Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
that this stuff sounds like farm machinery, [/url]
Maybe a Peyote farm? (I just gave it a listen)

If it was just the music, I'd say agree to disagree, and focus on other stuff, AND make a concerted effort to understand and appreciate (if not like) her tastes. I find with music, that if someone can take me to the "place" that they enjoy the music, to the "mindset", then sometimes I can get into it.

But as another said, if you had such an awkward moment, maybe music was not the only issue.

My advice: Take a step back, and if she's worth it, give it a try, and if she's not, then move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't expect to just put anyone through that sound. My taste vary, but I know my friends often roll their eyes if they happen by and I have Enya or Phantom of the Oprah blaring from the system. I also wouldn't expect to torment any of my senior Friends that stop by with linkin park, flo rider, drake, pink, rihanna, or chili peppers playing out loud Burn it down baby.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
LOL! I totally understand. At least one musical taste in common is all I ask.....
I agree! My husband and I both like alternative rock. He likes real punk and I like bubble gum punk. I also like a lot of classic rock. But our love of alternative gives us some music in common that we both love. Music/concerts, etc. are really important to lots of people including us. Not having something in common that is this important would leave a big gap in my opinion.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times
Quote:
I've always had a girlfriend, yes
This city is just so weird though so many hipsters, so many alternative lifestyles. Music is huge for me, I couldn't live without it. I couldn't date someone with a taste for that techno junk.
To each their own.
Going to a live Electronic (techno) concert is an experience like non other. An Electronic concert with general admission at an indoor venue is the best way to experience it.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,664,448 times
I'd say someone's taste in music (like food, tv shows, etc) is not really a reason to stop dating them but from your post it seems there are bigger differences than just the music. You cracked a joke about her music and instead of taking it in stride she reacted annoyed, the whole date and future relationship were dead in the water after that.

As to dubstep, I used to not care for it but was with my friends in a fully loaded car when one of them had a bunch of e for all of us to try. So we parked in the parking lot of this bar on this loaded bar strip and began rolling, the person in the back put on pandora set to dubstep and I found the music to connect with me like it never did before.

Since then, I sorta like it. But I have to be in a certain mood.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
Quote:
I've always had a girlfriend, yes
This city is just so weird though so many hipsters, so many alternative lifestyles. Music is huge for me, I couldn't live without it. I couldn't date someone with a taste for that techno junk.
So then I take it you are on the outside of that hipster scene? And I'm guessing you don't dance, don't know what to do with beat/rthymic(sp) music?

Even if I hated that kind of music, it would be a plus for a chick to be into it. Shows she isn't stodgy or boring and can probably enjoy herself on the dance floor (and in the bedroom?).

Wait until you get older, you'll meet women who don't do music at all! Imagine dating someone who would not enjoy a concert of any kind. Or thinks you are throwing money away buying music.

I'd date her and maybe try to like some of that music. Syths are not evil, if Mozart and Bach were alive today, they'd be using synths and eschewing the limits of gitar, drums and bass.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I listen to outlaw country, mainly, or what some folks call "Americana." Most people hate it. But in my relationships I've always found a way to compromise. Of course, I do like metal when I'm in the mood, and the rest is just background noise to me. Just be courteous enough not to blast it so loud that we can't talk over it, is my only requirement.

When I lived with the ex-biker, I could always tell what kind of mood he was in based on what was blasting through the windows of the apartment when I got home (he would turn it down when I got in the door). As often as not, it was Motorhead's Ace of Spades, or oddly that song "Thank You" by Dido. Either of which were always a good sign. I have no idea why.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,270,416 times
It's not the most catchy music but I wouldn't throw someone under the bus for it either.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
She likes pop-country and I like progressive rock. We seem to get along just fine...

Driver picks the music.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
It's kind of weird that that's the only thing she likes. I bet if you guys are really hit it off and made a connection it wouldn't bother you so much. I went out on a date with a guy who doesn't own a TV...sometimes one person's deal breakers seem stupid to someone else, but you have to do what works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships