Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Not sounding like we are going to get much of anything for accumuluation (less than 1") after all.

Maybe next time!
Maybe where you are but in Durham and Orange Counties we'll be getting more than we thought, according to WRAL:

Orange County is in the part of the western Triangle under a winter storm warning from noon Friday until Saturday evening. The warning also covers Durham, Chatham, Granville, Person, Vance and Warren counties.
In those counties, 1 to 3 inches of snow could fall by sunset, and snowfall could total 2 to 6 inches before the storm is over. In addition, a quarter inch of ice could form.

Western Triangle under winter storm warning :: WRAL.com

Still, I'd kind of like a foot of snow, just once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 05:05 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Maybe where you are but in Durham and Orange Counties we'll be getting more than we thought, according to WRAL:
Well, the thread title mentions RDU (which is near me).. but yeah, I'm sure some areas will get more.

As for 12" of snow - you need to live a little further north. DC seems to get that much fairly regularly. Looks like they are getting 6-12" with this storm!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:15 AM

10 posts, read 14,996 times
Several years ago, Greg Fischel (my favorite, by the way) sent us all to bed saying we were only going to have a trace to a few inches of snow. Well, lo and behold we awakened the next morning to 18 inches on the ground. The storm wobbled a bit during the night and suprised everyone! I hope this system wobbles a bit

Old 12-18-2009, 06:26 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
It's been above freezing all day in Durham so far and is supposed to stay that way through the night. I'm not sure how snow is supposed to accumulate in these conditions. I'm thinking some slush at most. Should be pretty falling though.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:41 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
It's been above freezing all day in Durham so far and is supposed to stay that way through the night. I'm not sure how snow is supposed to accumulate in these conditions. I'm thinking some slush at most. Should be pretty falling though.
Oh no - do not want slush !

Sigh - yeah, I'll just enjoy the pretty snowflakes while we've got 'em.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:28 AM

645 posts, read 1,504,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post

Dewpoint my friend is in the low 20s. when it starts to rain it will quickly drop the temp to 32 or 31 degress and it will snow. Evaporative cooling of the atmosphere.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:30 AM

645 posts, read 1,504,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Not sounding like we are going to get much of anything for accumuluation (less than 1") after all.

Maybe next time!

Go west of rI77 and watch how much they get. Yes I know its not RDU but its still in NC. we will see snowflakes here in Raleigh sometime after 12 noon

Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 AM

335 posts, read 801,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
In other words, a lot of people down here don't know how to handle it and freak at the very mention of snow/ice. Correct.

The "good" news is the stores will be a madhouse tomorrow and the weekend anyway due to holiday!
Nope, that's not quite what I was saying. While it's true that many people born and raised here may not be as experienced in driving on snow, people who are used to driving in wintery conditions in other parts of the country and think that the roads will be just the same here are sadly mistaken.

Ice really doesn't care who's behind the wheel. It's evil stuff. And we simply don't have the budget to scrape and treat the roads properly. If anyone honestly thinks it's worth it to get into an accident picking up those last two Christmas presents, be my guest. Just don't expect too much sympathy. The wise course of action would be to order those presents online.

$14 for express shipping sure beats a $250-$500 deductible. But hey, it's your choice.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:11 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Dewpoint my friend is in the low 20s. when it starts to rain it will quickly drop the temp to 32 or 31 degress and it will snow. Evaporative cooling of the atmosphere.
Pretty sure hourly forecasts take this into account. We've been above freezing all day and every forecast has us staying there. The ground is not cold enough either. I have Vermont blood and I'm just not feeling or smelling this one yet. Sorry. Heheh. We'll see. I will try not to get my hopes up. We will get our fill of snow and below zero temps next week in Vermont.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
The whole "I know how to drive in the snow" debate that comes up every winter is amusing. Where I lived in NJ we got a few good snow storms each year. Plenty of people ended up in ditches there too, just like here. You always have knuckle heads that think "hey, I've got an SUV I can drive in this!" and into the ditch they go.

The only real difference is that here in the peidmont region of NC they don't have as much road equipment to handle to occasional snow events since it isn't needed as often as up North.

Besides, If "everbody here freaks out over the snow" what does that say about the triangle population in general since must of us would agree that a good portion of "everybody here" is made up of transplants from other places that claim to know how to drive in snowy and icey conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary