Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 12:05 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,270,732 times

Advertisements

OP, personally I don't think you did anything wrong at all. Your boyfriend needs to calm down and if he has any issues he needs to talk to you about them rather than arguing as that never solves anything. Reassure him that you love him and wouldn't cheat however make sure he isn't treating you badly or trying to manipulate you and your decisions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 12:05 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,035,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
women who go out drinking with out their men are all up to the same tricks. Well the young ones, at least. I can't belive there are dudes who fall for this stuff.
Hey, OP, did your boyfriend see your posting and get on to the thread? ^^^^^^^^

Old 11-10-2013, 12:32 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm not "an angry person" at all but if that's your assumption then so be it. For you to have reached the conclusion that such behavior is "very common" seems to indicate that your (hopefully limited) experience with women and relationships has been very sad which in itself is a great pity and I feel for you. Hopefully such a negative assumption will be dispelled as time goes on. Good luck!
I feel nothing for you since I don't get emotionally wrapped up in anonymous Internet handles, but thank you for allowing me into your emotional being.

As for the rest of your post...

I am a woman who has seen what I noted countless times and in fact have declined allowing married women to go out drinking with me for for that very reason. You are either naive or simply dishonest to argue that what I have said isn't a common orgin of female infidelity. Most likely you are a bit of both, and are so angry at the world, (feminism I guess?) intellectual dishonesty is a regular part of your life.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
I am a woman who has seen what I noted countless times and in fact have declined allowing married women to go out drinking with me for for that very reason. You are either naive or simply dishonest to argue that what I have said isn't a common orgin of female infidelity. Most likely you are a bit of both, and are so angry at the world, (feminism I guess?) intellectual dishonesty is a regular part of your life.
I feel nothing for you since I don't get emotionally wrapped up in anonymous Internet handles, but thank you for allowing me into your emotional being and for the extensive and quite hilarious psychobabble.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:12 PM

912 posts, read 1,525,876 times
I am flabbergasted by some of these responses.

To the OP -- you did nothing wrong. Your BF's reaction was out of line, not just him being "overprotective" or treating you like a "delicate flower." I'm not saying it was abusive, or that he is abusive, but his reaction smacks strongly of insecurity + control issues, two things that can often come together in the form of abuse.

My husband worries about me, and I keep thinking about his reaction in this situation. He would be more worried if drunk/tired me took a cab by myself late at night, rather than just stayed safe at a friend's house until the morning.

I don't understand this idea that because you're married/living together that you must spend every night for the rest of your lives forever sleeping in the same bed. The grand majority of nights? Yes. Absolutely. But if you're insecure to the point that your SO can't have a weekend trip away with their friends, spend the occasional night over at their sibling's house, or as in this case, have a spontaneous justified sleepover with a friend after a night of drinking, you're in the wrong relationship and may have no business being in one at all.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Well if for instance the friend is a single party girl, I can understand him not liking your spending too much time together. It is very common for women to cheat after being inspired by hanging out and partying a lot with their single girlfriends. I don't know that this is the case, my point is merely that we don't know the whole story here.
That's more the case for men. You're speaking of hook-ups. Married women tend to have affairs, not hook-ups and it's usually with people they get to know over time like at work, not ONS's via partying. Anyhow, taking issue with a partner's friends, whether married or not, speaks to a person who has dysfunctional relationships. I bet this man has had the same problems with other women he couldn't control.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I feel nothing for you since I don't get emotionally wrapped up in anonymous Internet handles, but thank you for allowing me into your emotional being and for the extensive and quite hilarious psychobabble.
Too late for this song and dance, nice try, sour grapes and all that:

Quote:
I'm not "an angry person" at all but if that's your assumption then so be it. For you to have reached the conclusion that such behavior is "very common" seems to indicate that your (hopefully limited) experience with women and relationships has been very sad which in itself is a great pity and I feel for you. Hopefully such a negative assumption will be dispelled as time goes on. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That's more the case for men. You're speaking of hook-ups. Married women tend to have affairs, not hook-ups and it's usually with people they get to know over time like at work, not ONS's via partying. Anyhow, taking issue with a partner's friends, whether married or not, speaks to a person who has dysfunctional relationships. I bet this man has had the same problems with other women he couldn't control.
I disagree. Married women hook up as single ones do; some have "affairs" and some do not. (I think married women are simply better at keeping their mouths shut about it.) And cheating men will do it if an opportunity presents itself regardless of what their friends are doing.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:36 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,610 times
A lot of people also cheat with people they meet at work. And business trips, my God!

OP should probably quit her job, just in case.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
I disagree. Married women hook up as single ones do; some have "affairs" and some do not. (I think married women are simply better at keeping their mouths shut about it.) And cheating men will do it if an opportunity presents itself regardless of what their friends are doing.
Women do not hook up like men do (unemotional sex that could be had with anyone) independent of relationship status. This isn't news.

This article covers some ground.
Quote:
But today, married women are more likely to spend late hours at the office and travel on business. And even for women who stay home, cellphones, e-mail and instant messaging appear to be allowing them to form more intimate relationships, marriage therapists say. Dr. Frank Pittman, an Atlanta psychiatrist who specializes in family crisis and couples therapy, says he has noticed more women talking about affairs centered on “electronic” contact.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/he...well.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships