Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Do they even have a football program anymore or did the NCAA finally put them on permanent probation?
hahaha, they have a football team. Give them time they'll be good again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
hahaha, they have a football team. Give them time they'll be good again
I wouldn't be surprised if they get the death penalty. SMU never recovered.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:
So basically you're ignorant, don't put any effort into meeting people from USA and then spout off stereotypes?
I have traveled across this country and lived in different states.

Quote:
Please, hurry out of here because you're not wanted.
You're just overly patriotic and now you're offended that I spoke badly about your country. It's understandable.

Quote:
It's funny how some people do great and other want to be unhappy.
It's called life, and in life, not everybody has the same experiences. I will also say that your points are just as valid as mine.

Quote:
It seems to me like you suffer from not knowing too much about anything outside of USA. Maybe try getting out of the country and see how you're treated by other nationalities. You'll see just how good USA is.
1. I have my passport and I have been treated well by people from other nationalities. In fact, I have been treated better by, say, Mexicans then I have Americans.

2. Stop with the scare tactics, the American media has most of you Americans living in chronic paranoia. This is one of the reasons why so few Americans own a passport and travel abroad.

3. If YOU traveled abroad, you would know that in places like Korea, not only are the cities much cleaner, but that you can also walk around without any fear of being a victim of random crime.

Anyhow, check out this blog sometime, it's further evidence to support my claims and I agree 100% with the author: 17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America | Fluent in 3 months - Language Hacking and Travel Tips

Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I have traveled across this country and lived in different states.

You're just overly patriotic and now you're offended that I spoke badly about your country. It's understandable.

It's called life, and in life, not everybody has the same experiences. I will also say that your points are just as valid as mine.

I have my passport and I have been treated well by people from other nationalities. In fact, I have been treated better by, say, Mexicans then I have Americans.

Anyhow, check out this blog sometime, it's further evidence to support my claims and I agree 100% with the author: 17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America | Fluent in 3 months - Language Hacking and Travel Tips
Nope, I'm not overly patriotic.. I just know ignorance when I see it. I don't go around bashing other nations, and anyone that does is flat out ignorant. You're one of them.

The fact that you're posting a blog like that to me and thinking that's reason enough is flat out hilarious. I hope someday when you're 20 you'll realize how dumb you sound.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Nope, I just know ignorance when I see it. I don't go around bashing other nations, and anyone that does is flat out ignorant. You're one of them.

The fact that you're posting a blog like that to me and thinking that's reason enough is flat out hilarious. I hope someday when you're 20 you'll realize how dumb you sound.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying on this matter, anyways. IMO, people that bash their own country (where they currently reside, no less) are akin to those who bash their own race -- you just end up looking stupid.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Default Would you date somebody not from the states?

If i was ever single again i don't see me having a massive amount of choice in the matter...

Old 06-26-2012, 10:48 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Quote:
In GENERAL, America is a very insular, xenophobic, isolationist society so both men and women are going to have a hard time finding suitable companionship. And the older you get the harder it gets so you have to pair off early in this country.

If I were you, and with your looks, you would do quite well in NYC or California; but I would not move there just for the opposite sex being that you have a child, and you're not exactly 18 years young.
Quote:
American culture is so messed up that walking around smiling is not good enough. If anything, that will make you a target for robbery, or at the very least, people will become angry at you because you look so happy.
Quote:
As an american born citizen, I'm right there on board with her. This happens to many people (i.e, Indians, Koreans, Puerto Ricans, Caribbeans) who come to America from other countries; they seek to integrate into American culture, but then they're met with racism, unprovoked hostility, indifference, and rudeness so they learn to only stick to their own kind within America because their own people are the only ones who will accept them, understand them and treat them nice.

As far as the original poster, I failed to mention that you might want to find a town that has many Germans living within it. I know around where I live there is a little Ukraine and you have to read/speak Ukrainian if you really want to get "inside" their community.

I was born and raised in the U.S.- my mother is South American and my father was an Eastern European Jew and I share similar views as yours.

Where I differ from you is I believe you are describing certain parts of US, not the US as a whole.

I can't help but wonder how OP ended up in a place like Alabama, a state known to embody the worst American stereotypes (bad school system, insular, homophobic). Alabama is the last place I would ever want to live unless I had to write a paper about modern day segregation.

Most international people who move to US chose coastal areas and/or cities either on the East Coast or California.

In international hubs such as Miami, NY, Boston, and Cambridge different cultures are celebrated and you will meet many people from US and all over the world.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I agree with a lot of what you're saying on this matter, anyways. IMO, people that bash their own country (where they currently reside, no less) are akin to those who bash their own race -- you just end up looking stupid.

It's typically people who can't cut it in every day life so they make excuses, things that are out of their control. It helps them cope for a sub-par life. If they are living that way because they're black, it obviously wasn't THEIR fault anything happened, just the fault of their race , or their country.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 AM

and to respond to OP's question: I'm a woman and I would date a man who wasn't from the US as long as he was respectful. I have dated a guy from Brazil.

From living in Boston and Miami, I think men love dating woman from other places. Boston has more of a yellow-fever vibe but Miami is just one huge melting pot where 60% of the population is Hispanic and there is also a large amount of Russian, Germans, and American Jews.

Most Americans who move down there know they are moving to an international city that doesn't feel like anywhere in the US.

Boston's educated side and Cambridge is very diverse and probably half of the dating that goes on is between people from different cultures.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
It's typically people who can't cut it in every day life so they make excuses, things that are out of their control. It helps them cope for a sub-par life. If they are living that way because they're black, it obviously wasn't THEIR fault anything happened, just the fault of their race , or their country.

Are you black and/or living outside of your country of origin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships