Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 12:50 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Men as a whole are not shallow. Tell me are the only women out there in relationships Beyonce/Kate Upton look alikes?
You sure do like being willfully obtuse, don't you? Generalizations are bad, okay? Can we move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 PM

368 posts, read 577,790 times
Both men and women are shallow about looks lol.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
No, I don't know you but I've read your previous post. I think the biggest issue are tattoos and your possible attitude that you might display, at least for guys like me.... I dated one girl who looked nice until I saw her arms without overdress/coat... HUUUGE TATTOOS. A huge alarm bell started ringing in my head and all I was focused is how to get to the tattoo story, but I pretended I didn't see it (yeah, right!). And then after a while I randomly asked her around certain things, then I heard she has a bike, and allegedly a huge tattoo on her back and on private parts. I seriously pretended to be interested, but I was so OUT OF THERE. And I think she could have known it herself, I'm very sure she knew that I don't need to call her after that for a third date because no matter how much I tried to cover it up, it was apparent that I'm not going to date her. I've not seen it on my second date but it already irritated me to see the tons of piercings stacked on her ears... I thoguht I can give it a god, but the dealbreakers stacked quickly.

If you aren't the sweet, caring, kind, nurturing type... you know, if I thought of my date as someone who's ... "not my type"... nothing else mattered. Height, weight, looks, etc. All I see is a woman who is most probably unfit for a family life.
And that's your preference, which is fine.

I have no doubts whatsoever that my tattoos turn off a lot of guys and I'm perfectly fine with that. I like my tattoos and I'm perfectly happy with my decision to get them and plan on getting more in the future. If a guy somehow things I'm not sweet, caring, kind or nurturing because I have birds and flowers tattooed on my arm, that's his problem and not mine. I'm not going to change who I am and what I like to please some random guy.

And honestly, I think that's been my problem the past few years. I'm not myself...I've been trying to be someone else entirely to appease the male gender in general and I'm just done with it. I'm not a Susie Homemaker type and I'm not going to become some sort of archetypal feminine pushover just so some dudes ego can be stroked. I can cook, clean, I volunteer with sick children and I'm extremely nurturing and kind to anyone who deserves it but if you look at my tattoos and assume I'm unfit for family life, you don't deserve me.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:59 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You sure do like being willfully obtuse, don't you? Generalizations are bad, okay? Can we move on?
Okay I admit I misinterpreted what you wrote in your previous post and I apologize. My main point is that women shouldn't get so upset at when some random guy says he knows what all men are looking for in a women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
Some men and some women are extremely shallow. I think that everyone is to a certain extent but some are obsessed with aesthetics.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 PM

217 posts, read 307,655 times
Quote:
And for those who say that men aren't shallow, I can't even begin to find all the threads that guys say things like "women with short hair look like men" (heck, there's one over in fashion and beauty where a couple of guys are insisting that women who wear pants are lesbians) or "any women who weighs more than 120 pounds is disgusting." That sort of thing happens all the time, and if you haven't noticed it, you must be new here.
I'll admit, I am new here, and I'll be on the lookout for examples where guys say that something like being over a specific weight or having hair under a specific length is a deal-breaker for them.

For me, nothing is a deal-breaker and I can find women of all different body types and hair lengths who I would love to bang or date.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM

217 posts, read 307,655 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with you, but they don't exactly exemplify the notion that men as a whole aren't shallow as the OP would like us to believe.
I never said men aren't shallow. I just brought up something that might support the proposition that men are less shallow.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM

13,659 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I agree, I think this is because mens hormones make having sex much more urgent in the younger years. This shifts as men get older and womens sex drives kick in. Unless the woman is really hot and can get younger hot guys they will be up the creek if they spent their youth playing games with men (which a lot of women do). They know they have the option to walk away because they simply don't need the sex like guys do and they will wait for something better as time slips away they loose market value and its game over.
My impression from dating adventures in an older age-bracket (mid 30s to mid 40s) is that desperation in men is not attenuated by age, but grows with the length of "dry spell". Older men might be less sexually charged than their teenage counterparts, but they (or I should say, we) pine more for female companionship than necessarily for sex. The desperation is less about fulfilling the sex-act than about having some one with whom to live, with whom to have coffee in the morning.

In my area, women who played the field in their 20s are in the minority. More common is accidental pregnancies and spending one's 20s either in cohabitation with a boyfriend or as single-mom. By 40, very very few women are still childless, whether single or divorced. Women without "baggage" therefore still have a commanding advantage, even if they aren't as young or as pretty as they were 20 years ago.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:47 PM

863 posts, read 1,129,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
Yes. It's just that women love to point out that men are more visual when they, too, are just as, if not more, visual than men. At least many men can admit it.

Let's just be honest: most women have it much easier in the dating game since we are the ones who have to approach and are more motivated by sex. Even the most average girl's biggest hardship is CHOOSING which suitor to date. On the contrary, unless you are an extremely attractive male, the dating scene may be difficult.

I do think that we as men are at fault, though. We've gassed up the minds of far too many women to the point that they believe their **** don't stink.

Last edited by rs4 fan; 06-10-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 07:35 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times
Men are WAY more shallow about looks.

However women are more shallow about other factors, like money, careers, social status, education, etc. So even though women care a lot less about looks, the fact they care about these and other factors make them WAAAAAY more shallow overall.

You should have started a thread about who's more shallow overall.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
Like I said, this is just my experience thus far. Perhaps you can point me to an example on this forum where a guy who says "I won't date a woman who doesn't have at least size 32C breasts." Then I'll change my view.
Can I point you to the many thousands of comments along the lines of "I won't date a woman who's overweight"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships