Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 11:50 PM

204 posts, read 145,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Specific to MGTOW.com (the website). Is it a resource you recommend or decline? Does it represent your personal views?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvianfisher View Post
Thank you for your question. It's 4pm here and I have a dinner date at 5 so I have to logoff. I will come back later and talk to you. If this site won't let me edit this exact post when I come back then I'll add a new one.

Thank you.
Ok, I'm back. As I say, there are a number of sites where men talk. I don't go to mgtow.com as I hang out in a different one. I haven't visited mgtow.com for a while but it has those slick production values that don't do a thing for me. Perhaps it appeals to the younger set to see the bells and whistles and kewl graphics. I go for plain talk on a plain screen, like the format used here at city-data. Everyone chooses what they like.

I have visited a few other sites in the manosphere and there seems to be a difference in the members or, rather, in how they contribute. Like any site, including city-data. You have attitudes (sounds like an understatement, I know) but you also have some keen insightful knowledge that the mainstream won't touch. The site I prefer is smaller in membership and those who have compared sites tell us that we seem to exhibit a more intelligent member base in the way we discuss ideas and that we have a good sense of humor. I think so too, because when I went to visit yet another site, I sensed an age difference that, well, I don't need to have to overlook over and over again. So I always come back to the one I like best. Our editor keeps current with what is happening but any member can post articles for discussion ("Hey, guys, look at this."). I contribute regularly there.

These various sites all seem to support the MGTOW idea (and why wouldn't they, I guess) and how and when different newsworthy articles get posted and discussed is subject to the guy(s) who run each site. These sites are not franchises reporting to a national headquarters so you get what you get when you visit any of them. I will gently say that women who visit them will react to the locker-room talk and we see that in the subsequent reviews by these women. But, as a man, I know when men are spouting off and when they are serious and when they are joking. I understand how to be around men when women are not around.

There is no official canon or anything, so it's hard to say to you that any of my views are represented by any website. Too, just because I may frequent one "MGTOW" website over the many does not mean my full diet comes from that site. I'm going my own way after all and I go anywhere online I please, just like anybody, to read the news, talk with folks, etc.

It would be useful if people unfamiliar with the MGTOW idea would not look at it like some army of lockstepping soldiers any more than all the forums on city-data have all its members marching in lockstep. Someone asked in this thread how can a married man be MGTOW. Well, since each man is an individual, one has to ask a married MGTOW that question. I am not one and no doubt their details would differ among different married MGTOW. All I can do is suggest to her to think it out for herself, that if she can understand how a feminist can be married, then it isn't too much of a stretch to extrapolate from that and think about how a married man can be MGTOW. And be content with that answer. I have no special powers to answer that question for another. I can only speak generally, when I can. Yet, the nice lady who asked the question thought I could produce the answer and may hold it against me that I cannot tell her to her satisfaction. That's innocent of her, to a point, but where does that expectation come from? Likely from the mere fact that I am present here in this thread but I think it also comes from the fact that people expect from MGTOW an organization with rules where none exist.

Bottom line, I'd recommend any MGTOW website for a guy who is compelled to know more and/or is trying to find answers to what happened to him. However, if you are not compelled to know more but are just dropping by out of curiosity, I'd say fasten your seat belt because there are things there that do not get discussed or analyzed in other places. These are men-only spaces.

Last edited by sylvianfisher; 02-11-2016 at 12:06 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 03:36 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,609,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
And that makes it better?

Good chance he would have gone to jail without the CCTV evidence.

She should be in jail right now for slander and for a false rape accusation, but of course, she'll end up getting off scot free. She gives women that have REALLY been raped a bad name.
BellaLind isn't saying it makes it better; she's saying it makes the celebrity an a-hole but doesn't mean all women are like that, which is what the MGTOW site seems to imply.

Your final sentence is spot on.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:43 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
BellaLind isn't saying it makes it better; she's saying it makes the celebrity an a-hole but doesn't mean all women are like that, which is what the MGTOW site seems to imply.

Your final sentence is spot on.
Agreed. A false charge of rape should result in a jail sentence. Rape is a serious crime that can happen to women, men, and children. It's disgusting that some people throw that term out there just to mess with someone.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:49 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,609,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvianfisher View Post
Ok, I'm back. As I say, there are a number of sites where men talk. I don't go to mgtow.com as I hang out in a different one. I haven't visited mgtow.com for a while but it has those slick production values that don't do a thing for me. Perhaps it appeals to the younger set to see the bells and whistles and kewl graphics. I go for plain talk on a plain screen, like the format used here at city-data. Everyone chooses what they like.

I have visited a few other sites in the manosphere and there seems to be a difference in the members or, rather, in how they contribute. Like any site, including city-data. You have attitudes (sounds like an understatement, I know) but you also have some keen insightful knowledge that the mainstream won't touch. The site I prefer is smaller in membership and those who have compared sites tell us that we seem to exhibit a more intelligent member base in the way we discuss ideas and that we have a good sense of humor. I think so too, because when I went to visit yet another site, I sensed an age difference that, well, I don't need to have to overlook over and over again. So I always come back to the one I like best. Our editor keeps current with what is happening but any member can post articles for discussion ("Hey, guys, look at this."). I contribute regularly there.

These various sites all seem to support the MGTOW idea (and why wouldn't they, I guess) and how and when different newsworthy articles get posted and discussed is subject to the guy(s) who run each site. These sites are not franchises reporting to a national headquarters so you get what you get when you visit any of them. I will gently say that women who visit them will react to the locker-room talk and we see that in the subsequent reviews by these women. But, as a man, I know when men are spouting off and when they are serious and when they are joking. I understand how to be around men when women are not around.

There is no official canon or anything, so it's hard to say to you that any of my views are represented by any website. Too, just because I may frequent one "MGTOW" website over the many does not mean my full diet comes from that site. I'm going my own way after all and I go anywhere online I please, just like anybody, to read the news, talk with folks, etc.

It would be useful if people unfamiliar with the MGTOW idea would not look at it like some army of lockstepping soldiers any more than all the forums on city-data have all its members marching in lockstep. Someone asked in this thread how can a married man be MGTOW. Well, since each man is an individual, one has to ask a married MGTOW that question. I am not one and no doubt their details would differ among different married MGTOW. All I can do is suggest to her to think it out for herself, that if she can understand how a feminist can be married, then it isn't too much of a stretch to extrapolate from that and think about how a married man can be MGTOW. And be content with that answer. I have no special powers to answer that question for another. I can only speak generally, when I can. Yet, the nice lady who asked the question thought I could produce the answer and may hold it against me that I cannot tell her to her satisfaction. That's innocent of her, to a point, but where does that expectation come from? Likely from the mere fact that I am present here in this thread but I think it also comes from the fact that people expect from MGTOW an organization with rules where none exist.

Bottom line, I'd recommend any MGTOW website for a guy who is compelled to know more and/or is trying to find answers to what happened to him. However, if you are not compelled to know more but are just dropping by out of curiosity, I'd say fasten your seat belt because there are things there that do not get discussed or analyzed in other places. These are men-only spaces.
I don't know if you are referring to me as the "nice lady;" I don't think so, since I'm not the one who asked about MGTOW who are married.

I'm simply asking if I am correct in my impression that MGTOW lump women into one category.

I'll give you my response before you answer: I'm fine with people going their own way. As I said way at the beginning of the thread, I don't care what someone I'm not going to date does. Obviously if he is going his own way, it's not like I'm going to pester him to change him mind to become involved with me. Choice is choice.

The problem I have is that I don't like the idea of this... movement?... blaming all women for societies ills. If that's not what they do, that's fine, but there's enough hatred and prejudicism in life to not have to deal with a push against all women. It's tough enough to get people to understand the true spirit of feminism vs. manhating.

I'll make it even easisr: do you, personally, dislike all women sight unseen?

I just want to know what the truth is, at least in your case.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:10 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,111,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
The problem I have is that I don't like the idea of this... movement?... blaming all women for societies ills. If that's not what they do, that's fine, but there's enough hatred and prejudicism in life to not have to deal with a push against all women. It's tough enough to get people to understand the true spirit of feminism vs. manhating.

I'll make it even easisr: do you, personally, dislike all women sight unseen?

I just want to know what the truth is, at least in your case.
I dont think anyone is blaming "women" per say. Its more like people hate the American legal system which gives cash rewards to women for divorcing. Because many Americans are egotistical and greedy (male and female), they gladly divorce for an alimony grab and property seizure. And being the marriage courts seem to award 97% of alimony to women (and frequently children and primary residence), they currently are the ones doing most of the divorcing. Of course a good prenup can reduce this but many people dont bother.

I have no doubt it men were usually de facto given the house, kids, and alimony many more would be filing for divorce than currently do. The only one that really benefits from the divorce industry though are lawyers who take a huge cut regardless of who "wins" the legal battles.

As for MGTOW guys many do date, even long term. They just dont marry, and are probably more likely to use surrogate mothers/adoption services if they want kids. Some may go completely celibate, but thats not realistic to most men. And any men that want to date, even short term, are going to have to be generally amicable to the opposite sex.

Last edited by njbiodude; 02-11-2016 at 05:28 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 05:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I dont think anyone is blaming "women" per say. Its more like people hate the American legal system which gives cash rewards to women for divorcing. Because many Americans are egotistical and greedy (male and female), they gladly divorce for an alimony grab and property seizure. And being the marriage courts seem to award 97% of alimony to women (and frequently children and primary residence), they currently are the ones doing most of the divorcing. Of course a good prenup can reduce this but many people dont bother.

Alimony generally gets awarded to the person earning less, and generally due to societal norms and quite frankly, male ego, its the woman that becomes the primary childcare giver and really family care giver for extended family, so their careers take a back seat. If more men went for joint custody (which is the default where I live), then child care wouldn't be and issue. I don't live in fear of 1 in 20 chances personally. I also rarely, if ever, date people out my socioeconomic class.

And oh yeah, alimony. 0.35 (generous, percent of first time marriages ending in divorce) * 0.10 t 0.15 (percentages of divorces that include any spousal support), so on the high end there is a 5.25% chance of someone getting married for the first time ever having to pay any alimony, of which the vast amount is temporary.

Interestingly, that percentage is higher than the percentage of divorces that ever go to court/trial, that's about 5%, so the chances of lawyers getting rich is pretty slim too. Most people settle amicably, and tons use mediators to do the division / dissolution.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:12 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,669,626 times
Soooo many gay men...

Old 02-11-2016, 07:06 AM

708 posts, read 824,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
No of course it doesn't make it better. Im not sure how you got that out of my post. I'm just saying I bet if it was just some random woman it most likely wouldn't have gotten that far. Or if you reversed the roles and it was plain Jane woman and some famous actor with a grudge that it would be the same. Powerful people with a chip on their shoulder can make life miserable for the little guy. People like this actress are just plain evil people! I agree that people who make these kinds of false accusations should be punished somehow. They are in the US as you can be prosecuted for filing a false police report. Not sure how they do it in the UK or if they do.

There have been cases where it has been some random woman and guys have ended up in jail, hanged, killed and jailed without evidence. It seems to have nothing to do with celebrities and many cases Ive read after doing more research show it was a non celebrity as you put it.

It looks like you were wrong about the famous actors too, they have had the same things happen.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:11 AM

708 posts, read 824,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
The online "MGTOW" community are not men that are truly "going their own way". Men that are truly doing this usually do it without any fanfare. There have been plenty of men that have done this in the past (Tesla is one off the top of my head. President James Buchanon is another). I don't think more men are doing this than in previous generations.

Most guys on that forum are not true MGTOW and think of women very often. They have strong emotions, in many cases due to betrayal. They have significant anger and are very bitter, as opposed to apathetic (which is what they would be if they truly didn't care).

That's what I was thinking until I read that many said they were Mgtow for most of their lives without realising it had been given a name. They said they thought they were alone but the name allowed them all to talk to each other and realise there were many others.

From what Ive now read, it seems to be a mixture of those who still date, some who no longer date, some angry, some calm, some bitter, some laughing and some divorced. They talked about a kind of anger some of them went through and how not everyone gets over it.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:13 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
[quote=sylvianfisher;42963377]
Quote:
That's not true. In Post #276 I spelled it out, how to look for things online. And that was in response to criticism, as if their inabilities are my problem.
Sorry, but no one needs a tutorial to google. And it wasn't criticism honey. I posted a link to the official MGTOW website. That there are other youtube videos or discussion boards addressing MGTOW is irrelevant. There are probably numerous sites addressing women's rights issues but if one references the group name NOW it is the mission statement of the official NOW website that is recognized as representative of NOW. Same with MGTOW.

Quote:
Someone called me a turd here. That, I won't respond to.
Apparently you reading/comprehension skills are lacking. I was not addressing you the comment was in reference to the MGTOW group/organization.

Quote:
What is true is that I am not repeating MGTOW details that your members can find out for themselves if they would only apply themselves. Much of the information is complicated and I likely would not do it justice to start over with it here. They came to this thread freely. They can leave if they are dissatisfied. But, they linger and take pot shots, revealing their lesser selves.
Its not complicated. All one has to do is spend some time on their website, which some of us have done to educate ourselves on the group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships