Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 12:19 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
You might offer him to live with you. You don't need his "rent", so he can continue to save up. Try to make it reasonable and fun for both of you. If you do, you could marry, get children and buy a house together. If not (more likely), you'll have no problems with separating him.
"Continue" to save up? He's not saving at all. Why do some posters think that just because he's living with his parents, he's saving towards some goal? No goal. Virtually no savings, except for when he's jazzed about buying a new toy. Just living in the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 12:21 PM

203 posts, read 172,782 times
You know when I read your kind of responses I can only think that people like you are resentful for buying into what "mature" people are "supposed to do" and have becoming inextricably mired in debt, "responsibilities," emotional and workplace stress, etc. (ie. the rat race). You can't stand the fact that people can figure out alternative ways of living and actually enjoy the life they lead without all of the societal expectations and ballast. Too many people in the USA "live to work" and expect everybody else to conform lockstep with their benighted worldview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's a pathetic excuse for staying with Mommy & Daddy and failing to become a self-supporting adult.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:25 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksalot View Post
You know when I read your kind of responses I can only think that people like you are resentful for buying into what "mature" people are "supposed to do" and have becoming inextricably mired in debt, "responsibilities," emotional and workplace stress, etc. (ie. the rat race). You can't stand the fact that people can figure out alternative ways of living and actually enjoy the life they lead without all of the societal expectations and ballast. Too many people in the USA "live to work" and expect everybody else to conform lockstep with their benighted worldview.
There's nothing wrong with that. But a guy who wants to have a gf with an MA who wants to build a career and go places with her life is going to be disappointed. His lifestyle isn't compatible with that particular item on his wish-list. If he's happy going it alone, or hanging out with a gf who's similarly directionless, then--fine. No problem. Good match. But this thread was started by the gf, who wants to know what to do. It wasn't started by the guy complaining about people giving him a hard time for living with his parents and working just above minimum wage on what sounds like a not entirely regular basis.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:25 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
And when I see responses like yours, I feel so glad to have raised my kids to be personally responsible mature young adults that are thriving in their own homes, in good jobs, with their own families, instead of mooching off my husband and I.

It's a good thing you quoted "mature" and "responsible", because your description of life is neither of those.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:

When I read responses like yours I can only think of people that claim to be marching to their own drummer, and claiming the masses don't understand them, and then point fingers at everyone else and say "your jealous" or "your resentful" or "your all sheep" in mock affront-age to cover up for their lack of taking responsibility for themselves.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:37 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,721 times
Lightbulb Alright Y'all...It's That Time Again

Quote:
You know, when I read YOUR kind of responses, I can't help but ask 'when are folks on this forum going to tire of hearing a bunch of bulldirkey from self-appointed, self-anointed 'experts' on how OTHER people are supposed to live their lives, when in fact they're trying to hide the reality that they're a bunch of whiny sycophants who can't either organize their sock drawers or put both hands on their hind-ends in a brightly lit room?'

How about now and today? I have grey hairs in my mustache and a bag of spinach in my fridge that I worry about more than self-serving, fawning, outright drivel like this

Just for the record, to respond to some other malarkey you posted upthread, I am married...HAPPILY married, and thus don't have to give a rat's arse dipped in clarified butter about what somebody who got b***h-slapped one too many times and now has a permanent boner about women, marriage, and whether they should use Clorox when they wash their good white undies...I'm sorry if your reltionships/Marraiges/getting told 'I can only be a sister to you, Horace' didn't work out, but tough tooter

Get some iron in your spine, grow a set, and quit wasting bandwidth acting like you're on a mission from god trying to tell people about the pitfalls of marriage according to you...that gets annoying after a while, and besides, when folks click that red 'X' up there in the corner, you and your hot-air vanish into the ether and go away, and your effect on their lives drops once again to negative-zero

Old 08-14-2015, 12:44 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,894,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Continue" to save up? He's not saving at all. Why do some posters think that just because he's living with his parents, he's saving towards some goal? No goal. Virtually no savings, except for when he's jazzed about buying a new toy. Just living in the moment.
My idea was to move together, then observe how it goes, rather than just kick the guy she liked out of her life just because he's living with his parents. I know there's some stigma attached to it, but generally speaking there's nothing wrong with living with parents. Especially if you're also paying your share of expenses and helps them with the chores, maybe even takes care of parents...

Obviously this couple was not a good fit for each other, so they split, and that's good for both of them

Old 08-14-2015, 03:19 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
You know, when I read YOUR kind of responses, I can't help but ask 'when are folks on this forum going to tire of hearing a bunch of bulldirkey from self-appointed, self-anointed 'experts' on how OTHER people are supposed to live their lives, when in fact they're trying to hide the reality that they're a bunch of whiny sycophants who can't either organize their sock drawers or put both hands on their hind-ends in a brightly lit room?'

How about now and today? I have grey hairs in my mustache and a bag of spinach in my fridge that I worry about more than self-serving, fawning, outright drivel like this

Just for the record, to respond to some other malarkey you posted upthread, I am married...HAPPILY married, and thus don't have to give a rat's arse dipped in clarified butter about what somebody who got b***h-slapped one too many times and now has a permanent boner about women, marriage, and whether they should use Clorox when they wash their good white undies...I'm sorry if your reltionships/Marraiges/getting told 'I can only be a sister to you, Horace' didn't work out, but tough tooter

Get some iron in your spine, grow a set, and quit wasting bandwidth acting like you're on a mission from god trying to tell people about the pitfalls of marriage according to you...that gets annoying after a while, and besides, when folks click that red 'X' up there in the corner, you and your hot-air vanish into the ether and go away, and your effect on their lives drops once again to negative-zero
You, sir, owe me a new keyboard - one that doesn't have coffee spewed into it.

Great post. That's what I always think when I read a post from someone like this - that they are permanently friend-zoned by the female populace of the world and are mad about it. That, and no one seems to think highly of their slacker status.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:52 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with choosing a different path. But, a responsible and mature adult pays their own way. They don't mooch from their parents well into adulthood.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:05 PM

837 posts, read 754,104 times
a clown like this who is such a gigantic loser has a lovely girlfriend while I, a guy who bought a beautiful 2000 square foot townhouse at the age of 25, making a top 2% income nationally, motivated and driven as all hell...I can't even get a date.

just mind boggling, I can't think of any words to describe the horror and dismay I feel right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships