Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 05:47 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,490,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
I believe that most asian men don't have the depth, the versatility, the range, the creativity, the sophistication, the passion, or the power to relate to the magnificent black woman. Even black men shy away from beautiful, educated, ambitious black women.
Wow.... This is really deep.. I need to find some boots.....

Old 12-23-2007, 06:13 AM

384 posts, read 1,710,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
i think most Jamaican speak English since English is their official language
I know they speak english, I was referring to being raised in America and going to Jamaica to hear another race speak patios.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackadocious View Post
Okay, I'm 45 and I knew that using the word "Oriental" in reference to Asians is offensive.

I think you should respect people and their wishes. Once, a colleague told me that her feelings were hurt when, in referring to "Whites", the "w" usually isn't capitalized. Whereas, when people refer to Blacks or African-Americans, or Asians or Latinos, the first letter is usually capitalized. So, from then on, I always capitalize the "w" when referring to "Whites" and by that, I mean people who are primarily of European ancestry.

What's wrong with honoring peoples' cultures??

Look, we live in a culturally pluralistic society. Let's face it, we're not always going to know how to refer to one another or what may or may not be offensive. All we can do is be open and respectful and when someone gives us a teachable moment, actually learn from it.

Not all blacks likes to be refered to as "African-American", mainly those who were born in the United States are called "African-American" most of those who were born in other countries and raised here or have parents from other countries would rather be referred to as caribbean, Jamaica, Trinidadian...etc, many find it an insult to be called "Afraican-American".

Old 12-23-2007, 07:52 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
I believe that most asian men don't have the depth, the versatility, the range, the creativity, the sophistication, the passion, or the power to relate to the magnificent black woman. Even black men shy away from beautiful, educated, ambitious black women.
Some black women are magnificent, some are definitely NOT. Just watch Jerry Springer's shows.

And of course, the same can be said of any race or group of people. Some are magnificent human beings, others are not.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:09 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,781,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinNY View Post
I don't know too many Asian men and black couples but there is quite a lot of Asian women and black couples. We even see it in the media.

1. Tiger Woods (mother is Asian and father is African American)

Professional golfer, worth like a billion dollar already with pension the last I heard. Maybe we need more of this combination. He (Tiger Woods) is engaged to a girl from Sweden (I think)....

2. Hines Ward (mother is Asian and father is African American)

Professional NFL player, MVP award.

These are two well know people in the news. There are more of course that I can't think of.
Kimora Lee Simmons....also Asian mother, Black father.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:21 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,781,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
That is true, you will find quite a few Asian men with caribbean women.. I have seen the most popular figure being in Jamaica.

The hardest thing I had to get used to was to actually here a white or Asian person speak Jamaican, it just didn't seem right...but it so amazing how diverse most of the Islands are.
Why is it amazing for the Caribbean to be diverse? Especially since they have a much more ingrained sense of imperialism there. Talk about stereotypes...that's like being amazed at the idea that there are Black people in Japan.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Why is it amazing for the Caribbean to be diverse? Especially since they have a much more ingrained sense of imperialism there. Talk about stereotypes...that's like being amazed at the idea that there are Black people in Japan.
Why take things to such negative thought? First try to see what the possibilities of both sides of a statement can be before you begin to think negatively.
It's amazing that such a small island you find more diversity and acceptance of those differences compared to larger countries. Call it what you may if you think that I'm stereotyping, but taken into consideration that I have Jamaican, Scottish and Indian in me I have every right to still be amazed at how diverse most islands can be. Being a by product of such diversity I will always be amaze.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Kimora Lee Simmons....also Asian mother, Black father.
My boyfriend is Chinese father black mother, my co-worker is black and her husband korean, my niece is black(Jamaican) and chinese, I can list a lot of people I know that are mixed with oriental (or Asian) and black, they are out there, just not as plentyful so some would see them as being virtually non existent.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:36 AM

549 posts, read 1,930,550 times
I've skimmed through this and it seems like most people that responded aren't Asian. It's fine, everyone has their assumptions and conclusions based on their own experiences. Honestly, I can't even speak on behalf of Asians. Though, I'll throw out some points:

-"Oriental"=offensive? That's the first time I've heard that and I even use it to distinguish East Asians (Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, etc) from South Asians (Indian, Pakistani, etc)
-Some Asian parents want their daughters to date a White guy to better fit into society.
-Some Asian parents are completely traditional and want their child (boy or girl) to date only their own ethnicity. That excludes Asians from other countries even.
-Fewer Asian parents are completely liberal. For example, I'm currently in a relationship with a Latina (lasting 4 years). My brother's also dated a Russian and went to Prom with an American White girl years back. My sister's dated a Middle Eastern guy and currently with a Jewish guy.
-Personally, I generally don't find Asian nor Blacks physically attractive (of course, there are exceptions). I've dated an Asian girl before and I've been friends with girls from both races.

You can't make generalizations for an entire race. One can give personal preferences or his/her own experience. For example, that one Asian dude said that Asians have small ding dongs. Well, sadly, that's his personal experience. But to refer to my first sentence in this paragraph, one's ineptitude doesn't necessarily reflect on everyone else. Though, I'm not out of the loop and I've heard that saying before. I figure it works in my favor though and I'll leave it at that.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:16 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Some black women are magnificent, some are definitely NOT. Just watch Jerry Springer's shows.

And of course, the same can be said of any race or group of people. Some are magnificent human beings, others are not.
Well, I'm talking about the many who are obviously. Magnificent, they are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships