Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:12 PM

9 posts, read 9,884 times

Advertisements

I'm a 64 year old man and the day of my retirement is getting closer. I dread even thinking about such day because working is my lifeline. It has always been the source of my life. I've never been married (or in a LTR) and don't have children. I understand how many of my colleagues are looking forward for that day because they want to spend more time with their grandchidren, etc. For me, however, it'll be the start of eternal boredom.

Many colleagues have been joking and teasing me how I can finally have time to find a lady. But many say they are not joking. They can't be serious, can they? I have grey hair already and grumpy as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,682,349 times
Being productive is good and all, but you never had a LTR now that you are 64!? Good that you were worked for your career, but you could have made time for relationships. Not being mean, but your best years are behind you.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:20 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Yes, they can be serious. People do find love and get married after 60. It happens a lot. If you're grumpy, see your doc to get your testosterone levels checked. Low T affects mood adversely. You'd be surprised how your mood and outlook on life improve with hormone supplementation. If you don't already, start exercising. Go to the gym (lots of people your age at the public gyms), take walks, start bike riding. You'll feel better when you get moving. Exercise is a proven pick-me-up.

As for the impending boredom, many retirees avoid that by volunteering. Depending on your skills and inclinations, there are many volunteer options for you. You can also start a new career, if only part-time. You can travel, and visit friends in other parts of the country or the world. Start thinking creatively about how you could spend your time, and start doing some research. But deal with your mood issue first, or nobody will keep you on as a volunteer, lol.

Good luck, OP. You can figure this out. You CAN have a rewarding retirement!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:22 PM

61,748 posts, read 87,217,162 times
The question is not you age, but if you really WANT a LTR or possible marriage. You can find a suitable partner at any age, you just need to decide that's what you want to do. Somehow your whole life the idea of being in a relationship was not appealing enough....
Life is more than just work. You might have to learn to enjoy other things.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Not being mean, but your best years are behind you.
I know that. I miss the times when I was travelling on business 45 weeks a year.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWhing View Post
I know that. I miss the times when I was travelling on business 45 weeks a year.
Create your own travel schedule. Visit museums, enjoy parks and restaurants. Or go on tours. Your college alumni association would be a great source for interesting tours and new friends. Take some college classes to open up new fields of interest to yourself. See if your local Parks Department has activities for retirees.

Use your imagination, get jiggy with the exploration and planning process for your retirement. Your life is a creative act. Approach it like a painter does his canvas. Try different colors and textures. Learn a new language (Alliance Francaise, Goethe Institute, or YMCA for other languages, or your local university or community college.) Take a photography class. Try Tai Chi (very good for flexibility and circulation, as well as mood). The freedom you're about to gain from the 9-to-5 is a good thing. Take up the challenge, and build yourself a stimulating and rewarding new life.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The question is not you age, but if you really WANT a LTR or possible marriage. You can find a suitable partner at any age, you just need to decide that's what you want to do. Somehow your whole life the idea of being in a relationship was not appealing enough....
Life is more than just work. You might have to learn to enjoy other things.
I know that it's super modern to say you can still find someone when you're 90 but I can only laugh at that. When that happens, there's obviously a big bank account involved.

Perhaps to others but not to me. It's what defines me, many colleagues used to call me an amphibious assault ship when it came to work.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Perhaps to others but not to me. It's what defines me, many colleagues used to call me an amphibious assault ship when it came to work.
You can have an identity outside of work. Your survival and future happiness depend on it. Find new work or meaningful volunteer opportunities. You probably have a wealth of skills and experience to share with others. Think about it.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I know that it's super modern to say you can still find someone when you're 90 but I can only laugh at that. When that happens, there's obviously a big bank account involved.
People who find love after 60 or after retirement are people who stay active and engaged in life. They're usually not the people who are staying home, wasting away. I know some people in that age range who found a new partner, and they're still active in their communities and full of life. It doesn't take money to find a partner, it takes joy of life and a good heart. Cultivate those, and you can find happiness.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, they can be serious. People do find love and get married after 60. It happens a lot. If you're grumpy, see your doc to get your testosterone levels checked. Low T affects mood adversely. You'd be surprised how your mood and outlook on life improve with hormone supplementation. If you don't already, start exercising. Go to the gym (lots of people your age at the public gyms), take walks, start bike riding. You'll feel better when you get moving. Exercise is a proven pick-me-up.
It's normal for testosterone to go down as you age. I don't know why we should always go against a natural process.

I already go to the gym twice a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships