Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 01:13 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I've seen XL and XXL in the juniors. I have been shopping in the juniors section for a couple years now, and only recently went up to XL to avoid buying maternity clothes. I'd guess XL is about a size 14 and XXL 16+. Old Navy plus sizes state at 16/18.
I've seen the XL juniors, but I believe they are for taller women with a little more hip and bust; they still have a figure that is typically considered "juniors"

Old 05-21-2014, 01:18 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
That is, unless he prefers larger size women. They do exist. *shrug* Though it's true a lot of men will prefer a woman with a specific body type and shape.
I'm a little worried about how this is going to sound, but I probably would not be attracted to a man who prefers larger women anyway. I never really met one, to be honest..if they said it, I usually thought to myself that either they were lying or the reason for their preference was that a heavier woman was easier to date initially and easier to "manage" within a relationshp. I know this sounds awful but I actually know a few heavy women who would pretty much do anything to hold onto the man in their lives, if they managed to meet and pair up with one. I can't see myself in that kind of life. I require mutual respect and a reasonable amount of equality in my relationships.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:18 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
This is my take. Morbid obesity is turnoff to me. But that has more to do with health issues and taking care of one's self more than anything else. However, I have always had a thing for women who have the "cute face, chubby waist", women who has a pretty face and a bit of extra weight. I actually like that. One example would be Rachael Ray. I can date a woman who is slim as well. Being "chubby" is not a deal breaker for me. It's being a slob that is a deal breaker.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Ummm..being fat for a woman in the dating scene is the same as a man being fat. They will both face discrimination.
Women are a bit more forgiving of a man's looks. I think there is a thread out there that talked about looks and women agreed how they don't mind much about a man's looks. Unless some of these female posters change their mind in this thread. Yes, a fat man would have it hard of course but not as hard as a fat woman. Men are not as "forgiving" as women when it comes to looks.

Typically, men are rejected based on their economy and maybe fat in some cases if its extreme. Women get rejected for being fat and unattractive not so much because of their economy. Men and women normally place important on certain traits differently.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:36 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Does it even matter? Women's sizes vary so incredibly much between brands and they've changed so much over the decades that this really tells you absolutely nothing.
The non-luxury clothing brands are more true-to-size, give or take a size. That's why I said in the fashion industry they consider a 12 to be plus sized. For example, I've picked up Ralph Lauren shirts that were labled an 8 (adult size) and they looked like a junior's size small. The poster said they read something that states a woman standing 5'4" size 14 is average. That can't be. To wear a size 14 they'd have to be around 145-169 lbs and that would be considered overweight.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:36 PM

62 posts, read 121,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
"Is being fat literally the worst thing a woman can be?"

Not just "no" but "hell no!"
Absolutely true!!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:37 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Women are a bit more forgiving of a man's looks. I think there is a thread out there that talked about looks and women agreed how they don't mind much about a man's looks. Unless some of these female posters change their mind in this thread. Yes, a fat man would have it hard of course but not as hard as a fat woman. Men are not as "forgiving" as women when it comes to looks.

Typically, men are rejected based on their economy and maybe fat in some cases if its extreme. Women get rejected for being fat and unattractive not so much because of their economy. Men and women normally place important on certain traits differently.

I see this on boards like this and some pop articles, but it doesn't mirror what I see in real life. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
The non-luxury clothing brands are more true-to-size, give or take a size. That's why I said in the fashion industry they consider a 12 to be plus sized. For example, I've picked up Ralph Lauren shirts that were labled an 8 (adult size) and they looked like a junior's size small. The poster said they read something that states a woman standing 5'4" size 14 is average. That can't be. To wear a size 14 they'd have to be around 145-169 lbs and that would be considered overweight.

Sadly, "average" and "overweight" very well may be synonymous... but I've had lady friends complain that in some cuts they wear a 2 and in others a 12 and have to have it altered with their (um, big) busts... so I just don't even let sizes register in my mind as I can't picture it at all.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I will try to find it online. the sizes I refer to are U.S. It was published by a company that sells women's clothes, jeans I believe; so their criteria for average is probably based on the buying habits of the American woman, not what is considered healthy, slim or attractive to men.

No, I don't mean what is considered slim or attractive to men. I'm meant the size compared to the height.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:40 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
from the CDC:
FASTSTATS - Body Measurements

Old 05-21-2014, 01:43 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
No, not at all.

Some "skinny" women have the personality of a squashed banana and can't make it in the long run. The truth is, no matter how much emphasis people put on physical appearance, personality and brains are what make human interactions last.

Besides, the term "fat" is very subjective. Everyone has their own standards when it comes to physical appearance and it differs from one person to another. Modern media can't be regarded as a reliable source when it comes to standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships