Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 09:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingRejected View Post

It's the impact the supposed rejection has on me that's having way too much of an impact on me, and something I would agree needs to be addressed as rejection comes in many forms so....like another poster said, God help me if (when) someone I truly love/care about does me wrong. Which I have had happen before a few years ago. It was not pretty.
Yep, this is exactly what you need to seek to address and learn how to handle healthily. And, clearly, your current approach is not one that is working well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
It shows us what you are working with, to try to understand some of your feelings and actions.
No, utter nonsense. It would tell you nothing. And nobody in their right mind would pay attention to your request, anyway. Nice try, though.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:59 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,811,100 times
Who paid for the room?

Old 06-24-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingRejected View Post
Well, deep down I do 'know' that, but that's not the way my mind thinks when this sort of thing happens.

The thought process I go through is:

-I wasn't attractive enough for him to stay/come back to me
-I wasn't attractive enough for him to call back at another time or try to communicate with me to meet again
-I wasn't worthy of enough respect for him to use a condom
-I was a bad judge of character and shouldn't have even been so shocked someone I barely knew pulled something like this
-I was dumb not to be prepared myself just in case this happened

....and on and on and on. I am guessing this is not how others' minds work. This is the thought process I go through. And not just right after it happens...all day...even today. I can't stop thinking about it.
Well, it's not the thought process of someone whose sense of self hasn't been badly damaged by prior abuse and molestation, but it would be pretty amazing if you WEREN'T reacting this way, given the abuse.

Consciously working to rewire these types of thought patterns is really hard work, especially when they are so ingrained, but there are evidence-based therapeutic approaches that can help you do just that, if you're up for putting in the effort.

Counseling, if you go that route, is about 99% what you put into it, though, and approaches like CBT (which focuses in large part on retraining yourself out of cycles of maladaptive thought patterns) don't work well on people who expect them to be a magic pill. Getting emotionally healthy is a lot of effing work, even with help. Some people don't get that about therapy, which is why I mention that. I had an ex for whom CBT "didn't work," and the reason it didn't work was because he didn't actually commit to working on his problem behavior. He thought sitting in a therapist's office for 45 minutes every couple of weeks would just "fix him" on its own and was pissed that it doesn't work like that.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:03 AM

745 posts, read 801,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
No, utter nonsense. It would tell you nothing. And nobody in their right mind would pay attention to your request, anyway. Nice try, though.
It might tell us a reason why she hasnt had sex in a year, so there's that...

Old 06-24-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Good try, bro.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:15 AM

745 posts, read 801,772 times
Quote:
Good try, bro.
It's a very valid point, the fact that you refuse to recognize it is your right, but you are in denial

Old 06-24-2015, 10:50 AM

51 posts, read 49,943 times
Quote:
Just trust that my looks aren't the reason.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:01 AM

51 posts, read 49,943 times
Quote:
Well, it's not the thought process of someone whose sense of self hasn't been badly damaged by prior abuse and molestation, but it would be pretty amazing if you WEREN'T reacting this way, given the abuse.

Consciously working to rewire these types of thought patterns is really hard work, especially when they are so ingrained, but there are evidence-based therapeutic approaches that can help you do just that, if you're up for putting in the effort.

Counseling, if you go that route, is about 99% what you put into it, though, and approaches like CBT (which focuses in large part on retraining yourself out of cycles of maladaptive thought patterns) don't work well on people who expect them to be a magic pill. Getting emotionally healthy is a lot of effing work, even with help. Some people don't get that about therapy, which is why I mention that. I had an ex for whom CBT "didn't work," and the reason it didn't work was because he didn't actually commit to working on his problem behavior. He thought sitting in a therapist's office for 45 minutes every couple of weeks would just "fix him" on its own and was pissed that it doesn't work like that.
Well I'm just starting to realize that. After not seeing my counselor for months and seeing her yesterday, I realized I need someone new. We always appear to only be 'scratching the surface' when it comes to issues I need to address.

The sessions are more like venting sessions of mine, where she gives me homework at the end which is usually:

-Join this or that website to meet a better quality of men
-Join a church
-Delve back into the hobbies I've been neglecting
-Get back on antidepressants and exercise more

Not saying those things aren't important...but after almost 2 years with this counselor I'm realizing we aren't getting anywhere and my main motivation in seeing her is simply to have someone to talk to outside of my friends. Considering she knows the things I've been through, I'd think we would have employed some kind of identifiable techniques/tools by now in order to get me moving in a better direction.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:05 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships