Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:58 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The question is not you age, but if you really WANT a LTR or possible marriage. You can find a suitable partner at any age, you just need to decide that's what you want to do. Somehow your whole life the idea of being in a relationship was not appealing enough....
We don't know this. Perhaps the OP tried to pursue a relationship, but his efforts were thwarted. We hear much on this Forum about men (and for that matter, women as well) who haven't sufficiently "improved themselves", and therefore aren't adequate "relationship material". Sometimes this is true. Other times the person in question could possibly be a billionaire venture-capitalist, or a Nobel laureate - and still struggle with relationships. Yes, it happens. Perhaps he actively pursued dating for decades, to no avail. Yes, this also happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWhing View Post
I know that it's super modern to say you can still find someone when you're 90 but I can only laugh at that. When that happens, there's obviously a big bank account involved.

Perhaps to others but not to me. It's what defines me, many colleagues used to call me an amphibious assault ship when it came to work.
It's common for executives, senior scientists, well-known medical doctors and the like, to report a feeling of listlessness and boredom in retirement - whether or not they have families. Why? Because for decades they wielded power. Hundreds (or more) people directly depended on them. Their decisions had repercussions. Now, in retirement, they are merely private citizens. They may remain culturally respected, or even consulted as elder statesmen. But they no longer pull the levers themselves. And this can be incredibly demoralizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
... you don't sound too happy about your coming retirement. T supplementation can ward off depression, which is where you're headed right now.
The causal relationship is not clear. A man with virulently high testosterone levels could nevertheless be grumpy, cynical, dejected and generally annoyed with life. The brain is a complicated thing, as are the stimuli to which it is subjected. While some sort of chemical imbalance could be a contributing cause, more likely is one's basic personality... how we approach life, and our world-view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 10:01 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

The causal relationship is not clear. A man with virulently high testosterone levels could nevertheless be grumpy, cynical, dejected and generally annoyed with life. .
T-supplementation has been proven to turn curmudgeons into purring pussycats. The OP can try it, and if it doesn't work, he can quit.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:15 PM

818 posts, read 918,005 times
Quote:
I prefer not to live off drugs.
You might as well just curl up and die. You sir are at the age where good drugs are your friend.
There are good drugs that can be used to improve your quality of life. Use them correctly ( if needed ) and you will have a much better quality of life.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Don't be surprised if one of them ends up penniless.
Aren't you the cheery, uplifting sort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat;
You might as well just curl up and die. You sir are at the age where good drugs are your friend.
There are good drugs that can be used to improve your quality of life. Use them correctly ( if needed ) and you will have a much better quality of life.
It seems like he's already decided to do just that. Except he's posting here for a reason. I wonder what that is, if he's not open to advice.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:19 PM

9 posts, read 9,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
I don't take a single pill.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:20 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:
I have a housekeeper and I cook very well, it's one of the few things I enjoy besides working. I never needed a woman to take care of me or my issues.
Then you are ahead of a lot of men your age who are looking.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I don't take a single pill.
Congratulations! You've done well for yourself. But you're going to struggle in retirement if you can't change your negative attitude. You could try counseling. But you might really like the T. It's not necessarily in pill form. It can come in a cream, or liquid form. I'm not sure, but I think they have a kind that's made from herbal sources.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,148 times
You are at an exciting turning point in your life. You are in good health with nothing to tie you down. The world is your oyster! These could end up being the most rewarding years of your life. What's stopping you from pursuing a long-held dream?

If you end up wasting away your golden years from boredom, it will be your choice. It's up to you.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:04 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,983 times
Quote:
I'm a 64 year old man and the day of my retirement is getting closer. I dread even thinking about such day because working is my lifeline. It has always been the source of my life. I've never been married (or in a LTR) and don't have children. I understand how many of my colleagues are looking forward for that day because they want to spend more time with their grandchidren, etc. For me, however, it'll be the start of eternal boredom.

Many colleagues have been joking and teasing me how I can finally have time to find a lady. But many say they are not joking. They can't be serious, can they? I have grey hair already and grumpy as hell.
Be less grumpy, take care of yourself, and put yourself out there. Believe me, a man your age can still very much find someone.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
OP: Are you interested in traveling? We just came back from an 11 day trip visiting family. We had some challenges along the way but nothing serious. But it brought to mind a discussion my wife and I have had several times. As women get older they seem more anxious about travelling. My guess is that if you put the word out and started actually seeking female companionship, and expressed a genuine interest in travelling, you would find more than enough interest from the opposite sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships