Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:48 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,048,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Has anyone ever been in a relationship of any type with those types of weird sports fanatics who space out intently and blurt out comments to the television and rant and rave at the television as if they are "the coach" of their favorite team when they watch pro-football. Or when they watch hours and hours of it as if it is some highly entertaining movie and then they can recite sports history and sports plays and statistics like an encyclopedia to you?
Does a relationship with myself count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever been in a relationship of any type with those types of weird sports fanatics who space out intently and blurt out comments to the television and rant and rave at the television as if they are "the coach" of their favorite team when they watch pro-football. Or when they watch hours and hours of it as if it is some highly entertaining movie and then they can recite sports history and sports plays and statistics like an encyclopedia to you? These types also like to approach everything in life as if they are "coaching" a pro-football team.
What are your thoughts on such people? I consider them to be boorish rubes but I was wondering if others had similar or dissimilar conclusions.
Ugh, sports nuts. I cannot relate to them at all; I loathe sports. I enjoy fitness, staying in shape, being active (mountain climbing, skiing, etc) but 5 minutes of a sports game or even sports talk and I'm outta there.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Were you the big cool awesome special person in your gym class? It must have been the climax of your life since you keep bringing up gym class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
It probably stems from being picked last on the kickball field in elementary school.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
Quote:
Were you the big cool awesome person in your gym class? It must have been the climax of your life since you keep bringing up gym class.
Hmmm....you are the only one who brought up gym class.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
I see nothing wrong with people having their own brand of fun. I mean life is hard enough. Lighten up. I was never a sports fan but my husband is big into sports and trust me, he's no Neanderthal nor a Putty...he's refined and bright. I love football season for a lot of reasons but one is that he just comes to life with the excitement and interest.

Nothing wrong with something that harmlessly brings out passion in a person, whatever type of passion. Isn't most of the world bland, vanilla and half-zombified enough?

If you're a sports fanatic, go ahead, scream your lungs out, jump up and down, rant, throw a Terrible Towel or a fake brick at the TV, go crazy! Life's a short ride, have a little fun and don't care a whit what anyone else thinks!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:44 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Weird this thread came up. I was at lunch today with about 5 other co-workers, the subject of sports came up and they were off and running. Stats, who got traded, who blew out their knee..........

I was bored as usual.

But like they say, to each their own.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Every time someone starts waxing poetic about sports, I think of this:

YouTube - CKY1 Football Trivia

Old 05-13-2011, 07:11 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Playing sports to stay in shape isn't a bad thing.
Playing is good, even a hike in the woods is good. That's a active interest in sports.
But I think the pro-football nuts are the (passive) ones who sit and drink beer as they watch the games on TV. Their only exercise is to walk to the bathroom to drain the bladder. I've seen plenty of these guys, they sure don't look sporty to me.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:14 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Playing is good, even a hike in the woods is good. That's a active interest in sports.
But I think the pro-football nuts are the (passive) ones who sit and drink beer as they watch the games on TV. Their only exercise is to walk to the bathroom to drain the bladder.
That's fine. Participating in any kind of sport is a good way to get/stay in shape.

And those are couch potatoes. I like being one on Sunday afternoons when football season is in progress. And Monday Night.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times

Sometimes they have this too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships