Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:14 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Difference is men admit looks are part of the equation alot of women pretend that looks dont matter
Blowing off women's opinions again! What's the point of a discussion forum if half the posters completely blow off the other half of the membership? Why don't you go post on an all-male forum?

This is exactly one way this forum is harmful--it routinely trashes the women posters and invalidates their contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 06:16 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Yes, that's true. But here's the difference. Ready?

Men approach. Chew on that and then get back to me.
Some women do too (won't say all because I know that's not true). But even if you are the type to wait to be approached, it's no picnic having all sorts of men approaching (think about it, would you really "like" old women, older than your grandmother making sexual innuendos at you? Would you like women who smell like they haven't showered approach you? What about a woman who looks strung out?). And if you refuse any of these women you know there is a chance they are going to get angry and cuss you out. And then of course there are women who hardly if ever get approached.

So the end result (if things don't work out) is the same if you are a man or a woman, you feel rejected and you have no control. Neither is "Easy" or "better" and both have pluses and minus. (In case you are wondering, the plus of approaching is you get to choose the person... waiting to be approached, you get whoever will approach you).

My point, it all comes out in the wash and isn't a cake walk for either sex.

Quote:
Difference is men admit looks are part of the equation alot of women pretend that looks dont matter
I don't think anyone here has ever said looks don't matter at all... women have responded "no" to threads that say ALL that women care about is looks. And there have been a lot of those.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:19 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,104,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Blowing off women's opinions again! What's the point of a discussion forum if half the posters completely blow off the other half of the membership? Why don't you go post on an all-male forum?

This is exactly one way this forum is harmful--it routinely trashes the women posters and invalidates their contributions.
The poster i responded to was a female who admitted looks get your foot in the door

Old 12-17-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
The poster i responded to was a female who admitted looks get your foot in the door
That was true for her. She's one person among millions. Or among a few dozen, here on C-D.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,671 times
Quote:
How often do you read people on this forum who say looks don't matter? I really don't see it that much. Most of the time when I do it's something along the lines of "looks don't matter that much. I'm open to different types" or something to that effect.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:24 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,006,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
How often do you read people on this forum who say looks don't matter? I really don't see it that much. Most of the time when I do it's something along the lines of "looks don't matter that much. I'm open to different types" or something to that effect.
You haven't read anything from NilaJones have you? lol

Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
These forums are dangerous in general because they are like any kind of "too much media" exposure - we are bombarded with the negative.

Go to the Politics forum and you'll leave convinced this country is going to wind up in the crapper.

It's the same thing.

I think I should probably take my own advice and stay out of here more...this place overall can be kind of depressing. And I think it paints an unrealistic view of the world. Just like our so-called "news" stations.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:31 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
Quote:
If you are talking about me, I never said that. I said looks matter. But I never said look get your foot in the door so much as to form a relationship. You have to have mental, emotional, and physical attraction to have a relationship. Any of those can open a door and any of these can "Grow" as you get to know a person. Although I think looks can "Grow" on you easier than the other two.

The man I am dating now isn't someone that I originally liked for his looks... I was not attracted to him at all physically. But he was kind, funny, we share the same values, and grew on me and became more physically attractive to me the more he became mentally and emotionally attractive.

If it helps, think of it in the opposite way. You can see a beautiful woman, but if you walk up to her and she is cruel, mean, curses, is a racist, picks her nose and eats it, and is uncouth... suddenly she doesn't look so good, right? Some might be repulsed by her for her character despite what they though of her good looks originally. Well, the opposite can happen too.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
You haven't read anything from NilaJones have you? lol
I've read some of her posts. I don't recall anything that says "looks don't matter." Looks are only one part of the equation, though.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
The man I am dating now isn't someone that I originally liked for his looks... I was not attracted to him at all physically. But he was kind, funny, we share the same values, and grew on me and became more physically attractive to me the more he became mentally and emotionally attractive.
THIS! This describes how some women think and operate. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships