Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 11:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingRejected View Post
Well I'm just starting to realize that. After not seeing my counselor for months and seeing her yesterday, I realized I need someone new. We always appear to only be 'scratching the surface' when it comes to issues I need to address.

The sessions are more like venting sessions of mine, where she gives me homework at the end which is usually:

-Join this or that website to meet a better quality of men
-Join a church
-Delve back into the hobbies I've been neglecting
-Get back on antidepressants and exercise more

Not saying those things aren't important...but after almost 2 years with this counselor I'm realizing we aren't getting anywhere and my main motivation in seeing her is simply to have someone to talk to outside of my friends. Considering she knows the things I've been through, I'd think we would have employed some kind of identifiable techniques/tools by now in order to get me moving in a better direction.
If you think the fit is poor, and have given it a while, it's totally valid to seek a referral to somebody else (or find somebody else on your own).

But do consider what you've been choosing to address, as well, and the type of therapy you are receiving. Different therapeutic approaches focus on different things. There are types of therapy that are very concerned with past experiences and how they shape current behavior and thought processes, and there are those that notably and intentionally avoid focus on past/background, for instance. Lots of different techniques and schools of thought and specialties within the field of counseling psych. Do you know what type of approach your provider favors?

In all honestly, though, studies show again and again that MOST people who seek therapy actually do so simply for what you are saying you've been doing...accessing a listening ear that has no conflict of interest or bias as friends/family would, and reaping the benefits of having the resource of an empathic listener. In fact, many, many clients end up discontinuing therapy simply because what they have received what they wanted, which was really just to feel listened to by a neutral party, which can be the most therapeutic thing of all. You feel you need more, which seems pretty valid. You could always voice that concern to your therapist, and see what she thinks. It could be that she can suggest a referral to someone whose approach is more what you need, or it could be that she is willing and able to switch her approach to be more in line with what you are seeking. If she is a proponent of what's known as person-centered therapy, for instance, she's likely operating by letting YOU take the lead and take ownership of what you need and want. Just food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:13 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No loss, but seriously, this should have been discussed before you met for sex and got down. Seriously. This is not area to make assumptions.
This. Good grief.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
It's a very valid point, the fact that you refuse to recognize it is your right, but you are in denial
Yeah, pretty sure my approach isn't the one that's out of line on this thread.

But, by all means, continue to try to goad and manipulate women into sending you pics. Seems legit.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:00 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Here's the thing. For many, casual sex is NOT about the person they're having casual sex with. It's about getting laid. Period. Full stop. That's all. So there's not much point in taking it as a personal slight, since it really more than likely wasn't about you, in the first place, anyway. You just happened to be available and willing.
Exactly right, and well-stated. Thread can end right here.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:25 PM

51 posts, read 49,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Most guys will carry them when he is meeting a girl for hookup so don't be so hard on yourself. It is a good policy for a girl to always carry some as you never know as you always cannot count on guys. I would text him if still interested and see if you can setup another date. He is probably embarrassed and don't know how to handle the next move. Sounds like you had great chemistry don't let this die without trying.

I was EXTREMELY close to doing this the next day.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:29 PM

745 posts, read 801,772 times
Where do you live?

Old 06-24-2015, 01:30 PM

Geez, you want her picture AND her address?

Old 06-24-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingRejected View Post
I was EXTREMELY close to doing this the next day.
I really wouldn't.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:34 PM

745 posts, read 801,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Geez, you want her picture AND her address?
Not address, just city/state. Again, trying to understand how an attractive girl cant get laid. I mean if it's BFE North Dakota...

Old 06-24-2015, 01:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Not address, just city/state. Again, trying to understand how an attractive girl cant get laid. I mean if it's BFE North Dakota...
Ok, please stop.

You understand that she COULD have gotten laid, right??? If she had said, "Sure, go ahead and f*ck me with no condom. No problem!!"

But she apparently cares about her health and said NO.

Any other questions?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships