Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I have fallen in love with someone I wasn't physically attracted to. It can happen.
+1

I have too.

A number of years ago I ended up falling in love with a woman who I had known for a couple years, and never felt a lustful attraction to. I never considered her unattractive, but she wasn't the type of woman that would draw my eye across a crowded room.

Funny, after I had fallen in love with her, I started to notice what I felt was her physical beauty too.

Along those lines, I think it is possible to fall in love with someone where there is a lack of that obvious physical attraction. That said, I think the person cannot be viewed as completely unattractive (think ,repulsive) either, in most circumstances. The more unattractive someone finds a person, I think the greater the hurdle there will be to get to know the person enough to fall in love with other aspects of the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 AM

333 posts, read 310,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
+1

I have too.

A number of years ago I ended up falling in love with a woman who I had known for a couple years, and never felt a lustful attraction to. I never considered her unattractive, but she wasn't the type of woman that would draw my eye across a crowded room.

Funny, after I had fallen in love with her, I started to notice what I felt was her physical beauty too.

Along those lines, I think it is possible to fall in love with someone where there is a lack of that obvious physical attraction. That said, I think the person cannot be viewed as completely unattractive (think ,repulsive) either, in most circumstances. The more unattractive someone finds a person, I think the greater the hurdle there will be to get to know the person enough to fall in love with other aspects of the person.
I think you contradict yourself. You say you weren't attracted to her in one sentence, and in the other you say you notice her physical beauty.

In other words, you do need to be attracted to them physically!

But your appreciation of their physical attributes can grow over time!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Okay, so I met up with a gentleman for a casual date today. I met him on match.com. The date is okay, it last about 1 hour.

Well,. I know I am going to receive a lot of harsh critisms, but oh what the hell. The problem is that I don't find him to be physically attractive.

First of all, I am about 2 inches taller than him. Secondly, he has slight bad breath.

My question is that have you dated somebody you are not physically attracted to? Do you normally give them second chance? Can you learn to love them in the future?

Let me know your thoughts please.
I have. We lasted 4 years.

What I learned is people change. And, you can't force yourself to be attracted to someone. You just can't.

Sure, they may grow on you but depends on the dynamics of the relationship.

Integrity is what counts.

So long as you're happy, I think that's what matters most. But, if somehow you cannot trust them, after a while you might even find that person extra repulsive.

Lack of integrity speaks volumes for what a person looks like on the outside.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,329 times
Everyone has to pass a certain threshold of attractiveness for me to date them. If they pass that the personality can lift it. Personality can't lift fat and ugly for me.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:58 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,698 times
Quote:
Okay, so I met up with a gentleman for a casual date today. I met him on match.com. The date is okay, it last about 1 hour.

Well,. I know I am going to receive a lot of harsh critisms, but oh what the hell. The problem is that I don't find him to be physically attractive.

First of all, I am about 2 inches taller than him. Secondly, he has slight bad breath.

My question is that have you dated somebody you are not physically attracted to? Do you normally give them second chance? Can you learn to love them in the future?

Noo, I would never lead anybody on. It's a waste of time, dishonest, and low class.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:09 AM

52,285 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:

I would be really upset if a woman I cared for and thought she cared for me, and find out she felt this way... it's not fair...

How would you feel if the script was flipped and some dude thought this way about you....

I'm not a Christian, but they got that "do onto others" rap right......

Old 02-09-2013, 08:02 AM

788 posts, read 1,272,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I dated a girl once that I wasn't very attracted to physically.. because she was nice. She was nice and everything, but she had her faults just like any other women. No one is perfect, not the ugly ones and not the pretty ones. I found myself always looking for someone a little hotter.

I'd never date someone who I felt was below my standards in looks anymore. I feel much better when I'm walking around with a pretty girl. Sue me
I did the same once by dating a nice guy, but I couldn't get over how unattractive he was. My eyes constantly wandered over to every good looking guy I saw and I became insanely jealous of girls I saw with good looking guys, knowing full well that I could have a very good looking guy too (I've had many in my past). After that, I found a very good looking guy, who happened to be even nicer than my former "nice guy." I was completely attracted to him and my eyes never wandered.

Keep looking.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I know this won't be a popular comment but sometimes we as women will over look a guy's level of attractiveness IF he can provide a nice lifestyle based on his financial prowess.

Happens ALL of the time. How do you think that physically unattractive, fat men can have beautiful wives/girlfriends? Its not their attractive looks but their attractive wallets.

ETA: some will call this (women chosing men based on his bank account as) "gold digging" yet will have no problem with men only wanting "hot" women.
How do you know for a fact that fat man isn't attractive to his wife/girlfriend? Just because you don't find him appealing doesn't mean she doesn't.

And speak for yourself because I would never and have never overlooked a man attractiveness for his wallet. Maybe some women do this but I'm not one of them. I am all about the chemistry first. A man doesn't have to look like Chris Cornell but he has to have something that I find delicious.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 AM

224 posts, read 357,073 times
I could.

Be like me, have no standards or actual preferences.

The only people who are excluded from my list are legless people and the homeless.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:

Yes.

I don't know about women, but i think the main reason so many men are so hung up on looks is they assume the better looking a woman is, the better the sex with her is going to be.

This is FALSE.

What someone looks like from a distance tells you almost nothing about what it may be like to interact with them on an intimate level. Almost nothing. Plenty of average-looking people can totally rock your world if you give them half a chance. Plenty of beautiful people are just plain boring in bed, treating sex like a chore or using it like a bargaining chip.

Just something to think about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships