Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 04:30 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,975,104 times

Advertisements

Predicting you walk on all of them. Otherwise you would have kind of settled on one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 04:35 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,066,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
For the same price would you take 20 acres with a house, or 70 acres without a house? And the reason?
Well, first off it's impossible to answer that since only you know why you'd be buying this island given everything else you've posted these past several months. Also your initial desire was to own something that will last millions of years, and something to pass along to generations, not really that you enjoy things that have to do with island living (esp. in that climate). But anyhooo...

How often do you realistically see yourself visiting, given your distance away and schedule?

How long would you stay each time?

Will your picky wife and young kids join you? What do they enjoy doing?

With a house what would your plan be to keep it maintained in that harsh environment, given your distance away, schedule, and general lack of handiness?

Old 05-27-2018, 07:28 PM

857 posts, read 962,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
1000 variables....

Generally I would put a premium on an existing house hoping that current plumbing and electric have functionality. Are there enforced code requirements? Otherwise a 50 gallon barrel might be the sewage holding tank.

Plus it is easier to add on than to build from scratch and you have a place to live while building. But I'm a builder...

20 acres vs. 70 acres? It may be hard to use much more than 20 acres though 70 gives more exploration potential. Basically...I'd probably take 20 with the house. Getting a house going can be quite expensive and problematic. Like blasting into rock....

I would try to determine that the house was reasonably well built rather than something thrown together with "seconds".
Yeah I know it's nearly impossible for me to build a house. But I am afraid of the house attracting squatters. There are indeed squatter law in Canada based on my research. I dont l know exactly how many years, seems to be between 7and 20 years.

Since you are a builder, perhaps you can educate me on how a regular livable house with land can be as inexpensive as $100K in NS. Doesn't materials alone cost that much?

Last edited by rhbj03; 05-27-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Well, first off it's impossible to answer that since only you know why you'd be buying this island given everything else you've posted these past several months. Also your initial desire was to own something that will last millions of years, and something to pass along to generations, not really that you enjoy things that have to do with island living (esp. in that climate). But anyhooo...

How often do you realistically see yourself visiting, given your distance away and schedule?

How long would you stay each time?

Will your picky wife and young kids join you? What do they enjoy doing?

With a house what would your plan be to keep it maintained in that harsh environment, given your distance away, schedule, and general lack of handiness?
I do enjoy the outdoors very much, especially the ocean. I can't do a lot of traveling right now bit I intend to stop working in perhaps 2 years, at that time I will have all the time to enjoy what I set up.

If I acquire an island property in NS, I intend to make one annual trip there in summer. Family going or not I will want to have a simple house just for comfort. But I want to avoid sinking into a theft and replace cycle.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Rather than build anything.......why not just tie a houseboat up to the island! Basically a floating trailer with everything you need!
This is possible but the house boat will be a major major investment in terms of money and effort. The bigger the boat, bigger the headache.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:54 PM

Once a year?

Rent.

Then you can enjoy a new island every year.

Or if you tire of islands, you can pivot to whatever else you want.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Once a year?

Rent.

Then you can enjoy a new island every year.

Or if you tire of islands, you can pivot to whatever else you want.
Owning is a different level of experience and enjoyment.

This may please you - - I may end up participating in the 100 wild Island programme.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:18 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,470,420 times
Quote:
Found this blog; a good read. Very similar to the path I am traveling down...

My Friends and I Bought an Island - Tynan
It’s been five years, I’d love a follow up story to see how often it was used, much less if they ever built their forts. A 10 hour drive from Boston to Nova Scotia, are you kidding me? When my wife and I looked for a vacation home in the mountains I came across this great metric about distance, and time owned, for actual use of a vacation property. It was like the Richter scale with earthquakes how it grew exponentially with each hour away. When you couple that with this island’s location, and the weather of the region, I’d be amazed if anyone of them went more than once a year, if that. That doesn’t even factor in wives, kids, and having to share it with 9 others owners.

Everything is cool in the beginning, and if you’re ultra wealthy, and the cost is a drop in the bucket go for it. For you personally it sounds like a tremendous waste of money, time, and effort, for little return. Buy the lake property in California. It’ll impress people more than some island in BFE, you’ll get more use out of it, as will your wife and kids, and it’ll appreciate in value much better.

Quote:
If I acquire an island property in NS, I intend to make one annual trip there in summer. Family going or not
I see that going over really well with the wife. If you think she’s gonna let you leave her and the kids in summer so you can play on your island in Canada you’re out of your mind. If she does let you go, I’d be more worried about what she’s got going on, than some silly island.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:43 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,129,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
It’s been five years, I’d love a follow up story to see how often it was used, much less if they ever built their forts.
Follow up articles. Pretty cool.

Building an Island Cabin - Tynan

First Solo Week on the Island - Tynan

State of the Island 2016 - Tynan

Old 05-31-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
It is cool. In some ways I wish I had that much passion for one vacation thing like that, coupled with the time to enjoy it accordingly (versus having 'projects' for the majority of my stay).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate