Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:13 AM

216 posts, read 448,761 times

Advertisements

...of her musical tastes. met this gal a few weeks ago online (it's the future of dating, I don't care what anyone says). Try the coffee/walk thing, she seems okay. Offers to give me a ride home afterwards as I walked, and that's when I got turned off a little bit.
The music she listens to is that dubstep techno garbage.
Now I'm a pretty open minded guy, but that really turned me off. I like most music styles, but for some reason it really rubs me the wrong way. There's just nothing appealing to it - it has no composition, and there's no art to it - I like hearing people sing.
I joke that this stuff sounds like farm machinery, and she gave me a weird look. She says she only listens to that kind of stuff, and doesn't like anything else. I declined to speak further of it, and we didn't really make any date plans. To be honest it was a little weird getting out of the car.
So, is that wrong I would never see her again because of music tastes? She seemed cool otherwise, had nice interests and the like. I just cannot stand listening to that cr*p, it sounds like a factory or something.
An example if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about:

UKF Dubstep Mix - August - YouTube

Last edited by telex_610; 10-04-2012 at 12:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Wow, and some of us manage to marry and be happy with partners who belong to a different political party

Dude, do you have so many women in your life that you can really afford to toss one away that you otherwise like over something this petty?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:22 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
LOL! I totally understand. At least one musical taste in common is all I ask. I am actually really excited to talk about music with someone. And I hope they actually appreciate music.

If I find out someone likes one of my more obscure favorites it is like +100 (I have probably met somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 people ever in real life that have heard of my fave band. Most people just humor me and pretend they have heard of them).

I know have some really weird deal breakers too.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times
Musical tastes evolve.

Who knows, maybe in a few short months she would of grew into some genre you liked..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
An example if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about:

UKF Dubstep Mix - August - YouTube
I used to like drum and bass too. People keep trying to tell me to get into dubstep. No bueno, this is just noise. DnB was a lot more musical.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Having some musical compatibility is important. Having to endure someone else's idea of good music isn't always do-able.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,417 times
The fact that it was a little weird getting out of the car and that neither of you could laugh it off and move on to something else (make another observation - anything) makes it seem as though you're simply not very compatible personality wise.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:35 AM

75 posts, read 101,967 times
I like all sorts of music but I tend to keep the specialty stuff to myself when I am driving alone. If somebody's in the car I'll just put the radio on and tell them to go ahead and change it if they want.

But to answer the question, having a different taste in music wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I'm married to somebody who has some opposite views and interests to mine.

For the record I don't like dubstep either and if I had to be trapped in a car for a lengthy period of time I might change my above opinion.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
it could be worse, she could love show tunes and start singing anything from Annie at the drop of a hat

Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 AM

216 posts, read 448,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I used to like drum and bass too. People keep trying to tell me to get into dubstep. No bueno, this is just noise. DnB was a lot more musical.
I couldn't handle Drum n Bass. I can handle very chill out music in extremely small doses, stuff that you would listen to while making dinner or sitting around reading a book. Anything more than that, i'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships