Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
What if she likes many different styles?.....not just R&B? I've rarely met a person who only likes ONE style of music. If you sat them down and went through a list of titles, they'd probably say, "Oh, yeah, I like that one, oh yeah, I forgot about THAT one. Oh hey! I used to listen to THAT one, all the time." On and on you'd go. Now take all of those songs and put them into their style categories and you'd quickly find out that they like a variety of styles.

If you find a person who will ONLY listen to a certain style of music...and flat out HATES all other styles..... RUUUUUUN!!!
I have yet to meet a single person who *only* listens to one style of music. Even the crazy evangelicals I know stray from contemporary christian here and there, just like my redneck friends will turn off the country and put on some classic rock.

More than likely, and I'm pulling this from something I've done before, she felt defensive about his 'comment' about her music so she said 'well, this is all I listen to' out of irritation. It's like when someone goes on and on about your favorite band and how horrible they are, some people get very defensive about their music. I was listening to my FAVORITE band of all time a while back and a friend of a friend said it was the worst thing he'd ever heard. I never looked at him in quite the same way after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times
Yes, I get a little defensive myself, when someone says, "How can you LISTEN to this crap?" However, I'm put off by people who say, "How can you EAT that stuff? Ewww!" LOL Some people really stink when it comes to knowing what and how to say things...or when to just shut up and keep their opinions to themselves.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have yet to meet a single person who *only* listens to one style of music. Even the crazy evangelicals I know stray from contemporary christian here and there, just like my redneck friends will turn off the country and put on some classic rock.

snippet

You and many others have expressed quite well what I thought when I read that comment. Also agree that I would runnnnnn in the opposite direction of any, one dimensional, personality, lightening fast. My mother had a wide collection of music playing around the house when I was a little one and then when I was a teen, the only station on my pitiful radio was FM, which play some of everything, so I grew up to appreciate most every style of music including the carpenters, Marvin Gaye, Jackson five, Three Dog Night, Barbara Streisand, Reba, Aretha to name a few. I guess I tend even in my older years not to care to get stuck in a time warp probably due to the fact that I was deeply involved in music and dance, so I continue to appreciate the old and the new. Just because I don't feel a sound, doesn't mean it isn't qualified as music or an artistic endeavor that I can't appreciate someone else's right to enjoy it, even if it sounds like a bunch of cats in heat caught up in a fan belt.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times
I dislike dubstep intensely, but I wouldn't hold that against anyone I want to date. There would have to be a lot more factors involved.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,783,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
...of her musical tastes. met this gal a few weeks ago online (it's the future of dating, I don't care what anyone says). Try the coffee/walk thing, she seems okay. Offers to give me a ride home afterwards as I walked, and that's when I got turned off a little bit.
The music she listens to is that dubstep techno garbage.
Now I'm a pretty open minded guy, but that really turned me off. I like most music styles, but for some reason it really rubs me the wrong way. There's just nothing appealing to it - it has no composition, and there's no art to it - I like hearing people sing.
I joke that this stuff sounds like farm machinery, and she gave me a weird look. She says she only listens to that kind of stuff, and doesn't like anything else. I declined to speak further of it, and we didn't really make any date plans. To be honest it was a little weird getting out of the car.
So, is that wrong I would never see her again because of music tastes? She seemed cool otherwise, had nice interests and the like. I just cannot stand listening to that cr*p, it sounds like a factory or something.

Well, I'm into classical music. Try finding a woman who likes *that*! And I'm not talking about going to the symphony for an evening out, I'm talking about a woman who actually listens to classical music on regular basis.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Surely you jest! I know, that was purely rhetorical!
I find it so painful to watch how some of the people here look at life

Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
Well, I'm into classical music. Try finding a woman who likes *that*! And I'm not talking about going to the symphony for an evening out, I'm talking about a woman who actually listens to classical music on regular basis.
Sadly, the only woman who I know who does listen to Chopin or Vivaldi on a regular basis is my own mother. Go figure.

Last edited by Inebriated Duck; 10-04-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
That shouldn't be difficult, I wouldn't think. Before I got old and needed to up my heart rate beats, I listened to it often. Now it more so depends on my moods.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I dislike dubstep intensely, but I wouldn't hold that against anyone I want to date. There would have to be a lot more factors involved.
My point exactly. Good for you for "getting it"

Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 PM

216 posts, read 449,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
To each their own.
Going to a live Electronic (techno) concert is an experience like non other. An Electronic concert with general admission at an indoor venue is the best way to experience it.
I've tried to go to a concert, trust me. It's actually 100X worse for me.
A buddy literally dragged me to "prove" that I would like it. He was sadly mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships