Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:01 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Well, football, baseball, basketball, and hockey are like a religion. It's pervasive throughout society and most people are hooked on it like fried chicken.
What's wrong with fried chicken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 10:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
Nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

Old 05-14-2011, 11:06 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
I bet others would have a different opinion of you.

Is everything a big up-hill battle or competition with you?

I've noticed that the competitive sports lovers enjoy arguing a lot about trivial petty junk. It drives me nuts.
Umm... no. People don't have a different opinion of me. I'm a performer and in a very competitive business - but the only person I'm really competitive with is myself. I'm not competitive with my friends and things are not an up-hill battle with me. In fact, I'm usually the one that my friends call up crying when they need someone to talk to. I'm sensitve to the extreme and my friends know that I will never judge them - that I will always be there for them. I rarely argue with my friends. When I feel like we are crossing into controversial territory, I usually change the subject or make a funny joke. I've had very, very few fights with my friends. I could probably count them on one hand.

This is my point. Because I am a sports fanatic - you have made this huge assumption about my whole personality. And you couldn't be more wrong. I'm also a total book worm - but I'm not an introvert who wears glasses and only talks about books. I'm also a musical theatre performer - but I don't go around singing at the top of my lungs everywhere I go in public. People are not as one dimensional as you are making them out to be. Yes, I'm a college football fanatic - but I'm so much more than that.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I loves me some fried ass chicken.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I loves me some fried ass chicken.
I like it but it gives me a stomach ache! I'm not so good with fried foods!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I'd rather be with a weird sports fan than a weird artsy guy who spends his time looking down on the hobbies of others.
Keep in mind that many sports fans are guilty of this too. If you're not into sports or follow less "cool" sports like soccer or tennis, they look down on you. We've seen hints of that in this thread. People accusing the OP of being picked last for the team or having the high school QB steal his GF. In other words, his problem with sports and sports fans must stem from some personal grudge. I kind of see what the OP is complaining about. People are into all kinds of things that have zero appeal to me. It's when they get carried away with it and shove it in my face that I have a problem with it. Religion is a perfect example. Believe whatever you want, but do the rest of us a favor and show some restraint. Don't judge us cause we don't believe in the same things and don't start spouting your beliefs as if we're supposed to agree. Same with sports or anything else you feel strongly about.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with people playing sports for fun or for losing their fat. It's those annoying people who yammer on and on about sports and dominate conversations with sports jargon to alienate you and to gain positive attention.
I think some people just assume that everyone loves sports as much as them. So they'll start talking about the game that was on last night or news that so-and-so got traded without really noticing that the listener has no interest. One thing that I follow pretty closely is politics. But I know that there are plenty of people who don't. So even though I may want to talk about last night's debate, for example, I'll pay attention to the reaction of the person I'm talking to and if it looks like they don't care, I'll change the subject. IMO, a lot of sports fan fail to do this. I don't think this has to do with them being sports fan, but rather their personality. If you can't notice when your listener is bored, then the fault lies with you.

Last edited by DennyCrane; 05-15-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Keep in mind that many sports fans are guilty of this too. If you're not into sports or follow less "cool" sports like soccer or tennis, they look down on you. We've seen hints of that in this thread. People accusing the OP of being picked last for the team or having the high school QB steal his GF. In other words, his problem with sports and sports fans must stem from some personal grudge. I kind of see what the OP is complaining about. People are into all kinds of things that have zero appeal to me. It's when they get carried away with it and shove it in my face that I have a problem with it. Religion is a perfect example. Believe whatever you want, but do the rest of us a favor and show some restraint. Don't judge us cause we don't believe in the same things and don't start spouting your beliefs as if we're supposed to agree. Same with sports or anything else you feel strongly about.

I think some people just assume that everyone loves sports as much as them. So they'll start talking about the game that was on last night or news that so-and-so got traded without really noticing that the listener has no interest. One thing that I follow pretty closely is politics. But I know that there are plenty of people who don't. So even though I may want to talk about last night's debate, for example, I'll pay attention to the reaction of the person I'm talking to and if it looks like they don't care, I'll change the subject. IMO, a lot of sports fan fail to do this. I don't think this has to do with them being sports fan, but rather their personality. If you can't notice when your listener is bored, then the fault lies with you.
I agree with you completely!

Yeah - I only talk sports with other sports fans. Most of my best friends could care less about sports. I'm a HUGE Michigan fan - that's where I went to school. I met my best friend there. She could care less about Michigan sports! The only time we talk about it is to laugh over how obsessed I am about it and how she can barely tell the different sports apart!

I think that the people that dominate the conversation with anything that the other person isn't interested in are usually just pushy people or socially clueless people - and it's annoying no matter what it is. I hate it when people shove religion in my face, too. And as for politics - I usually only discuss it with my friends that agree with me - it usually becomes too heated too quickly with people that don't!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
I honestly don't see or understand what is so exciting about sports. People get all worked up and excited, cheer on for their team, and paint their bodies, etc. Some people treat it like a religion, especially football. They get mad and cry if their teams loses.

Even as a child, I never had any interest in sports. My parents put on a baseball team when I was 4 and I remember sitting on the bench at practice refusing to play. The coach and my parents begged and begged me to practice but I refused.

I don't mind playing sports with a few good friends or with my cousins, but I don't like playing it on teams or at school.

Is there something with me because I have no interests in sports?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Keep in mind that many sports fans are guilty of this too. If you're not into sports or follow less "cool" sports like soccer or tennis, they look down on you. We've seen hints of that in this thread. People accusing the OP of being picked last for the team or having the high school QB steal his GF. In other words, his problem with sports and sports fans must stem from some personal grudge.
To be fair the OP brought it upon himself. You can't call a certain group of people rubes just because you don't understand them and not expect some flak in return. It has nothing to do with these folks looking down on the OP.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
To be fair the OP brought it upon himself. You can't call a certain group of people rubes just because you don't understand them and not expect some flak in return. It has nothing to do with these folks looking down on the OP.
It's fine to call him out for calling you and people like you boorish rubes. You can attack him on the basis of his making generalizations about you. But why the need to attack him personally, asking whether he was picked last for dodgeball and so forth? That to me seems no different than what the OP is guilty of. He called you a boorish rube for liking sports so you retaliate by saying he was probably a loser in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships