Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Protest too much and be called a homophobe. Strike out and hit the guy and you get locked up for a hate crime. It's ok that you are offended and even angry, but since its a crime to be a proud straight man in the United States you have to just deal with the abuse (once they see your uncomfortable with it they do it more, and letting them get away with it is called tolerance), so the only advice one can legally give is walk away.
Why not just say 'no thanks, I'm straight' and leave it at that?

And please, let me know how 'proud straight men' are being punished for being just that...especially considering a majority of the men out there ARE straight men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
Take it as a compliment and move on. Unless he's intruding on your personal space I don't see the problem.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:49 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Protest too much and be called a homophobe. Strike out and hit the guy and you get locked up for a hate crime.
Wow, you'd hit a guy just because he found you attractive? Why?

Quote:
It's ok that you are offended and even angry, but since its a crime to be a proud straight man in the United States you have to just deal with the abuse (once they see your uncomfortable with it they do it more, and letting them get away with it is called tolerance), so the only advice one can legally give is walk away.
If that's the case (and there's no way it is 100% of the time), then simply don't act uncomfortable. It's not hard to do unless you have some burning hatred for homosexuals. Quite frankly, the few times I've had gay men hit on me (admittedly rare), I was just polite and honest with them, and as a result they were polite and apologetic in return. Sure, there will be the occasional gay man who won't take it well, just as there are plenty of straight men who completely lose their **** when a woman turns them down.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
You're comparing a man hitting on a women, to a gay dude hitting on a straight guy? Really?
What's the difference?
Yes, it's an apt comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Just ignore them. Tell yourself that they are just wishing they looked as good as you do! They can probably tell that it makes you uncomfortable. I call this "bullying". And, as far as the way you dress, dressing differently does not discourage men from sexual harassing females so dress in what you want to wear. You don't need to change yourself. Hold your head up and turn away from their stares. Show confidence since people like this tend to pick on anyone that becomes self-conscious. So, it's not you, it is THEM! I can't stand people that harass others this way! Always remember that "you reap what you sow" and their turn will come.
Showing interest is bullying?
This is as absurd as it gets.

Maybe that's your behavior and motive, but not everyone else's.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,307 times
Wear a sign that says "I'm straight". I think they'll get the picture.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:20 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
It's funny how some straight men freak out about stuff they've been doing to women from the time of Adam. Time to notice the double standard.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:44 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
It's been a recurring problem for me, but i have learned to take it as a compliment. I just say that I am flattered, but I'm not gay. Women look at me, too, which is a relief.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:44 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycruben87 View Post
Hi there, I'm a 26 year old Latino guy from New York City and I'm constantly getting hit on by gay men> This happens mostly on public transportation (subways and buses) and its getting annoying, not to mention I get offended by it because I'm totally straight and I have no interest in men at all. Any advice on what to do to prevent this? Or maybe its something on the way I dress that's giving off a false vibe to those people? I really don't know why this keeps happening to me but its getting annoying and one of these days I'm gonna end up cursing one of those guys out in front of everyone. That's how annoying this is starting to become.

Oh and please if ya gonna comment this, don't give me no stupid/dumb or irrelevant comments, if you're the one to comment BS I would prefer you keep your comments to yourself. Thanks
Stop looking so gay.

And learn to speak English properly.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Protest too much and be called a homophobe. Strike out and hit the guy and you get locked up for a hate crime. It's ok that you are offended and even angry, but since its a crime to be a proud straight man in the United States you have to just deal with the abuse (once they see your uncomfortable with it they do it more, and letting them get away with it is called tolerance), so the only advice one can legally give is walk away.
Hah, no. It's a crime to hit someone for looking at you.

1. Looking at you isn't hitting on you.

2. Anybody in the world can look at you.

"Well, judge, he looked at me on the subway."

Good luck with that.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
... I do get hit on by lesbians quite often when I'm up in the bay area, and did have a lovely woman ask me out when I was in NYC last time....
I can understand it happening in SF or NYC. My wife got propositioned by a gal in a little cowboy bar in Moorcroft, WY a few years ago. I was sitting next to her! Moorcroft is a tiny ranching town of under 1000. We were perplexed but have had lots of laughs about it.

Did I understand the OP to say these guys are simply staring at him, not actually approaching? If so, that's hardly "hitting on".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships