Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It's fine to call him out for calling you and people like you boorish rubes. You can attack him on the basis of his making generalizations about you. But why the need to attack him personally, asking whether he was picked last for dodgeball and so forth? That to me seems no different than what the OP is guilty of. He called you a boorish rube for liking sports so you retaliate by saying he was probably a loser in high school.
Nope. I said nothing of that sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 11:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I honestly don't see or understand what is so exciting about sports. People get all worked up and excited, cheer on for their team, and paint their bodies, etc. Some people treat it like a religion, especially football. They get mad and cry if their teams loses.
Everybody needs an outlet after a week's worth of hard work and depressing current events. Some people find it by watching sports. And I'd rather deal with somebody who paints his face and gets upset when his favorite sports team loses than somebody who uses illegal drugs, abuses alcohol, or engages in deviant sexual behavior as their methods of escape.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:02 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
It's fine to call him out for calling you and people like you boorish rubes. You can attack him on the basis of his making generalizations about you. But why the need to attack him personally, asking whether he was picked last for dodgeball and so forth? That to me seems no different than what the OP is guilty of. He called you a boorish rube for liking sports so you retaliate by saying he was probably a loser in high school.
That's his fault for putting on tights instead of a jersey

Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
People who play football and baseball wear extra tight clothing that look similar to tights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's his fault for putting on tights instead of a jersey

Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 PM

I was referring to the boorish rubes who I know.

Quote:

Old 05-15-2011, 12:20 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's those annoying people who yammer on and on about sports and dominate conversations with sports jargon to alienate you and to gain positive attention.
So you feel left out and you're envious of people who get more attention than you do. You hate taking orders from or being corrected by these types, too. If you changed jobs, it could just be more of the same. What to do?

When you're in one of these uncomfortable situations at work, or at a social event, why not just smile and nod your head? It might make someone feel better about themselves because, after all, they've just impressed you with their superior knowledge.

I know - it's dishonest. But, unless you do a crash study of sports stats going back to the fifties, you'll never be able to compete (sorry, I know how you hate that word) with these sports fans.

You can always be the center of attention when you're socializing with others who possess tastes similar to yours. And, I promise to nod my head and smile as you expound upon the virtues of this artist or that composer, at least until the commercial is over and the game resumes.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:45 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Re-reading your post it does sound like you have a bias against sports. You liken an interest in sports to watching an entertaining film as if interest and knowledge of film is more legitimate than interest and knowledge of sports.

To call a sports nut a rube is no more accurate that calling a film buff a snob.
Yeah, you pretty much nailed it.

Aside from watching my favorite team, the Auburn Tigers, I really don't watch a lot of sports. At the same time, as long as you're not punching the wall or otherwise obnoxious about it, then why not enjoy yourself, right?

The OP is basically choosing to crap on other people's passions, and then couching himself as some kind of intellectual superior. It's a fairly transparent bit of insecurity on his part. I'm sure if someone reacted to opera or music with similar fashion, he would probably think it was wonderful.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Accurate description of the decent, hard-working, patriotic American male.
And a few of us women.

Go Cardinals!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:29 PM

If someone is dominating the conversation about opera or fashion and continued to act weird and fanatical about it then I would not enjoy that person's company either. I think that is plain as day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm sure if someone reacted to opera or music with similar fashion, he would probably think it was wonderful.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:50 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Nope. I said nothing of that sort.
I wasn't referring to you specifically. I meant you in general, as in the sports fans who look down on the people who think sports are silly and feel the need to attack the OP for being one of them. Notice how one person just made a comment about the OP putting on tights instead of a jersey, as if to say he's less of a man because he's into art instead of sports. I've noticed a lot of sports fans are like this. They see someone who's into art, museums, opera, etc. as being some kind of elitist. But isn't that just as bad? You (meaning you in general) don't like someone mocking your love of sports and yet you mock their interest in art. Seems they're both guilty of judging the other for liking something they don't care for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships