Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:25 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,732 times

Advertisements

Dude, it's never too late, if that's what you want. (Though it's not clear that IS what you want. Not sure what the point of your OP is. Feel free to elaborate.) Stay positive. Get some hobbies, join some meet-up groups (there must be ones for retired people, or 60-somethings). Get a life outside of work. You might discover you enjoy some of that stuff. If you can get over the grumpy thing. If you can't, it'll sabotage any attempt you make at getting a life. And what's the alternative to living life?

It's not pretty. I'll say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 PM

27 posts, read 33,658 times
When my grandma died years ago, my grandpa (who was about 80 at that time), would go country dancing every week. Women would line up to dance with him! He then met a woman there whom he was with for about 10 years before he passed away. He was not rich by any means. People of every age want companionship.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
at 61 the line began to form
im 66 now and its still there.
some of us come together late.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 PM

346 posts, read 352,017 times
As long as you're still breathing, it's not too late.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
If you used to like to travel, what's stopping you??? Is there a reason you won't be able to travel once you retire? Can always meet a lot of folks along the way.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,897,633 times
I think for some, retirement relationships are easier because the pressure to make it all about sex is gone. You meet someone who is a good companion/teammate and find things to do together. You don't necessarily have to get married, you don't have to live together, you can define a relationship that works for you.

The stats are clear. Men die younger, leaving more single older women. You should have your pick!

Personally? If I'm not hitched by the time I retire, I plan to find a house in a smallish town with a good library and a community theater, and rent out rooms, Golden Girls style, to others who are at loose ends.

I am NOT going down alone.

But seriously, if you don't want to retire, why do it? Keep working as long as you can if you enjoy it.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,897,633 times
Have you been to Disney World? They hire retirees to work part time at the resort in all sorts of capacities, usually customer service. They have their hometown on their nametags so people strike up conversations about where you are from, etc. Help out happy vacationers by day, lounge by the pool at your condo at night with your coworkers.....

There is also the Amazon Camperforce, The National Park service campground host program, teach English in a foreign country...get started googling and you can find lots of cool things to do with your retirement. Sheesh......I can't wait to get a retirement job!!!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWhing View Post
I'm a 64 year old man and the day of my retirement is getting closer. I dread even thinking about such day because working is my lifeline. It has always been the source of my life....
NOW is the time to start the adjustment, not when you retire. If you're not already involved in non-work activities and clubs, get involved in them pronto. If you have no hobbies, get some now. Give it some thought first, then plunge in. Community organizations are always looking for help and leadership.

I know what it's like to be so involved with your work that it becomes who you are. I was a newspaper editor-publisher. It was my life -- too much so. I sold out young intending to purchase another newspaper in a beautiful mountain town, then my wife decided she didn't want to move. But I was also a board member/officer for at least a dozen other community and state organizations, so I remained pretty active. I also had hobbies -- flying, golfing, fishing, camping, boating, etc., etc. And I bought or started smaller businesses to run (one at a time). I found that it wasn't so much WHAT I did as it was that I kept busy. You need to do that too. Start now. Good luck.

Oh, and as far as romance in later years, you've probably already discovered that the older you get the more women are falling over themselves to get to you. I'm married and not looking, but at 68 I'm getting hit on regularly.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,319,113 times
Quote:
I'm a 64 year old man and the day of my retirement is getting closer. I dread even thinking about such day because working is my lifeline. It has always been the source of my life. I've never been married (or in a LTR) and don't have children. I understand how many of my colleagues are looking forward for that day because they want to spend more time with their grandchidren, etc. For me, however, it'll be the start of eternal boredom.

Many colleagues have been joking and teasing me how I can finally have time to find a lady. But many say they are not joking. They can't be serious, can they? I have grey hair already and grumpy as hell.
Finding the time to find a lady? That's not your predicament...and surely by now, you're quite aware of that.

My experience has been that when anyone wants to pursue an interest or accomplish a particular goal, they think about it, the steps they need to take to get them there...and then they set out and DO IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Oh, wait, this is about romance.
Quote:
I have a housekeeper and I cook very well, it's one of the few things I enjoy besides working. I never needed a woman to take care of me or my issues.
Sooooo...what exactly is the point of your post in proclaiming that you have never had an LTR, married, or had any children? Now, in hindsight are you lamenting, regretting your choices? Are you thinking of NOW investing in procurement of a relationship with a woman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The gal that works for me, her Mother is 76 or 78 and she is getting married in the next few months. I don't think your age is working against you.
It's not his age working against him, it is his underlying attitude concerning women and the threat of being financially ruined in the event he becomes involved in a relationship.

Quote:
Don't be surprised if one of them ends up penniless.
Well, there you have it...penniless, no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Aren't you the cheery, uplifting sort!

It seems like he's already decided to do just that. Except he's posting here for a reason. I wonder what that is, if he's not open to advice.
Yes, but in his defense he did admit early on that he was the 'grumpy' sort. His reason is to hear about how he can pursue an LTR and not become 'penniless' in the process.

Quote:
I don't take a single pill.
I suspect that you don't need a pill but rather a change of heart and perception to your beliefs.

Quote:
Sorry if I came across as too grumpy, I wasn't have a very good day yesterday. Yes, my self worth is defined by my job.
Get another job...good luck with that!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:40 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
Quote:
Sorry if I came across as too grumpy, I wasn't have a very good day yesterday. Yes, my self worth is defined by my job.
Then why are you retiring? Are you being forced to retire? It doesn't sound like you really want to be in a relationship. You are just thinking a relationship might be good because that's what everyone else is doing. People like you should really work as long as possible and forget retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships