Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,067,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Explain yourself and before you do make sure you read all the replies in this thread.

It is amazing to me how naive some people are and how maturity is used as a buzz word to discredit someones point.
No, I am with you OP. Nothing to do with maturity. Why accept a situation that is an open door for problems? Even Dr. Laura agrees. It is easy to have sex with someone you've had sex with before. Has to do with respect for your partner and their wants. Also has to do with the character of the people involved. Some people cannot be trusted. Why would you want to be "friends" with them? Other people are decent with nothing to hide and in some cases, if there are children involved, there will have to be some acquaintanceship or something there. Respect and the character of the people involved. If everyone is happily coupled with someone else and the 4 people can sit together respectfully , ok, be "friends" with an ex. But this is rarely the case and is best avoided. So many other people to be friends with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Oh, well, Dr Laura agrees.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,067,745 times
Yes she does, 10 stupid things people (or women, I forget which book) do to mess up their lives. That is one of them, being "friends" with the ex. Do you want to move on or not?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
Because she still has feelings for him.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:17 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
Yes she does, 10 stupid things people (or women, I forget which book) do to mess up their lives. That is one of them, being "friends" with the ex. Do you want to move on or not?
Implying you can't move on and EVERYBODY who happens to have a relationship is incapable.

It comes down to this. Do you feel you can't let go? Do you feel the other person hasn't let go?

If so do not pass go.

This is what happens if you are truly over romantic feelings for someone and you find yourself in a situation where you make the mistake of judging someone wrongly when they attempt to "fall in to bed" with you.

"No"
Then Walk away and break contact making It clear no relationship is to be had anymore. Avoidance of issues isn't "dealing with them"

The whole situation is moot and nobody magically "falls back in love" that's insecure hogwash speaking from people who have never truly trusted a SO or deep down would never trust themselves

Last edited by rego00123; 03-07-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Implying you can't move on...

Yeah, I move on, but I'm not going to stop being friends with someone I care about and like just because we're no longer dating. If that is how they date then they're not a person I want to get involved with. People that discard people they care about when they're no longer dating them / sleeping with them never really had a caring friendship as the basis of the relationship, which tells me they didn't have a healthy relationship to begin with. People aren't discard-able (outside of abuse, infidelity, etc) and I care about every person I had a LTR with, and have been to many of their weddings and see most regularly.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Here's my 2 cents. It's better to judge each situation based on it's own merits than make a ruling across the board. Like I've said - my ex high school/ college sweet heart and I are still close friends. We've been friends since we were 12 and we are like family. There is absolutely no chance of us ever "slipping up" or anything because there is zero attraction on both of our ends. Anyone who has seen us together can see that we are really just friends. Our SO's are all totally fine with the situation and there has never been a problem. Do some people get back with an ex? Sure. Some people also cheat with total strangers. It's better to judge each situation on it's own than thinking that a person who is friends with an ex is bad while a person who is not friends with any exes is safe.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
blah blah blah blah

Just because you say something doesn't make it true. If you actually read my posts you would know what specifically happened in my situation. Clearly you didn't!
Dude, lighten up! You asked for opinions on this thread. Then you diss people who give you what you asked for? Or were you only looking for opinions that supported your own? Don't be a chump!

Fact is, there's truth to what some of the ladies are posting here. An ex may want to get back with her (though most have moved on and have new squeezes, see what I'm saying?), but in order for that to happen, she has to be ok with it. She has to be into him. If she's the one who dumped him, that's not where she's at. She dumped him to get rid of him, dig? It means she doesn't like him on that level.

On the other hand, if he's the one who did the dumping, then you could have a point. So you'd want to know from the start if she was the dumper or the dumpee with any exes that are hovering around. But the other side of that coin is, why would you be with someone you didn't trust, anyway? You should have checked her out enough to size her up pretty well. Paranoia and jealousy can kill a relationship, man. Be careful with that sh1t.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:30 PM

324 posts, read 407,835 times
I don't. I cut contact with my exs once I am in a new relationship.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, I move on, but I'm not going to stop being friends with someone I care about and like just because we're no longer dating. If that is how they date then they're not a person I want to get involved with. People that discard people they care about when they're no longer dating them / sleeping with them never really had a caring friendship as the basis of the relationship, which tells me they didn't have a healthy relationship to begin with. People aren't discard-able (outside of abuse, infidelity, etc) and I care about every person I had a LTR with, and have been to many of their weddings and see most regularly.
So, OP, would you be suspicious of Timberline's motives? Would you tell your gf he's just trying to get into her pants, if he were one of her exes? He makes sense, but he also seems a little clingy. What do you say to your gf hanging out with him, yay or nay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships