Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:31 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
First of all, I think that was totally uncalled for, calling his elders stupid. While it isn't blatantly offensive, it is quite ignorant, and as I mentioned, uncalled for. You seem to want to apologize but can't squeeze it out, and then go on the offensive which makes it even more offensive, with quotes like that. If you read Foma's post, you would see the answer was already posted:

Foma, you did a great job responding clearly, and trying to make others understand. If others can't accept it, well, that's their loss.

Go back and read my post before you attack me next time. If you read my post, you would see that I did apologize to Foma because I asked what the difference was on Asians and Orientals and hurt her feelings.
What I asked is if she was calling her family stupid because her "mother doesn't know any better." I did not say they were stupid, she is insinuating her mother is stupid by saying she doesn't know any better. That's the way I'm reading it anyway.
So, get a grip. I'm not into insulting people but I'm not politically correct either when someone wants me to be, especially when this opinion is not everybodys.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
It's all Greek to me Foma, All Greek!!
Ah, please don't use the G word. They'll come back and say that's offensive too.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:40 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
DullandBoring,
Go back and read my post. I did apologize to Foma for hurting her feelings, but that doesn't mean I'm going to call it the word of god because of what she said. I'm not into offending people on purpose and I did apologize for that and I learned that Foma and others on here like to be called Asians. It's also yours and Fomas opinion that oriental is racist and that's okay. I'm simply stating that not every Asian feels this way. I can see that both of you are young and have a lot to learn that others are not going to fall at your grace because you choose to make a statement on something that has nothing whatsoever to do with the posters question.
You are talking in circles, desperately throwing out arguments hoping one of them will stick. I read your post. You have apparently not read mine or anyone else's though as you repeatedly try to hammer down the same point, that not everyone out there is offended by the term Oriental. I can't continue to just constantly repeat myself but I will say it one more time. No one has argued that the term offends everyone. Foma and I both stated instances in which it's usage is seen as more acceptable. There are some people, Asians included, who are not offended by the term. The same would hold true for the "N-word" or for calling all women the "c-word". It is generally regarded though as an offensive term. You did half-apologize to foma, but then went on to aggressively defend the word, almost making any sort of apology meaningless.

It's up to you songinthewind7. You can choose to listen to the countless (go back and read this thread...it's not just foma and I) people who have told you that the term if offensive, or you can choose to continually aggressively assert your ignorance and flaunt your own lack of interest in hearing from others or educating yourself. I have a pretty good idea though which you'll choose. You've been given the knowledge and it's up to you what to do with it. I just simply don't have the patience to attempt to educate someone who simply doesn't care to be educated and will not waste any more of my time doing so. It's much easier to put the blame on everyone else rather than attempting to change yourself. If you are ever so interested in researching the term a bit on your own accord, start here:

The Orient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To state that a person's opinion should be discounted because of their age is the ultimate cop out. Why bother debating anything then? Just take a poll and see who is the oldest and declare their point of view the Golden Rule. Age doesn't necessarily bring wisdom. The past few posts of yours are evident of that.

I'm done with this thread. It's hopeless at this point. For the record though, since you're suddenly interested in staying on topic, I answered the original poster's question on the very first page.

Last edited by dullnboring; 09-16-2007 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-16-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
You are talking in circles, desperately throwing out arguments hoping one of them will stick. I read your post. You have apparently not read mine or anyone else's though as you repeatedly try to hammer down the same point, that not everyone out there is offended by the term Oriental. No one has argued that. Foma and I both stated instances in which it's usage is seen as more acceptable. There are some people, Asians included, who are not offended by the term. The same would hold true for the "N-word" or for calling all women the "c-word". It is generally regarded though as an offensive term. You did half-apologize to foma, but then went on to aggressively defend the word, almost making any sort of apology meaningless.

It's up to you songinthewind7. You can choose to listen to the countless (go back and read this thread...it's not just foma and I) people who have told you that the term if offensive, or you can choose to continually aggressively assert your ignorance and flaunt your own lack of interest in hearing from others or educating yourself. I have a pretty good idea though which you'll choose. You've been given the knowledge and it's up to you what to do with it. It's much easier to put the blame on everyone else rather than attempting to change yourself. Age doesn't necessarily bring wisdom. The past few posts of yours are evident of that.

I'm done with this thread. It's hopeless at this point. For the record though, since you're suddenly interested in staying on topic, I answered the original poster's question on the very first page.
Geez, I'm not arguing. I said I understand and realize what some Asians want to be referred as.
Again, not all Asians feel that way. Foma said so herself in referring to her family. Because I don't seem to be agreeing with you all that ALL Asians feel this way, I am the ignorant one. If I sent this to a couple of my Chinese friends (they prefer to be called Chinese) they would be laughing there butts off now. I'm going to tell them about this and see what they say.
By the way, I don't like the n-word or the c-word either but that doesn't mean there aren't people out there that refer to each other that way, hopefully in a joking term and if someone wants to refer to me that way, so be it. It's there opinion and I laugh it off.
Again, I'm not arguing. Obviously, you haven't seen arguing.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:13 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,610,853 times
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Old 09-16-2007, 10:11 PM

645 posts, read 1,276,535 times
Asians are Indians and Pakistanis. Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese are oriental. That’s what I think and I don’t care what other people say. You can always find somebody that will tell you that you’re right, it’s called confirmation bias, you only look for evidence to support your own argument.

Why don’t you see more Asian men with black women? I haven’t a clue! Why does it bother you? Why can’t you just accept the fact that there are people that do not embrace diversity; moreover, why does it bother you that somebody doesn’t want you based on race? That alone should give you enough reason not to want them!

I have never dated, kissed, or pursued a black woman for sex or any type of relationship outside of friendship. I am not attracted to them. I also do not date Asian women. I am white and I only date white women, Italian women, Middle Eastern, and white looking Hispanic women. The bottom line for me is if they look Mediterranean to white, they’re ok. Well if they have kinky hair, I won’t date them no matter what their skin color is. Is this racist? Yes it is racist because I want to continue my race. It’s called human instinct and no matter how hard you try and change people, it won’t work. In fact, it will probably have the exact opposite effect. For example, I’m so tired of hearing about racism and discrimination that I actually don’t want to be bothered with anybody that’s not white.

Everybody is racist and that’s the bottom line. Supposedly there was only one perfect person that ever walked the earth and that was Jesus. Well in western culture anyway. I’m sure that bushmen in Australia, tribesmen on the Serengeti, and other cultures have their own story, but the bottom line is, “If you’re telling me that you’re not racist to some degree, you’re lying to yourself.” I personally don’t care how much somebody says that they’re not racist, I know that they are! The problem is that everybody has “Black & White” thinking. Racism = KKK & Black Panthers or in reality, only white people are racist…

Get over it and stop trying to make everybody live in Utopia, it’s never going to happen and you’re actually alienating people.

That’s an honest answer.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:13 PM

72,421 posts, read 18,206,429 times
I really didn't think that Asians or Orientals is an issue.Never thought it was an issue.
Maybe the word Oriental is old fashion.So where is the Orient? In Asia?
People would ask me "Are you from the Orient" I would answer "Yes".Are you Asian? They would ask me because they think I look Spanish. Are you Chinese? "Yes" So,I am not offended.Life is too short.
End of topic for me.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:43 AM

127 posts, read 378,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
White people are those descended from Europe, and the areas west of the Caucasus.
Although I have used this term before and I'm personally not offended by it, it sounds really stupid.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:26 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,561,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Asians are Indians and Pakistanis. Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese are oriental. That’s what I think and I don’t care what other people say. You can always find somebody that will tell you that you’re right, it’s called confirmation bias, you only look for evidence to support your own argument.

Why don’t you see more Asian men with black women? I haven’t a clue! Why does it bother you? Why can’t you just accept the fact that there are people that do not embrace diversity; moreover, why does it bother you that somebody doesn’t want you based on race? That alone should give you enough reason not to want them!

I have never dated, kissed, or pursued a black woman for sex or any type of relationship outside of friendship. I am not attracted to them. I also do not date Asian women. I am white and I only date white women, Italian women, Middle Eastern, and white looking Hispanic women. The bottom line for me is if they look Mediterranean to white, they’re ok. Well if they have kinky hair, I won’t date them no matter what their skin color is. Is this racist? Yes it is racist because I want to continue my race. It’s called human instinct and no matter how hard you try and change people, it won’t work. In fact, it will probably have the exact opposite effect. For example, I’m so tired of hearing about racism and discrimination that I actually don’t want to be bothered with anybody that’s not white.

Everybody is racist and that’s the bottom line. Supposedly there was only one perfect person that ever walked the earth and that was Jesus. Well in western culture anyway. I’m sure that bushmen in Australia, tribesmen on the Serengeti, and other cultures have their own story, but the bottom line is, “If you’re telling me that you’re not racist to some degree, you’re lying to yourself.” I personally don’t care how much somebody says that they’re not racist, I know that they are! The problem is that everybody has “Black & White” thinking. Racism = KKK & Black Panthers or in reality, only white people are racist…

Get over it and stop trying to make everybody live in Utopia, it’s never going to happen and you’re actually alienating people.

That’s an honest answer.
Actually in the US, when we want to refer to Indians and Pakistanis, we usually say south asians, and when we say want to refer to Chinese Japanese etc, we say east asians or asians. That is the US connotation of the word (when we say asians in the US, its usually refers to what you call orientals). Its more of a usage problem than offensiveness, the way I look at it. To communicate properly, you have to use the correct word; folks might get confused whether you are talking about ppl or products. Your mentality does not need to change, that is your right, and nothing wrong imo, but to communicate properly, you need to use the right words so the right meaning is conveyed.

And I certainly can understand why one would find only certain ppl hot. And to tell the truth, I find asian women hotter, so maybe there is the simple answer to the OP's question, maybe most asian men also find asian women hotter, but they themselves just happen to be asian. That doesn't mean that they are all racists for not dating outside of their race.

Last edited by person; 09-17-2007 at 06:52 PM..

Old 09-18-2007, 02:01 PM

11 posts, read 30,039 times
Arrow ingnorence is bliss...bliss in some cases is all u need

really any one who is offended by ppl like the person who posted it have to much time on there hands. the person who wrote this is obviously an ingnoranus that if someone pays any heed to what he says almost makes them just as ingonorant. i am a black women....uuummmm the reason i wouldn't date an asian man is (besides the fact that i am a lesbian) is most black women need a man that is bigger and more masculine then them and asians are generally smaller ppl,that is only thing i could think of but other wise i really can't see why they couldn't date. they both are beautiful cultures. it is to bad that white american are not familiar with clture because they have none except what they have taken from other cultures and now try to claim it as there own such as pizza and hot dogs (italian and polish). I do not believe everyone is racist. U can not like what u do not know and so therfore everyone may be ignorant to other cultures but it is what u do with your ignorance that makes the difference. there are ppl like the person who wrote this for whom ignorance is bliss. I bet he also believes in things like pure blooded white ppl lol. sounds a little harry potter if u ask me. there is no such thing. The reason America is what it is today is because it is a melting pot. it would not be a place where ignorance could be freely stated online and abroad if ppl didn't melt together in society dispite their religion race sexuality or whatever. i hope this man finds a little white lady to settle down with and live the american dream with the white fence more debt then they make a yr to many kids and all the other realities of what this guy is saying he wants. My final wish is that his wife leaves him for somewhere with a little more intelligence and ethnicity lol maybe me good day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships