Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo1a View Post
I prefer Ipanema-- But Brazil is to expensive now. Colombia is more affordable and it is easier to get a work visa
Copacabana is too expensive so you prefer Ipanema... is that a joke?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE DUDE View Post
I know what you guys mean. I consider myself better than average looking, have no kids, mid 30s, make decent money but the fact that I'm 5 foot 6 disqualifies me from 99% of girls out there...
I wouldn't say 99%. More like 60%.

Life is what it is. Accept and find the 40%...

Old 01-02-2012, 10:19 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times
Quote:
I know what you guys mean. I consider myself better than average looking, have no kids, mid 30s, make decent money but the fact that I'm 5 foot 6 disqualifies me from 99% of girls out there...
I am 5'8.5", mid 30's and no kids, good income.

With your height, are you using the heels in your shoes to make yourself stand tall?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Quote:
****, and I thought I had problems being 5'8". I guess there's always worse out there.

According to Wikipedia's chart, there are a number of countries in the world where I would be considered average or above average height. Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This chart claims that the average man in Mexico is 5'4" and the average woman is 4'11". For comparison, in the US, average man is 5'10", average woman is 5'4.5". That sounds about right.

If we live in a globalized world-- business and travel is global-- why can't dating be global as well?

My best friend is also below average height-- probably ~5'7" would be my guess. His girlfriend was born in Mexico and looks pure "Indian." I'd guess she's no taller than 5'0". However she was internationally adopted by a wealthy white family since she was a baby so culturally she is 100% American. I am very happy for both of them.

At first I used to think that the Latin American "Indian" look wasn't very attractive, but it is starting to grow on me a little. I also think a lot of "mestiza" women can be gorgeous. I know these probably aren't the proper terms.

I wouldn't be interested in "mail order brides" though. I don't want to get married right now anyway-- just find the right girl for a long term relationship. Later this year I want to spend time traveling in different countries, starting with Mexico. If somehow I could find a way to make it work without completely stalling my career, I think it would be awesome to live in another country for a few years. When I was in college I met an instructor from Boston who spent several years living in Nicaragua, and met and got engaged to a girl there. Last I heard though, it is a very tricky process actually getting them a visa to come over here.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:59 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
****, and I thought I had problems being 5'8". I guess there's always worse out there.
You don't honestly believe that being 5'6" disqualifies you from 99% of women do you?

You've never seen a 5'6" man with a wife or girlfriend?

I knew guys who were 5'8" in college and high school who were Mack Daddys. You're barely even short.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
For the guys who are complaining about "height discrimination"...just be confident in who you are and what you have to offer. I (5'8" without heels) personally am not attracted to really tall guys (about 5'10" or 5'11" is my upper preference) And one of my most amazing relationships was with a guy who was probably 5'7"....but he is extremely intelligent (attended Berkeley and Stanford), extremely handsome, talented (was in a band of note), and very confident. He never expressed a concern about his height. He also never had a lack of women who expressed enthusiatic interest in him (which is the reason we broke up).

There is nothing sexier than a confident (not cocky) guy no matter their height.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:16 PM

27 posts, read 64,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I am 5'8.5", mid 30's and no kids, good income.

With your height, are you using the heels in your shoes to make yourself stand tall?
Do you mean walk around with perfect posture? Most women , the vast majority want a man taller than them - even a woman who is 5'3 wants a man taller than her when she puts on her 5 inch heels so that means I am out of the picture.

I do appreciate the supportive comments though.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You don't honestly believe that being 5'6" disqualifies you from 99% of women do you?

You've never seen a 5'6" man with a wife or girlfriend?

I knew guys who were 5'8" in college and high school who were Mack Daddys. You're barely even short.
I'm kind of late bloomer-- I'm 26 and just started dating last year when I was 25, after a long hiatus of not even trying. Height never used to be an issue for me at all. Since around 14 or so I've been consciously aware that I'm a bit shorter than average, but never thought of myself as a "short guy." I'm bitter about this lately mainly because of match.com. I signed up a few months ago. I've since found out that I am instantly disqualified from most of the women on that website-- even when I do a custom search narrowing it down to women who are between 4'11" and 5'4", ~80% of those still want guys who are taller than me-- even the girls who are ~5'0". Not making this up-- you have to see these profiles to believe it. I went out with a girl a few months ago who was 5'0" and I thought she was way too tiny for me. Of course that doesn't stop me from sending them messages anyway. The response rate is extremely low though. I've only gone out with 2 girls I've met from match. I'm on another, smaller, specialized dating site which doesn't let you publically state height preferences in your profile, and that one has let to dates with 7 different girls, fortunately.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'm kind of late bloomer-- I'm 26 and just started dating last year when I was 25, after a long hiatus of not even trying. Height never used to be an issue for me at all. Since around 14 or so I've been consciously aware that I'm a bit shorter than average, but never thought of myself as a "short guy." I'm bitter about this lately mainly because of match.com. I signed up a few months ago. I've since found out that I am instantly disqualified from most of the women on that website-- even when I do a custom search narrowing it down to women who are between 4'11" and 5'4", ~80% of those still want guys who are taller than me-- even the girls who are ~5'0". Not making this up-- you have to see these profiles to believe it. I went out with a girl a few months ago who was 5'0" and I thought she was way too tiny for me. Of course that doesn't stop me from sending them messages anyway. The response rate is extremely low though. I've only gone out with 2 girls I've met from match. I'm on another, smaller, specialized dating site which doesn't let you publically state height preferences in your profile, and that one has let to dates with 7 different girls, fortunately.
Out of curiosity - what are your requirements on dating sites? I've never done internet dating so I don't really know how it works - but everyone talks about heights, age ranges, etc. Is there a body type or weight range limit, too?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Do you mean walk around with perfect posture? Most women , the vast majority want a man taller than them - even a woman who is 5'3 wants a man taller than her when she puts on her 5 inch heels so that means I am out of the picture.

I do appreciate the supportive comments though.
(sigh)

Your height is NOT the issue...your attitude about it is.

I have had several boyfriends who at or around my height (5'8") and their has never been a problem when I wanted to rock my super high heels, ever. But then again, these were very confident men (which is the reason for the attraction)

And just FYI, must actors that we women ooh and aah over are not very tall either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships