Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times

Advertisements

It's only a big deal if you're a guy. You hardly hear 30 year old women who live at home with their parents get made fun of by society.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Back in the older days it was normal for families to live together and kids to continue to live at home.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM

521 posts, read 762,608 times
i think she should live at home until she gets a driver's license, a good job and some savings.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
It's only a big deal if you're a guy. You hardly hear 30 year old women who live at home with their parents get made fun of by society.
Anyone who is 30 and lives at home with no job is pretty pathetic regardless of gender. If they had work experience and were actively seeking a new job then maybe...but the OP has never worked. She can't even drive so she can't run errands for her parents or even pick up groceries.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM

448 posts, read 685,048 times
I just wouldn't prefer to live at home. I left home @ 17 and hope I never have to go back.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 AM

18 posts, read 22,825 times
I think there is a culture clash here. This is NOT a big deal for a lot of Asians. I know of a ton of Asians who live at home and let me tell you these people are not dependent, deadbeat, immature, or undeveloped in any way.

In fact more than the parents supporting them in some cases they are the ones supporting their parents. For a lot of Asians the view is, this is your household, you live with them, that's how it's supposed to be. When the guy gets married the wife comes to his house and lives with his parents and sister and it's no big deal. Granted that's the extreme, but it's very possible to have this arrangement and the people are perfectly OK with it.

There are huge advantages to this for (1) it saves massive money, most people spend their life savings for 10 years to buy a house & mortgage, especially where I live since its so expensive, by living with your family you can save like $500k (2) its good for the environment, you cut your carbon footprint massively with joint energy consumptions, land use, etc. (3) if you have kids you don't need a babysitter if the grandparents will take care of it. The wife doesn't have to quit her job and stay at home or husband as the case may be. The cost of child care these days is astronomical (4) older people are happier when they're not shut away in a nursing home, (5) if older people are sick you can help take care of them.

I'm not saying it's better, because we all have our preferences. I live independently from my parents myself, and I'm happy to do so. But the way some people look down on it is just crazy.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetJuice View Post
I think there is a culture clash here. This is NOT a big deal for a lot of Asians. I know of a ton of Asians who live at home and let me tell you these people are not dependent, deadbeat, immature, or undeveloped in any way.

I'm not saying it's better, because we all have our preferences. I live independently from my parents myself, and I'm happy to do so. But the way some people look down on it is just crazy.
I do know an Asian guy in his 30's who does live with his parents. He's helping them out by doing so. He's also gainfully employed in a career he had to go to school for. There's a huge difference between this and/or someone who has had to temporarily move back in with their parents thanks to the economy and the OP. By her own admission, she does not work, doesn't drive, feels higher education is a waste, doesn't seem to be passionate about anything, and doesn't see anything wrong with living with this arrangement for the next 30 years.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM

18 posts, read 22,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I do know an Asian guy in his 30's who does live with his parents. He's helping them out by doing so. He's also gainfully employed in a career he had to go to school for. There's a huge difference between this and/or someone who has had to temporarily move back in with their parents thanks to the economy and the OP. By her own admission, she does not work, doesn't drive, feels higher education is a waste, doesn't seem to be passionate about anything, and doesn't see anything wrong with living with this arrangement for the next 30 years.
I agree. This person has serious problems, I was just speaking of living at home in general.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetJuice View Post

In fact more than the parents supporting them in some cases they are the ones supporting their parents. For a lot of Asians the view is, this is your household, you live with them, that's how it's supposed to be. When the guy gets married the wife comes to his house and lives with his parents and sister and it's no big deal. Granted that's the extreme, but it's very possible to have this arrangement and the people are perfectly OK with it.

There are huge advantages to this for (1) it saves massive money, most people spend their life savings for 10 years to buy a house & mortgage, especially where I live since its so expensive, by living with your family you can save like $500k (2) its good for the environment, you cut your carbon footprint massively with joint energy consumptions, land use, etc. (3) if you have kids you don't need a babysitter if the grandparents will take care of it. The wife doesn't have to quit her job and stay at home or husband as the case may be. The cost of child care these days is astronomical (4) older people are happier when they're not shut away in a nursing home, (5) if older people are sick you can help take care of them.

Asians work hard, what's more they respect their elders, unlike this girl.

OP does absolutely nothing but wear a track from her bed to the pc to the tv to the fridge and back again.

Any energy she has she expends on CD complaining about her lot, dissing any advice she is given, then posting it all over again like no one had replied to the first 113 threads.

She thinks education of any sort is a "waste of time", as is doing anything at all to improve her life.

She has told us she rarely showers, even, because she doesn't leave the house for days on end so why bother.

This is not "cultural", this is either some sort of mental illness OR an IQ down around her ankles.

I know which one I've diagnosed.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 PM

19 posts, read 14,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Anyone who is 30 and lives at home with no job is pretty pathetic regardless of gender. If they had work experience and were actively seeking a new job then maybe...but the OP has never worked. She can't even drive so she can't run errands for her parents or even pick up groceries.
More ignorant American babbling from a child with so much to learn. If you have a strong Southern or Eastern European cultural background, or if you are from a farm family it is normal to live with your parents until marriage.

I know several people who were able to save McMansion-style money ... as in bought the McMansion for cash by doing so.

My cousin, her husband and her kids have been living with the inlaws since they got married in 1988. They bought a bunch of rental property and have cash flow coming out of their ears every month. But what do they know? They should have just listened to the sexual anarchists and divorced by now I guess.

Not to pick on you too much, you just happen to be convenient at the moment. There are just a bunch of these ignorant rules of thumb permeating society and most people don't know what the hell they are talking about. If you were smart, you would be looking for the guy living at home who is saving/investing all his money instead of looking for another member of the proletariat who follows everybody else like a lemming and is going to be stuck with lease payments the rest of his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships