Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Making her what? A high priced *****? A successful thief? Both? What part of her stealing are you especially proud of?
Is that how you feel about women who are full time wives, lovers, business partners and the mothers of your (your=men in general) children?

I'll say it again: I thought their divorce settlement was fair. If Paul had a pre-nup in place before they married, he probably would have owed her even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 AM

90 posts, read 153,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Is that how you feel about women who are full time wives, lovers, business partners and the mothers of your (your=men in general) children?

I'll say it again: I thought their divorce settlement was fair. If Paul had a pre-nup in place before they married, he probably would have owed her even more.
She didn't deserve that much money. Do all stay at home wives deserve $40million? No so why should she?

You make it sound like a previous poster said, she "put up with him" for all those years and therefore deserves all that money. Is that how you view marriages? The woman puts up with the man and if things fail then the man needs to give her tons of money for having the privelege of even having her at all.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Everyone has a prenuptial agreement. There is the state's "one size fits all" and then there is the one intelligent, thoughtful people discuss and agree on before getting married. Which do you want?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Everyone has a prenuptial agreement. There is the state's "one size fits all" and then there is the one intelligent, thoughtful people discuss and agree on before getting married. Which do you want?

this is a great perspective, i have never thought of it this way.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
A pre-nup is particularly helpful in second marriages where there are children from the first marriage on either or both sides, or where there is a lot of property (especially family property) acquired prior to the marriage or finally where there is a gross inequity in the levels of property being brought into the marriage on either side.

A pre-nup doesn't necessarily invalidate the spirit of marriage. My mother remarried in her 60s after my father died. Both sides had considerable family assets but my mother's fiance had about five times the greater net worth. Each side had children. They drafted a pre-nup to make sure the bases were covered in case of death and it was a successful marriage. I assisted with the estate after my mother's second husband died and the pre-nup made it so very clear in addition to the will and his family trust where the assets were supposed to go. His children had no worries. Often these things tear people apart. Memories get fuzzy over the years and as a result warfare foments over things, if not openly then it simmers in distrust and bad feelings.

No, rather than being viewed as a negative thing, pre-nups are a fairly important tool in certain situations. YMMV.
AK Cathy is 100% correct. Only thing I would add is there is "always one" in the family that causes problems when someone dies, whether first or second marriage. By having a pre-nup (along with a Will, Power of Attorney, etc.) everything is clear and no issues arise.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
I also agree with AK Cathy, and wilson1010 gives the clearest and briefest rationale I've seen yet. Good posts, both of you!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
When you haven't married, you think the way you are thinking. Once you marry and have the experience, you realize that alot of people can change after marriage, situations can change. Nothing is set in stone. A prenup is to protect both of you and it has nothing to do with love.
I disagree with this. I think a prenup has everything to do with love, and I would not get married again without one, and I am not extremely wealthy.

To me, it's particularly important for the less-well-off member of the couple to insist on it, because it is saying: "I am marrying you because I love you, not because I have my eye on your money."

I don't want a guy's stuff. I have my own stuff. People have too much stuff anyway and it just complicates everything.

Marry for love, only, and say so in writing. That's it.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:49 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
A pre-nup is particularly helpful in second marriages where there are children from the first marriage on either or both sides, or where there is a lot of property (especially family property) acquired prior to the marriage or finally where there is a gross inequity in the levels of property being brought into the marriage on either side.

A pre-nup doesn't necessarily invalidate the spirit of marriage. My mother remarried in her 60s after my father died. Both sides had considerable family assets but my mother's fiance had about five times the greater net worth. Each side had children. They drafted a pre-nup to make sure the bases were covered in case of death and it was a successful marriage. I assisted with the estate after my mother's second husband died and the pre-nup made it so very clear in addition to the will and his family trust where the assets were supposed to go. His children had no worries. Often these things tear people apart. Memories get fuzzy over the years and as a result warfare foments over things, if not openly then it simmers in distrust and bad feelings.

No, rather than being viewed as a negative thing, pre-nups are a fairly important tool in certain situations. YMMV.
agreed. when hubby and i married- we had nothing. no prenup needed LOL

if something were to happen to hubby and i decided to remarry later on- you bet your bottom dollar i would have a prenup. and its nothing against the person i married- its to give my kids what i worked so hard for in my life, and make sure THEY get it, without any problems.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,286,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
You are supposed to have an undying trust, for better or worse. Going into a marriage with a prenuptial agreement is really saying "I dont buy into the for better or worse till death do us part". People say "Well you just protect yourself with a prenup".. You shouldnt be marrying that person in the first place then!
My take on it is that if you are marrying someone with whom you feel the need to negociate the divorce settlement before you even take the vows . . . yeah. Don't bother getting married.

I know that 50% of marriages end in divorce. But if you feel the need to go in with the "just in case" contingency, you may as well not go in at all. JMHO.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,454,810 times
I am single now but I would NEVER even consider marriage without a pre-nup. Rather than seeing a pre-nup as being a negative, I see it as a huge positive. To me, if two people are willing to sign a pre-nup that protects their own assets, it proves that they want to marry for the right reason..LOVE. It eliminates the feeling that the partner might want to benefit financially from the relationship. (a la Paul McCartney)

I suppose for those who have never married and are still looking at marriage thru rose colored glasses, it seems mean spirited. For those of us who have been around the marriage block, it means protection of assets for children from previous marriages. Dont forget, when crafting a pre-nup, you can always make financial provisions for your new partner in the agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships