Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 12:20 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunMike View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I removed the first sentence. I did say "occasional" about video games, but I guess if that comes off as "potential gamer nerd-type", I'll remove it completely although that's not true lol

So about the two pics, others agree B is better than A for main one?
B is definitely better.

As far as the gaming thing, I don't see how "occasional" means serious gamer unless she doesn't want her guy playing videogames in general. I think you are fine. Though, if you are really concerned about it, you could always remove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 07:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Hello forum, I am new here and would like some help with my online dating profile. I'm 25, been in a relationship for the past 5 years and a little out of touch with the dating world and have never tried online dating. I thought to give it a try because I'm fairly busy with my business and not really into the whole bar/club scene. So far, this is what I came up with. Please give me harsh feedback on everything. Thank you very much in advance

Heading: Prince Charming checking in!

Main photo (copy/paste into new window to see without the "url")

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/752/alex15e.jpg (broken link)

Other photos:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8605/alex10o.jpg (broken link)
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1577/alex16.jpg (broken link)
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7028/alex3a.jpg (broken link)
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3395/alex13g.jpg (broken link)
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5066/racey.jpg (broken link)

Profile content:

Hello POF! First off, congratulations to all you lucky single ladies searching for a super awesome guy to date because I am now officially single and available! I do realize that its a little strange looking to meet people online, but I assure you that I'm a sane, normal guy. I promise I'm not some creepo looking to hump anything that moves, and I definitely won't be sending you photos of my package, so at least you don't have to worry about that.

Now that we got that out of the way -- a little about me. I grew up in Europe and moved to the U.S. to attend college to study management. After graduating, I decided to make Miami my home and started a business in the automotive industry. I would definitely consider myself a very hard-working and ambitious person, but not to the point that I let my business consume all of my time and energy. In my free time I like going to the beach, working out, spending an evening in a nice restaurant with friends, etc. I love traveling and discovering new places. I like to travel outside FL at least once every couple of months, and outside the U.S. at least twice a year. I'm not a big partier but do go out to clubs once in a while when a really good DJ is playing.

I enjoy watching movies and have a very diverse taste (some of my favorites are Dark Knight, Inception, Scarface, Pan's Labyrinth, Interview with the Vampire, Edward Scissorhands, etc) and shows (big fan of Dexter), as well as gaming on PS3 occasionally; I enjoy all gaming genres from racing to RPG's. I love listening to rock music, my favorite bands are The Beatles, Guns & Roses, and Aerosmith. My favorite song of all time is "Let It Be" (always wanted to learn guitar but can never find time for it, maybe one day...). I also like going to concerts and shows! My other interests include photography, learning about new cultures, and trying new cuisines. I can't live without steak, seafood, and sushi!

I'm a huge car and motorcycle guy and love taking mine to the race track. Health is also important to me. To stay in shape I practice jiujitsu, lift weights, swim, and enjoy running outdoors (especially on the beach). MMA is my favorite sport, I watch most UFC and Strikeforce events. Basically I try to live life to the fullest and get the most out of every day! I'm also very passionate about helping others, especially kids. I'm currently working on starting a nonprofit organization that donates used Sony PSP's to children's hospitals and foster homes. I didn't have much growing up and it means a lot to me to be able to make some very unlucky kids a little happier and improve their outlook on life. My biggest aspiration in life is to make a significant positive difference in the world.

As far as what I'm looking for - I'm hoping to find a girl who's beautiful, kindhearted, honest, and emotionally stable (a little drama is OK, just don't go psychotic on me). I also find it very attractive when a girl is comfortable in her own skin and doesn't need five layers of makeup or the latest fashion wear to feel pretty and carry herself with confidence. The biggest turn-off for me would have to be when girls start playing games; life's too short for that. I want someone I can be myself with, not someone I have to try to impress 24/7. I'm not a date-a-million-girls at the same time kind of guy, my last relationship was 5 years long and by now I know exactly what I want in life. I don't like superficial and fake things, so if I'm seeing someone I want it to be meaningful.

Your profile is too long. No girl is reading all that

Old 11-26-2011, 07:32 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
Hello forum, I am new here and would like some help with my online dating profile. I'm 25, been in a relationship for the past 5 years and a little out of touch with the dating world and have never tried online dating. I thought to give it a try because I'm fairly busy with my business and not really into the whole bar/club scene. So far, this is what I came up with. Please give me harsh feedback on everything. Thank you very much in advance

Heading: Prince Charming checking in!

Main photo (copy/paste into new window to see without the "url")

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/752/alex15e.jpg (broken link)

Other photos:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8605/alex10o.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1577/alex16.jpg (broken link)
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7028/alex3a.jpg (broken link)
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3395/alex13g.jpg (broken link)
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5066/racey.jpg (broken link)

Profile content:

Hello POF! First off, congratulations to all you lucky single ladies searching for a super awesome guy to date because I am now officially single and available! I do realize that its a little strange looking to meet people online, but I assure you that I'm a sane, normal guy. I promise I'm not some creepo looking to hump anything that moves, and I definitely won't be sending you photos of my package, so at least you don't have to worry about that.

Now that we got that out of the way -- a little about me. I grew up in Europe and moved to the U.S. to attend college to study management. After graduating, I decided to make Miami my home and started a business in the automotive industry. I would definitely consider myself a very hard-working and ambitious person, but not to the point that I let my business consume all of my time and energy. In my free time I like going to the beach, working out, spending an evening in a nice restaurant with friends, etc. I love traveling and discovering new places. I like to travel outside FL at least once every couple of months, and outside the U.S. at least twice a year. I'm not a big partier but do go out to clubs once in a while when a really good DJ is playing.

I enjoy watching movies and have a very diverse taste (some of my favorites are Dark Knight, Inception, Scarface, Pan's Labyrinth, Interview with the Vampire, Edward Scissorhands, etc) and shows (big fan of Dexter), as well as gaming on PS3 occasionally; I enjoy all gaming genres from racing to RPG's. I love listening to rock music, my favorite bands are The Beatles, Guns & Roses, and Aerosmith. My favorite song of all time is "Let It Be" (always wanted to learn guitar but can never find time for it, maybe one day...). I also like going to concerts and shows! My other interests include photography, learning about new cultures, and trying new cuisines. I can't live without steak, seafood, and sushi!

I'm a huge car and motorcycle guy and love taking mine to the race track. Health is also important to me. To stay in shape I practice jiujitsu, lift weights, swim, and enjoy running outdoors (especially on the beach). MMA is my favorite sport, I watch most UFC and Strikeforce events. Basically I try to live life to the fullest and get the most out of every day! I'm also very passionate about helping others, especially kids. I'm currently working on starting a nonprofit organization that donates used Sony PSP's to children's hospitals and foster homes. I didn't have much growing up and it means a lot to me to be able to make some very unlucky kids a little happier and improve their outlook on life. My biggest aspiration in life is to make a significant positive difference in the world.

As far as what I'm looking for - I'm hoping to find a girl who's beautiful, kindhearted, honest, and emotionally stable (a little drama is OK, just don't go psychotic on me). I also find it very attractive when a girl is comfortable in her own skin and doesn't need five layers of makeup or the latest fashion wear to feel pretty and carry herself with confidence. The biggest turn-off for me would have to be when girls start playing games; life's too short for that. I want someone I can be myself with, not someone I have to try to impress 24/7. I'm not a date-a-million-girls at the same time kind of guy, my last relationship was 5 years long and by now I know exactly what I want in life. I don't like superficial and fake things, so if I'm seeing someone I want it to be meaningful.
The profiles great, with the exception of the highlighted in red. May turn prospects off and prevent further reading.

The highlighted in green photos awesome. Shows some arm muscle. Good for profile. Best Wishes

Old 11-26-2011, 08:07 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,003 times
Yes I agree, delete the first paragraph. It's bad marketing.

Other than that, it looks good!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:39 PM

22 posts, read 30,971 times
OK, got rid of it. Also I wanted to ask about sending first email. How do you stand out when girls get like 100 messages? What I did is divided it into two parts. The first part is about what the girl wrote in her profile and our common interests. The second part is the same for each girl and is as follows:

"I know you probably get a million emails, but I can give you at least three reasons why I'm different. First, I actually have goals in life. I started working in the automotive industry when I was 17, worked my way up and now own a car dealership. Second, I'm a very caring and kindhearted person. I operate a charitable organization that donates video games to children's hospitals and foster homes. Third, I'm a ton of fun to be around, so if you're spending time with me, the chances of you being bored are slim to none! I love traveling, going to the beach, jetskiing, nice clubs and restaurants, racing my car and motorcycle, and more! You are a beautiful girl and you deserve a good guy who will treat you right, so I really hope you give me a chance to get to know you =)"

Comments?

Also for headings I have two to choose from:

A: "Here's why I'm not like other guys...."
B: "Bear (Rawwrr!!!)

Which is better A, or B? Yes, the B makes no sense. Its purely to get attention and stand out so she reads the actual message instead of auto-delete.

P.S. Thanks for compliments people, IMO I'm about average-looking so pics alone without good profile likely won't lead to much success.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:40 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
For what it's worth from another straight, single dude,

I think you're a good lookin' dude.

I've never done online dating so I can't really comment what works as far as profiles but the pics should get you dates.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
OK, got rid of it. Also I wanted to ask about sending first email. How do you stand out when girls get like 100 messages? What I did is divided it into two parts. The first part is about what the girl wrote in her profile and our common interests. The second part is the same for each girl and is as follows:

"I know you probably get a million emails, but I can give you at least three reasons why I'm different. First, I actually have goals in life. I started working in the automotive industry when I was 17, worked my way up and now own a car dealership. Second, I'm a very caring and kindhearted person. I operate a charitable organization that donates video games to children's hospitals and foster homes. Third, I'm a ton of fun to be around, so if you're spending time with me, the chances of you being bored are slim to none! I love traveling, going to the beach, jetskiing, nice clubs and restaurants, racing my car and motorcycle, and more! You are a beautiful girl and you deserve a good guy who will treat you right, so I really hope you give me a chance to get to know you =)"

Comments?

Also for headings I have two to choose from:

A: "Here's why I'm not like other guys...."
B: "Bear (Rawwrr!!!)

Which is better A, or B? Yes, the B makes no sense. Its purely to get attention and stand out so she reads the actual message instead of auto-delete.
Its over kill Mike. May work well in car sales, but work against you in the dating world.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 PM

22 posts, read 30,971 times
Isn't overkill better than underkill though? What about the headings?

Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Isn't overkill better than underkill though? What about the headings?
A over B... get creative, this is where you could grab attention with creative humor.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:38 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,861 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I removed the first sentence. I did say "occasional" about video games, but I guess if that comes off as "potential gamer nerd-type", I'll remove it completely although that's not true lol

So about the two pics, others agree B is better than A for main one?
lol..There is nothing wrong with nerds...
I would say B as the profile pic because you are smiling and the lighting is really good..you are a cutie!!
I like B But it is super serious...not that this is bad but the profile pic should be smiley..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships