Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 08:26 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think the right decision would be to put Kat Campbell on evenings. I know it goes against seniority, but she really is the right fit, and I think they will probably risk losing her otherwise. Yes she's young and yes she's easy on the eyes, but she also seems really smart and knowledgeable. She is good at what she does.

I love Mike Maze, and I think Elizabeth Gardner is ok. But the reality is, business is business.
No . No. No.

People heart Elizabeth ... why are you hyping Kat so much? There’s nothing that demonstrably separates her from Elizabeth ...Elizabeth has earned the chance to be the top forecaster ... she’s the only likable personality at WRAL.

@TexasNC you’re spot on about ABC11 being light years ahead in this market ... but don’t you talk bad about Kim Deaner ... *points at you* she’s our good ol’, fun loving, family woman, stereotypical Carolina, “Woooooo!” blonde... and that’s that. She’s a great glue piece to the team.

And yeah , I dunno why Tisha hasn’t left ... I saw her interview with Taraji Henson last night , and I’m thinking “Tisha has to be prepping herself to make a leap to national or at least a really large , metro market . Dunno why she’s still around. She has “IT.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post

Why did Kim stop doing weather ? I’d be fine with her back in that role at ABC11 or WRAL ... although I feel ABC11 is a better fit for her .

Last edited by UserNamesake; 03-20-2019 at 08:46 AM..

Old 03-20-2019, 02:32 PM

52 posts, read 41,431 times
WRAL just lost their best reporter, Candace Sweat. Ship is burning.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:29 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina623728 View Post

Wowwwwwwww... it really is burning.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:35 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times
Candace went to work for the NBC O&O in Dallas. That IS a big step up in market.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:26 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Yeah the turnover at that place is insane right now. Wasn't there a management change or something recently? Something isn't right that's for sure.

I also realized Gina Benitez or whatever her name is also gone (took me a while). She lasted what, a few months?

Old 03-20-2019, 04:31 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Yeah the turnover at that place is insane right now. Wasn't there a management change or something recently? Something isn't right that's for sure.
Jim Goodmon is semi-retired and his son is moving into that role. From what I have heard, he isn’t as pleasant to work for.

The GM retired a few months ago as well and a new one came in.

Edit: there are new Glassdoor reviews posted in the past month or two. It makes me sad to see CBC being run into the ground.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:19 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,663 times
Sorry to see Candace Sweat go. I expect to see her on the national news soon.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina623728 View Post
Wow! Very sorry to see her go! Why couldn't it be someone like Crabtree and Johansen leaving...ughh!!

Old 03-20-2019, 06:45 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
They're gonna have to take Crabtree out feet first, if they can get the ego out at all.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:41 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I'd rather not have my weather presented by someone dressed for a cocktail party. The weather should be serious and around here we have trained professionals delivering the forecast. Act and dress like the professional you are.

This week Elizabeth Gardner is doing the evening weather as Mike Maze is on vacation. Is this really just a fill-in for vacation or is this a try out for the top spot?
To the former Dallas TX poster:

The Triangle isn't a major city like Dallas is, and it's 2nd or 3rd tier market at best.

The hierarchy in how local news anchors dress is very noticeable:

1) Male anchors in NYC wear French cuffs often, gorgeous suits and very beautiful ties

2) In Atlanta the men wear a sharp suit with nice fabrics, a nice $100+ tie, probably everything came from Bloomingdales.

3) In Raleigh the men wear plain suits and subdued colored ties, not anything to draw people's attention to think," hey that's a fancy tie he's wearing". It's not great, but they don't come off as looking cheap or tacky.
I think it's almost appropriate for the market, though I'd like to see improvement.

The selection of men's clothes at Triangle malls is horrible. The buyers for Macys and other department stores are really doing a disservice to area men by filling the stores with pleated khakis, rockports, and those faded patterned shirts. And people will reply that Saks 5th Ave has different stuff, but that's way too far in the other direction.

The other area influence is the universities and that's why the khakis are so common. You've got Southern boarding school and fraternity cultures that influence men's apparel.

Also look up "Lizard Lick Towing Co" on YouTube to see how the locals really dress.

And no offense, but Texas men may be bigger and better dressed, but architectural styles of development in Texas and the tree-less landscape is uggggly. As a NC native used to beautiful surroundings I don't think I could live anywhere in Texas and I Have driven across it on every interstate multiple times.

So it's all a tradeoff. NC my not be as stylish as the major cities, but it's a top -tier state holding its own along with Florida, NY and California. I know I've lived all over.

WRAL was chosen as the CBS affiliate for satellite tv before local stations were available and WRAL was the CBS channel for the Eastern time zone in the entire Western Hemisphere.

The station has as much clout as the leading stations in Dallas do. It is known worldwide as the first station to broadcast in high definition and the first newsroom to go all digital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary