Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 07:40 AM

36,543 posts, read 30,891,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
And that makes it better?

Good chance he would have gone to jail without the CCTV evidence.

She should be in jail right now for slander and for a false rape accusation, but of course, she'll end up getting off scot free. She gives women that have REALLY been raped a bad name.
Oh for Pete's sake. A person could find a zillion cases of bad accusations, charges, arrests, convictions, etc. What are you suggesting this proves? All women are evil, courts and law enforcement favor women? It happens to both genders, it happens between social and economic classes, it happens between races and cultures.

My son was arrested and spent a week in jail on attempted murder charges because he defended himself and his girlfriend against a man that was harassing them and started a fistfight with him while they were at a wake. When witnesses came forward all charges were dropped. He still spent a week in jail and nothing was done to the man who filed false charges. What does that prove? All men are evil, courts favor blond haired men?

Old 02-11-2016, 07:56 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Oh for Pete's sake. A person could find a zillion cases of bad accusations, charges, arrests, convictions, etc. What are you suggesting this proves? All women are evil, courts and law enforcement favor women? It happens to both genders, it happens between social and economic classes, it happens between races and cultures.

My son was arrested and spent a week in jail on attempted murder charges because he defended himself and his girlfriend against a man that was harassing them and started a fistfight with him while they were at a wake. When witnesses came forward all charges were dropped. He still spent a week in jail and nothing was done to the man who filed false charges. What does that prove? All men are evil, courts favor blond haired men?
You are correct, but in this case, we are talking about women filing wrongful rape accusations.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,705,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I had a similar experience. I used to have an after school job with the elementary school back when I was in high school. One day, a father accused me of "beating up" his son (or abusing him I suppose). In his fury, he demanded to see me at the school Luckily, the day this was alleged to have happened, I was away on a school trip--had been for the whole week. So not only was I not there to face an angry father's misplaced wrath, but I wasn't there when his kid came home black and blue. Suddenly the story changed when it was realized the lie couldn't stick because I was and had been several states away. Turned out he got into a fight with another kid he wasn't supposed to be around and decided to blame me to protect himself.

Does this mean all little boys are horrible monsters who want to ruin people's lives? Of course not. Could I have had my life ruined if his lie stuck, yes. But it doesn't mean I am going around fearing little boys and their false accusations the rest of my life. It was an isolated incident with a brat.

Crap like that happens in life. It's horrible and unfair. But more so than false accusations the real crimes happen more often (child abuse, rape, assaults, etc). And those crimes are just as horrible and unfair to their victims as well. I would say there need to be stiff penalties for those who make false accusations. But just because a handful of miscreants make them, doesn't mean the world is out to get you. You got to think logically and keep perspective.

Don't become an emotional wreck who sees danger or false accusations around every corner. If you are a man who does this, thinks every woman is out to accuse you of fake rape. Then you are exactly like a woman who lives in fear that every man out there is out to hurt her and rape her. It's offensive to the good women who are the majority and would never make a false claim (or in the case of the woman, the good men who would never lay a hand on you) of the world to be lumped in with false accusers and rapists. And it makes your life a miserable one full of fear. Be safe, don't do stupid things that will put you at risk, but don't cripple yourself with fear.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
You are correct, but in this case, we are talking about women filing wrongful rape accusations.
I read the link. First it said "accused of brushing against the actress" then its says "cleared of sexual assault" and later "the CPS presenting a case that the man was able to penetrate the actress". No where did it say wrongful rape accusations. What I gathered from the case was it was the fault of the CPS. They are the ones who turned the brushing against into penetration.

Which goes back to our (or their) court system being flawed and not that one or the other gender is evil and to blame for this.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I had a similar experience. I used to have an after school job with the elementary school back when I was in high school. One day, a father accused me of "beating up" his son (or abusing him I suppose). In his fury, he demanded to see me at the school Luckily, the day this was alleged to have happened, I was away on a school trip--had been for the whole week. So not only was I not there to face an angry father's misplaced wrath, but I wasn't there when his kid came home black and blue. Suddenly the story changed when it was realized the lie couldn't stick because I was and had been several states away. Turned out he got into a fight with another kid he wasn't supposed to be around and decided to blame me to protect himself.
The scary thing is anyone can go file an accusation and if your convincing enough you can get the warrant writer to have someone charged and arrested. You dont have to prove any real evidence initially.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:23 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,111,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Alimony generally gets awarded to the person earning less, and generally due to societal norms and quite frankly, male ego, its the woman that becomes the primary childcare giver and really family care giver for extended family, so their careers take a back seat. If more men went for joint custody (which is the default where I live), then child care wouldn't be and issue. I don't live in fear of 1 in 20 chances personally. I also rarely, if ever, date people out my socioeconomic class.

And oh yeah, alimony. 0.35 (generous, percent of first time marriages ending in divorce) * 0.10 t 0.15 (percentages of divorces that include any spousal support), so on the high end there is a 5.25% chance of someone getting married for the first time ever having to pay any alimony, of which the vast amount is temporary.

Interestingly, that percentage is higher than the percentage of divorces that ever go to court/trial, that's about 5%, so the chances of lawyers getting rich is pretty slim too. Most people settle amicably, and tons use mediators to do the division / dissolution.
My parents spent tens of thousands on lawyers and didnt even go to court for many years after the divorce (over a custody battle long after the fact over my brother). The mediatiors cost several thousand as well. The reality is the richer most families are the more they waste on divorce in many cases. Marriage makes better sense to men with nothing to lose, or very, very stringent prenups.

Yes permanent alimony is fairly rare these days but it still happens. And what percentage of the time does the women just get to keep the primary residence "for the sake of the kids" etc? The courts are still biased against men. The fact that 97% of alimony recipients are women despite the fact that 40% are the higher earner in the family should tell you this.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:30 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Yes permanent alimony is fairly rare these days but it still happens. And what percentage of the time does the women just get to keep the primary residence "for the sake of the kids" etc? The courts are still biased against men. The fact that 97% of alimony recipients are women despite the fact that 40% are the higher earner in the family should tell you this.
When my sister divorced she "got the house", but as part of the settlement she had to buy out her ex-husband's share, and take on the cost of refinancing, which was a financial hit. Then she had to pay the mortgage and maintenance and utility costs that used to be shared by two working adults on her own. That's not an unusual outcome, and it's not exactly a woman rolling around in piles of her ex's money.

The 97% number (is there a citation, or is this just what MGOTW dudes tell themselves?) sounds impressive until you think of what Timberline was trying to say--alimony is awarded in a tiny fraction of divorces. 97% of a tiny fraction is still a tiny fraction of divorced men who have to pay alimony.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:32 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:

It doesn't at all, because we have no idea if it is the same cohort.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:35 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
is there a citation, or is this just what MGOTW dudes tell themselves?
I've read citations from the Wall Street Journal and other media sources, but I don't know the source of the data.

But yeah, a tiny fraction of a minority fraction really means nothing.

What is clear from the data from most published economic research on the results of divorce is that men make out worse health wise from it, while women make out much worse financially.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:40 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
My parents spent tens of thousands on lawyers and didnt even go to court for many years after the divorce (over a custody battle long after the fact over my brother). The mediatiors cost several thousand as well. The reality is the richer most families are the more they waste on divorce in many cases. Marriage makes better sense to men with nothing to lose, or very, very stringent prenups.

Regarding the primary residence, you could say the courts are biased toward children, because the primary caregiver often gets to live there with the children so that they can continue to go to their same schools, have their same friends, and otherwise experience less disruption in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships