Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 07:45 AM

678 posts, read 1,065,668 times

Advertisements

It depends on the individual, I participate and read this forum for entertainment purposes and to get other people's insight. It's not a therapy session or a way to solve any issues, so I'd never take it for that, it's just a way to have something to do.

These forums are only harmful if people are buying what's being sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:04 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Meaningful participation in the real world requires critical thinking skills. If someone comes onto any forum and takes what they read as infallible advice, what do you expect the results will be?

Even as respondents, we have to use critical thinking skills to figure out whether there's something seriously wrong with some of the OP's. Personally, I think we're doomed as a society if they're on the level.

Last edited by ellie; 12-20-2013 at 08:24 AM..

Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
For people like me who have trouble attracting the opposite sex and lack confidence and can be insecure and get in a negative rut about women these worst fears and stereotypes about women get amplified in my head sometimes from what i read..

Its given me new insecurities things i was never insecure about or knew were huge hinderances like my height being shy etc came on my radar all of a sudden after reading these types of forums as huge negatives to women and made me even worse..[btw im not saying its one sided im sure struggling women feel the same about men after reading these types of forums]

I know theyres alot of good people here who even if therye giving generic cliche advice are trying to help but to read alot of the stuff i see on here and other sites like this makes me think the majority of people are shallow vain self absorbed whackos..

So while i appreciate sites like these and some of the good advice i think it can be more harmful at times then good

i agree that, for the problems particular to young males, this forum is worse than useless.

i'd advise using it for entertainment purposes only

OTOH if you're a 40-50-60 something woman looking for emotional support, you're in the right place.

Last edited by le roi; 12-20-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 AM

457 posts, read 694,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
For people like me who have trouble attracting the opposite sex and lack confidence and can be insecure and get in a negative rut about women these worst fears and stereotypes about women get amplified in my head sometimes from what i read..

Its given me new insecurities things i was never insecure about or knew were huge hinderances like my height being shy etc came on my radar all of a sudden after reading these types of forums as huge negatives to women and made me even worse..[btw im not saying its one sided im sure struggling women feel the same about men after reading these types of forums]

I know theyres alot of good people here who even if therye giving generic cliche advice are trying to help but to read alot of the stuff i see on here and other sites like this makes me think the majority of people are shallow vain self absorbed whackos..

So while i appreciate sites like these and some of the good advice i think it can be more harmful at times then good
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
These forums are dangerous in general because they are like any kind of "too much media" exposure - we are bombarded with the negative.

Go to the Politics forum and you'll leave convinced this country is going to wind up in the crapper.

It's the same thing.

I think I should probably take my own advice and stay out of here more...this place overall can be kind of depressing. And I think it paints an unrealistic view of the world. Just like our so-called "news" stations.
I've been thinking the same thing since I started coming in here. This place is discouraging but also think about this. The people who post here are a very small percentage of the population, and their opinion isn't an expression of the opinions of others. I take everything I read in here with a grain of salt, because if I took some of the stuff I've read here to heart I'd probably never talk to another woman again.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:30 AM

236 posts, read 232,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i agree that, for the problems particular to young males, this forum is worse than useless.

i'd advise using it for entertainment purposes only

OTOH if you're a 40-50-60 something woman looking for emotional support, you're in the right place.

Comment of the thread right there.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
I think they can be very harmful

The people who seem to be harmed the most are older women.
All throughout this forum,I keep reading how older women are undesirable.
Now,I'm 31,and before I started reading this forum I had no hangups about getting older.
Now,all of a sudden,it seems I have become focused on my age.
In real life,I see older women getting attention all the time.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,214,097 times
It seems to be getting worse. Some posters here really get orgasms being rude pricks to random people. I can understand if the posts they were responding are crass, immature and offensive. But some of these threads that they shoot down aren't inflammatory at all and are genuine calls for guidance or civil discussion. So it seems more and more that this forum is becoming more harmful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships