Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:19 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Let's look into the crystal ball then...How am I doing in 5-10 years.
Enjoying success, traveling, and about to meet a woman who makes you realize you'd been wrong about a number of things about which you were so sure you were right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Enjoying success, traveling, and about to meet a woman who makes you realize you'd been wrong about a number of things about which you were so sure you were right.
Sounds good to me lol

Just tell me that I meet that girl closer to the 10 year mark than the 5 year mark.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:32 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,580 times
I'm as civil as civil can be with my exes. A happy birthday text, or a like on a status or picture on FB is about as far as I go. All my exes have moved on to serious relationships or marriage, and not too terribly long after we broke up. I've had one ex that came back in the picture about 9 months after we broke up and we had a FB setup for about 2 months. She wanted me back as relationship material, and I didn't want to be with her like that, so the situation ended. All my other exes just respect their partners feelings to where they don't contact old flames. I respect them, because it's what works for them. For me, we weren't friends before we started dating, so nothing was really keeping us together after the breakup. It was either all or nothing I suppose.

I wouldn't mind being friends with an ex, but I think my definition of friendship and their definition of friendship are totally different. My defintion of a friendship is growing close to that person and you feel like they are a brother/sister from another mother. I don't see myself getting a friendship like that with an ex, so they are merely acquaintances for me. It works for them and it works for me. No harm, no foul.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:34 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,062,003 times
The only exes I'm not friends with aren't around to be friends with anyhow. The ones that are around, I'm still cool with because we've both moved on so there's no awkwardness when we bump into each other but I don't reach out to them socially for any reason whether I'm with someone or not and I don't have any interest in what they're doing now.

I only have one that's actually an active friend that I hang out with on purpose for no other reason than he's a cool person and so am I and cool + cool = too cool for school. No one I date seems to care that we once dated but that's probably for a number of reasons, the least of which being that I'm the one that broke it off.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,800 times
I like to remain close to my ex's in a brother/sister platonic way, but it never works out.

I'm very open to the possibilities. I'm still friends with my ex's but keep them at a distance. As mature as we are about our friendship, there's always some kind of residual romantic feelings or attraction my ex's feel or unresolved emotions so I purposely keep a distance despite wanting a closer relationship without the sex thing getting between us. And, I make sure it doesn't.

OP- if I can stay friends with an ex, which I am (just not that close), doesn't mean I want to get back with them. At the same time, I do respect the boundaries of my relationship and am cautious as to not hurt my partner's feelings in any way. Keeping in touch once in a while is cool. But, staying BFF? Something I haven't had luck with but would like just not to the extent of not allowing the space for my new relationship to grow.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Sounds good to me lol

Just tell me that I meet that girl closer to the 10 year mark than the 5 year mark.
You never know when it's going to happen. My husband didn't want to meet his future wife until he was about 30 and had finished touring. He also wasn't going to get involved with an actress. Well, he met an actress on tour when he was 27 - and we've been together ever since!

Old 03-04-2014, 01:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You never know when it's going to happen. My husband didn't want to meet his future wife until he was about 30 and had finished touring. He also wasn't going to get involved with an actress. Well, he met an actress on tour when he was 27 - and we've been together ever since!
Yep! My husband was busy travelling around with the Navy in the decade or so leading up to when we met. You just never know.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep! My husband was busy travelling around with the Navy in the decade or so leading up to when we met. You just never know.
UGHHHHHH

I know this to be the truth considering the last very compatible girl(my longest relationship) came out of nowhere! Literally out the sky considering she crashed into me when we were snowboarding.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:53 AM

639 posts, read 679,068 times
If a women talks about a past relationship then it is probably because it was a significant time in her life- or maybe she is not over the relationship, so talking is therapeutic for her. It also could be that she wants you to take notes on what she liked and what she didn't like about her old relationship- but most likely, it is a mixture of all three- don't get mad, i know it is annoying, but you are helping her just by listening and being a support system. Start making you own memories, so she can talk about the two of you, instead of her and the ex...and if that doesn't work then maybe you should consider leaving, because she obviously isn't over him and you were a rebound... hope that helped.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:02 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
Quote:
3 times since you are having trouble grasping this concept. Did I tell my ex to stop talking to her ex's or did I just leave the relationship? How did I dictate anything? I simply left the relationship once I realized it was something that I did NOT want.

One more time since I sense you won't be able to grasp it.
Is that what happens to the lucky ladies you date whenever they do something you don't like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships