern VA said similar things had happened in their kids' preschools. I don't doubt that it goes both ways, but I think folks who are not in the Triangle and who don't have any experience with preschools/daycares in the Triangle don't add much to the conversation when they starting spouting off about Raleigh being in the middle of the Bible Belt and "religious 'brain-washing'" and religion being "crammed down your throat at every opportunity". That's hyperbolic and just not true.

I didn't hear the newscaster you referenced, but that sounds like something that might happen. That's not the same as religious brain-washing or religion being crammed down your throat, though. I don't think that is an accurate characterization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 05:06 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Sal_M, that has NOT been the case with the three different preschools I have experience with, but other folks with kids in the Triangle and Northern VA said similar things had happened in their kids' preschools. I don't doubt that it goes both ways, but I think folks who are not in the Triangle and who don't have any experience with preschools/daycares in the Triangle don't add much to the conversation when they starting spouting off about Raleigh being in the middle of the Bible Belt and "religious 'brain-washing'" and religion being "crammed down your throat at every opportunity". That's hyperbolic and just not true.

I didn't hear the newscaster you referenced, but that sounds like something that might happen. That's not the same as religious brain-washing or religion being crammed down your throat, though. I don't think that is an accurate characterization.
Just out of curiosity I had to see if the Raleigh area is considered the bible belt.

Raleigh has 2,544 different churches and a Population of 431,000 which is one church for every 170 ppl.

My former state of NJ has 1071 churches and a pop. of 8.9 million or one church for every 8,300 ppl.

Please try to explain to me how the Northeast is more religious than Raleigh.

Weather you like it or not you are definitely the bible belt.

I live right in the middle of it and it doesn't not bother me why should it bother you?

Old 11-02-2015, 06:16 AM

143 posts, read 201,745 times
It's just a song. Your son is 3. He will forget it by the time he's 4.

Finding a good childcare setting is difficult, if he is happy and you have no other complaints - just let it be.

You are making a mountain out of a song about a mole hill.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:26 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
Does anyone know whether prayer is sanctioned in secular preschools or daycares within North Carolina? Our son is almost 3 and attends a daycare not sponsored by a religious institution. He's recently begun singing a sort of prayer before meal times at home. He's apparently learned it from his teachers. They fold hands and pray before lunch. This was a surprise, as we were never told that the children would be led in prayer.

We're not religious and prefer to be the ones to guide our son's faith. I plan on speaking with the owners, but would prefer know whether the teacher's behavior is permitted by the state before our conversation.
As has previously been pointed out Preschools and Daycares in NC are private. If you disapproved of anything, including prayer or religious songs, for your child you should have asked this question prior to enrolling your child. That is all parents responsibility before enrolling their kids in any activity. You made the mistake. Admit it, remove your child immediately, and find a daycare that meets all your requirements. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't know many Jewish kids who believe in Santa or the Easter bunny

Jewish kids believe in Santa all the time. They are exposed to it constantly outside the home. Jewish parents vary greatly in how they handle the situation - but many of the younger kids most definitely believe in Santa.

Our youngest believed in Santa while attending a Jewish preschool. She was hardly alone. Many of us chose not to make a big deal about it, so that the kids wouldn't be tempted to spill the beans to their non-Jewish relatives and playmates.

And yes, some even believed in the Easter Bunny.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:24 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
It make no difference whether other people think this is no big deal or not.

If the OP wanted a daycare that provided religious instruction, that is certainly available in this area.

A heart-to-heart with the daycare director on how you would prefer to handle religious instruction yourself should open your eyes to whether continuing here it going to work.

And no, I don't believe there are any laws in North Carolina on whether private institutions may pray. I think religious instruction is supposed to stay out of public schools, but we all know how that goes.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:31 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It make no difference whether other people think this is no big deal or not.

If the OP wanted a daycare that provided religious instruction, that is certainly available in this area.

A heart-to-heart with the daycare director on how you would prefer to handle religious instruction yourself should open your eyes to whether continuing here it going to work.

And no, I don't believe there are any laws in North Carolina on whether private institutions may pray. I think religious instruction is supposed to stay out of public schools, but we all know how that goes.

You miss the point. There isn't any religious instruction, just some spiritualism

Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,216,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

City-Data has some nice stats on religion. Pinehurst/Moore Co is a bit more religious than Raleigh, where "none" is almost 54%. In Durham "none" has 58%, in Orange County it's 56%. Slightly more than half of people in Moore County are religious. A little more than 24% of folks in Moore Co are evangelicals, to about 18% in Wake Co.
I would be interested in seeing where that survey was taken and the wording of the questions. With the proliferation of "non-denominational" churches popping up in every middle school, strip mall and gas station, I wonder if "none" correlates to denomination. The categories weren't very descriptive. If they were truly asking about religion it would be "Christian", "Muslim", "Jewish", etc.

I know on paper what "none" means and that could truly be the case, I'm just curious is all.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:13 AM

"None" is no religion. Atheist/Agnostic. Non denominational churches are still Christian.

This area is very religious compared to the other states I've lived in. I think that church here is also such a large part of the social fabric that you probably have a ton of people that aren't particularly religious, but attend church for the social aspect.

Which is exactly the demographic that the non-denominational, praise band, strip mall churches are marketing to.

Heck, I'm atheist and I liked church. I prefer old-school choir and organ stuff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I would be interested in seeing where that survey was taken and the wording of the questions. With the proliferation of "non-denominational" churches popping up in every middle school, strip mall and gas station, I wonder if "none" correlates to denomination. The categories weren't very descriptive. If they were truly asking about religion it would be "Christian", "Muslim", "Jewish", etc.

I know on paper what "none" means and that could truly be the case, I'm just curious is all.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

Here's what it says at the bottom of the City-Data section with the religion info. See what google brings up and you might find out more about the methodology.

Quote:
Source: Clifford Grammich, Kirk Hadaway, Richard Houseal, Dale E.Jones, Alexei Krindatch, Richie Stanley and Richard H.Taylor. 2012. 2010 U.S.Religion Census: Religious Congregations & Membership Study. Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies. Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center. Graphs represent county-level data

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...#ixzz3qLcumN5P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary