Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Well, I've been with my woman for 2 years so...there goes that lol.

Oh, maybe you should come to New York City, and see if you can go to school full-time, while having a job that can pay for everything, you can't. Please find someone who has done that, and if you do, it's because they're on housing or, they have a roommate.

Until you live in New York City, as a student (who isn't dorming), who goes to school full-time, don't speak.

You should look at the link below, New York is #5 among state who have the most young adults living with their parents...

The 10 Cities With The Most Young Adults Living With Their Parents - Business Insider

Oh, and according to the article, "The median income for young adults is $28,000. Seven percent of them are unemployed, and 70 percent of them are unmarried" in New York.

Let's see you live in New York with that kind of income.
Well first of all, I would need to know how old you are, going to a university and even working for a year should not take you beyond 30 years of age unless there is a problem that we need to know about. I know that you cannot live in NYC on 28k a year. I don't need you to pull out facts about it. I already know. It is very hard to go to school full time and work, but I didn't comment about any of that, I only commented on you staying at home until you are 30. You really need to read again what I have posted. You could dorm and get out if you wanted to, apparently that is not an option for you or you just don't want to do it. I have had two friends, one moved up to NYC after college and another went up there and went to school, both were able to live in the city and both were under 30 years of age. Neither of them lived in the dorms. If they can do it, why can't you?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 AM

757 posts, read 1,103,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_of_Reason View Post
Well first of all, I would need to know how old you are, going to a university and even working for a year should not take you beyond 30 years of age unless there is a problem that we need to know about. I know that you cannot live in NYC on 28k a year. I don't need you to pull out facts about it. I already know. It is very hard to go to school full time and work, but I didn't comment about any of that, I only commented on you staying at home until you are 30. You really need to read again what I have posted. You could dorm and get out if you wanted to, apparently that is not an option for you or you just don't want to do it. I have had two friends, one moved up to NYC after college and another went up there and went to school, both were able to live in the city and both were under 30 years of age. Neither of them lived in the dorms. If they can do it, why can't you?
I'm 22 years old. I just got my A.A. degree last month, I know it's a little late to get it, but a few years ago I went through a ton of family issues, and it was a huge distraction. On top of that I've gone through psychological issues (clinical depression) as a result of trauma from my early teens, heartbreak, and emotional fallout due to me and my father not speaking anymore. I would dorm, but I can't afford it, and i'm afraid of the debt that I will accumulate after I graduate (if I were to take out a loan).
The reason why I want to move out at 30 is because I want to make sure I'm ready, i'm ready to move on into the world, and land a great job. I just want to give myself back the 2 years I wasted when I started college.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,746 times
This situation is really irrelevant, anyway. The OP doesn't go to school or have a steady job. My parents would have never let me leech off them like that.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 AM

307 posts, read 631,082 times
Quote:
Well I've heard the opposite on more then one occasion, from employers, from professors, and career counselors. So, idk what to tell you...
I suspect that your professors and counselors told you it would be an advantage because they expect you to apply for jobs in NY, which makes you a local candidate. I would expect you to have an advantage over people from out of state when applying in NY.

I am another one that would choose the local candidate over the New Yorker, all other things being equal. A local is more likely to be content in the area and fit in with our corporate culture. The New Yorker that we hired recently had a tendency to not play nicely with others and then excuse her behavior based on being from NY.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 AM

757 posts, read 1,103,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestyn View Post
I suspect that your professors and counselors told you it would be an advantage because they expect you to apply for jobs in NY, which makes you a local candidate. I would expect you to have an advantage over people from out of state when applying in NY.

I am another one that would choose the local candidate over the New Yorker, all other things being equal. A local is more likely to be content in the area and fit in with our corporate culture. The New Yorker that we hired recently had a tendency to not play nicely with others and then excuse her behavior based on being from NY.
So, what exactly gives you the intensive to choose a candidate from another state? Does that candidate have to be excessively better than everybody else, and only then, will they get your attention? What credentials do you look at?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Whether if its the case or not. Everything I have is here, like I mentioned in the post.
I'm not denying that, I'm just correcting your inaccurate assumption.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,650 times
Quote:
What can I say, we're pretty damn awesome
You're in the same running as everyone else in the job world no matter how awesome you are.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
So, what exactly gives you the intensive to choose a candidate from another state? Does that candidate have to be excessively better than everybody else, and only then, will they get your attention? What credentials do you look at?
It depends on the job and the area. I live in a very tourist oriented area, and unless you have a stellar resume in a field where there are no qualified local candidates, employers won't even talk to you if you aren't a local. Too many think they want to live here because they assume it would be like being on vacation all the time. The reality is that it's like living anywhere else. You go to work, have friends, have a life--and it doesn't generally include theme parks or tourist traps.

Far too many people apply for jobs without really thinking about it or thinking the cost of living is really cheap here because it's "the south." (It's not cheap--at all.) It wastes employers time and time is money. Therefore, local applicants only is the general rule of thumb.

A decent school (that doesn't mean Ivy League, it means something other than a Latin American diploma mill), experience showing increasing responsibility, and the ability to communicate clearly and with proper grammar.

They don't care if you worked in NYC or Kalamazoo. They just want to know you've got the chops. Don't fool yourself into thinking that everyone who works in NYC is top-notch. I've worked with more than a few that were terrible employees--and employers are well aware of this.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 AM

307 posts, read 631,082 times
Quote:
Normally your location wouldn't have anything to do with the decision. Most of the time one candidate has the most applicable experience or education and is selected on that basis. We would only get into an issue like where you are from if we have two equal candidates and we are trying to find something to help us make the choice between the two.

If you want to be competitive, your most important focus would be to have an education and experience applicable to the job you want, as well as good interview skills. Just don't expect that being from NY would give you a built in advantage over others and instead focus on having a real skill advantage.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,983 times
Quote:
A mix of education, experience, attitude and common sense. Most the clerical workers are locally grown. The inside middle managers are a mix, outside sourced middle managers are mostly from other areas of the US. Upper management basically from other parts of the counry & world. There are several reasons for that. One being that the company I worked for, is international in origin. Secondly, the crassness of the New York attitude did not set well with many customers and suppliers, hence the managers who were out in the field were picked to meld with area they were responsible for. The managers who cover the Eastern Seaboard are basically locals.

Because I now live in Florida, it does not mean that I am out of touch with the working world. I was recently
back in NYC for a month, on a contract assignment for the company outlined above, I was securing new lines
of credit for them. They are one of the top 50 companies in the world, and they chose this old lady from Florida to do the negotiating for them.

I am only bringing this up as choosing the right college is important, so is choosing the right field of endevour,
coupled with experience and hard work one can still be sucessful in todays economy, that includes you, a
little attitude adjustment and a dose of common sense would do wonders for you.

Persue your degree(s), be smart about what you choose, you have a long haul ahead of you, plan for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships