Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 01:12 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I didn't listen to the advice given by so many posters on this thread. I trusted the inspector my RE agent recommended to me so much that I married her 16 months later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 PM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm glad I didn't listen to the advice given by so many posters on this thread. I trusted the inspector my RE agent recommended to me so much that I married her 16 months later
She overlooks your defects just to smooth things over and not to break the deal.
I wouldn't hire her.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:38 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Does talking about problems with referrals mean that we're saying consumers should not get inspections (or biopsies)?
Depends on the consumer's fear of the possibility of the inspector feeling "beholding to the agent" as you put it. A consumer as sure as you are of that possibility probably shouldn't waste the money on an inspection he isn't going to trust.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:55 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Now that's a grand conspiracy and a major coup by your Realtor! I haven't been that good with my referrals yet.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:24 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Depends on the consumer's fear of the possibility of the inspector feeling "beholding to the agent" as you put it. A consumer as sure as you are of that possibility probably shouldn't waste the money on an inspection he isn't going to trust.
No, I would always recommend an inspection unless someone has very good reason not to get one. Just like I would never recommend that someone doesn't see a doctor because the doctor might have a financial stake in the lab. I never said that someone should avoid getting inspections and I don't see why someone would assume that's what's meant. I think adults can discuss things and understand different dimensions of an issue.

I don't mean to be pedantic but the term I used is 'beholden' (to the agent). It means:

owing thanks or having a duty to someone in return for help or a service.

I only point this out because it's key to my position and if words are misread, meanings are misunderstood. The meaning of this word does not suggest or imply bribes, conspiracies or fraud which is what some people were bizarrely interpreting. Behold(ing) is a completely different word with a completely different meaning.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:40 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,958 times
Quote:
No, I would always recommend an inspection unless someone has very good reason not to get one. Just like I would never recommend that someone doesn't see a doctor because the doctor might have a financial stake in the lab. I never said that someone should avoid getting inspections and I don't see why someone would assume that's what's meant. I think adults can discuss things and understand different dimensions of an issue.

I don't mean to be pedantic but the term I used is 'beholden' (to the agent). It means:

owing thanks or having a duty to someone in return for help or a service.

I only point this out because it's key to my position and if words are misread, meanings are misunderstood. The meaning of this word does not suggest or imply bribes, conspiracies or fraud which is what some people were bizarrely interpreting. Behold(ing) is a completely different word with a completely different meaning.
Yet you said you’d recommend inspectors if you were an agent.

... always cherry picking.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:04 PM

22 posts, read 25,829 times
Default Always have a home inspection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Did you recommend to the investor buyer to get an inspection in general, even if you didn’t want to recommend a specific inspector?

I always recommend that my buyers have a Home Inspection done. I believe in the old expression" Penny wise and pound foolish." If a client opts not to get an inspection done, I ask them to send me that in writing in an email.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:53 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:

NO, those are not my words.
Only the very last two sentences are. I just noticed that. Everything else should be quoted from Bo. I did not copy and paste anything. I just hit reply like everyone does and it came out like that.

Well your buddy Roaming said it was gibberish. Will he take that back now that he knows that they are your words and not mine? I don't want to see you two in an argument.

But seriously thanks for clarifying what happened.
ummmm, no.

I don't know RoamingTx from Adam's house cat...if you know what that means. If you don't - we've never met, we've never talked, we've never emailed or texted, and we haven't ever PM'd each other.

you quoted me as claiming ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Well I'm not an agent so it's not really my job to tell you how to do your job.
clearly, I AM an agent, a Realtor. Clearly, YOU are not. So, as precise as you tend to be, why would you present it this way?

Just let it be known, if just_because was a real estate agent, his clients could expect him to:

2/3 of the time, concentrate on his legal and then ethical obligations.
1/3 of the time, ask his clients what is important to them.

He's said as much

Old 04-04-2018, 08:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:

1. I would mind my ethical and legal requirements for the market that I work in
2. I would seek to understand what my clients want in my market.
3. I would prudently balance my own legal/liability risks in this process.
in case there was ever any doubt ...

Old 04-04-2018, 09:17 PM

745 posts, read 1,285,542 times
Biggest regret of our first home purchase was using the realtor's recommended inspector. He didn't even go on the roof to see the 3/4" gap around the plumbing vent that was letting water into the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate