Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Has anyone ever been in a relationship of any type with those types of weird sports fanatics who space out intently and blurt out comments to the television and rant and rave at the television as if they are "the coach" of their favorite team when they watch pro-football. Or when they watch hours and hours of it as if it is some highly entertaining movie and then they can recite sports history and sports plays and statistics like an encyclopedia to you? These types also like to approach everything in life as if they are "coaching" a pro-football team.
What are your thoughts on such people? I consider them to be boorish rubes but I was wondering if others had similar or dissimilar conclusions.

The nice ones I actually like. The jerkoffjocks I hate.

I am not a sports freak by any means. I just provide the food for such situations and even some things make me blurt out...bad baseball catches(misses), car wrecks, amazing touchdowns etc.

The people I know use it as just another reason to get together and talk about something thats doesn't REALLY matter so no one gets ticked and its all just food and laughs. I notice these people don't really gossip like little you know whats either so its all good. Light fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,085,740 times
I know people who's lives seem to revolve around football, like you describe. The important thing is that they know it's a bit absurd and are the type who can laugh when we make fun of them, like Bondurant seems to be. Someone with no sense of humor about it, who really has no other interests in life would be intolerable, I think. But hey, life can be enriched by having a few boorish rubes for friends, no?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
I think every sports fan understands that if you yell at the TV loudly enough they CAN hear you.
My Dad certainly thought so!

I can't stand sports myself (even the noise), but we all have to fill our voids with one BS or another...

I did use to doze off very nicely on soccer games, though! That monotonous noise doesn't annoy me - it's soothing and relaxing.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:27 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
I yell and curse at the TV too, but I do it in the privacy of my own home, and if my favorite team loses, then I sleep it off and wake up fine the next day. The outcome of Super Bowl XLV only bothered me until I went to sleep that night. By the way, most of my reputation points have not come from the sports section of this message board, so clearly I'm capable of having intelligent conversations about matters other than sports.

Furthermore, you sound like one of those Noam Chomsky sycophants ("Sports are the opiate of the masses!"). But you know what? I watch the news, read the paper and surf the internet, and I do it five days a week in spite of how depressing and frustrating many current events are, so if you have a problem with me tuning out and escaping the other two days of the week, then tough.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:31 PM

One of those moment that made me scream: OH MY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD

He had it by the tippy toes and it was the winning goal!:
Video Of Steelers WR Santonio Holmes Super Bowl 43 Touchdown Catch | Steelers Depot

TIPPY TOES! Thats just crazy.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Ha ha that is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've always liked the line, "Sports fans have to be smart enough to understand the game, but dumb enough to think that it matters."

Old 05-13-2011, 12:51 PM

Too true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I think competitive sports teaches our children that the object of life is to compete with others. The perfect primer for war.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:52 PM

I bet others would have a different opinion of you.

Is everything a big up-hill battle or competition with you?

I've noticed that the competitive sports lovers enjoy arguing a lot about trivial petty junk. It drives me nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I am a college football fanatic. I scream at the TV. I yell and jump up and down. I swear. I curse. I get excited when fall comes! I love it! I certainly have a life and I don't approach everything in life like I am the coach. I simply have a love of sports. It's no different than having a love for anything else. I'm also an avid reader. I also like to run, swim, cook, and do all sorts of things. I'm a musical theatre performer. I am definitely not a boorish rube. I also married a college football fanatic. He's not a boorish rube either.

Sounds like you had a bad experience with one sports fanatic and think they are all the same.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:53 PM

I do not want boorish rubes as friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I know people who's lives seem to revolve around football, like you describe. The important thing is that they know it's a bit absurd and are the type who can laugh when we make fun of them, like Bondurant seems to be. Someone with no sense of humor about it, who really has no other interests in life would be intolerable, I think. But hey, life can be enriched by having a few boorish rubes for friends, no?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Too true.
Sports are good for kids actually. It teaches them social skills at an age where that barely matters. It teaches them to work with others while staying fit. BUT I think the mistake is made when a coach does not get involved enough with the kids and if the kid only does sports alone without an art it can create an intellectual imbalance. Same thing for any art only geared person. When the extremes grow up the have a hard time adapting and mixing with others of unlike minds and see the stranger as some sort of threat. Falling victim to xenophobia is not good for either side of that fence. Its a social handicap that can take years to fix if its ever fixed at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships