Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 12:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Anyone who has no plans on immediately getting pregnant, should have an IUD, period... no reason not to. No side effects, especially compared to birth control pills, and much higher success rate
The various types of IUDs on the market actually do come with a range of side effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 PM

745 posts, read 801,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Of course there are side effects. Copper IUDs don't have hormonal side effects (mood swings, weight gain), but they can still cause painful periods and cramping.
Not saying that isnt true, but every woman I have been involved with, said their periods were actually lighter and less painful

Quote:
My friend had hers removed after her husband kept complaining about being repeatedly stabbed in the tip of his penis during intercourse.
Dude must be packing some heat...

Old 06-25-2015, 12:56 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Not saying that isnt true, but every woman I have been involved with, said their periods were actually lighter and less painful

Sure, but the fallacy of using this as evidence is obvious. The women that had bad reactions from it don't use it anymore (they had it taken out), the ones that had great results continue to use it.

You're running into a biased group.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
My friend is teeny (maybe 5'0") so that's probably part of it. Her story about multiple little dents afterward made me both wince and laugh.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Not saying that isnt true
Actually, what you said was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen
Anyone who has no plans on immediately getting pregnant, should have an IUD, period... no reason not to. No side effects...
Believe me, most sexually active women are WELL-versed on the side effects of various forms of contraception and prophylaxis and have the knowledge to refute claims of a dubious nature.

Some women find that the IUD is a GREAT form of contraception for them (though they may have a preference regarding hormonal IUDs like Mirena or copper wire-wrapped, hormone-free ones like Paragard). No argument, there. But "No side effects," is straight up BS, sorry.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:00 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
My friend is teeny (maybe 5'0") so that's probably part of it. Her story about multiple little dents afterward made me both wince and laugh.

The woman is 5', or the guy's _____ is 5'?

Old 06-25-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, but the fallacy of using this as evidence is obvious. The women that had bad reactions from it don't use it anymore (they had it taken out),
Or their bodies straight-up rejected it, which is more common among women who have it inserted prior to ever carrying a fetus, shortly following delivery, or who have a history of endometrial or cervical polyps.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:44 PM

51 posts, read 49,943 times
Quote:
Of course there are side effects. Copper IUDs don't have hormonal side effects (mood swings, weight gain), but they can still cause painful periods and cramping. My friend had hers removed after her husband kept complaining about being repeatedly stabbed in the tip of his penis during intercourse. They can puncture the uterus as well.
How about dealing with getting pregnant while having an IUD in? Happened to a friend of mine.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:01 PM

227 posts, read 195,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingRejected View Post
How about dealing with getting pregnant while having an IUD in? Happened to a friend of mine.
You can prevent it by having some backup birth control, especially in a casual situation.

Now if it happens, it could be an ectopic pregnancy, which has to be terminated (the embryo has implanted in the fallopian tube instead of the uterus) or else the mother could become infertile or even die. If it's a regular pregnancy (heard this tends to happen with Paraguard, the copper one), then you'd have to get it removed and then go from there.

Last edited by weeblywobbly; 06-25-2015 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: clarifications

Old 06-25-2015, 02:10 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeblywobbly View Post
You can prevent it by having some backup birth control, especially in a casual situation.
And that just brings us full circle for the "just make her get an IUD" guys who don't want to wear a condom. I think most everyone agrees that sex without a condom feels better, but in a casual sex situation they're a necessity. It's easy for dudes to talk about women getting on a variety of birth control, but they all (ALL) have side effects, and none of them will prevent STD/STI transmission. So even though wrapping it up makes your boner sad, a woman is completely in the right to insist on condoms with a FWB/ONS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships