Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 03:00 PM

854 posts, read 586,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, if you're an older guy you've probably accepted that your dating pool is probably filled with women with kids, most likely.

Good, if you are a guy that goes into it with knowledge of the extra responsibilities that children will bring if you date women with kids and you move forward into that next step.

I think that women with kids need to have exceptional pickers in men to be sure that they bring home a good man that will be good to her kids. There are stories out there of awful step dads/moms.

I would be the opposite outcome of that. I don't even like to call my stepdad that; he's just my dad. My mom knew she effed up with the sperm donor and was not looking to make the same mistake twice. The next time around he was 12 years older, wealthy, well-educated, and white.

Sometimes it works out. This could only be described as a love song to a stepparent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO1F6oCab8

However, even in THIS song, Brad makes reference to the fact that single moms rarely have it easy in the dating arena and many men will run when they find out about the kid.

OP, I should mention that my dad (stepfather) was a divorced father himself. I firmly believe that is the pool you should be looking in. Also, I hope you have time to go to the gym because that will help your prospects too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 03:04 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,251,187 times
You should date men that have experience with children. They have more of an understanding what entails in being a parent. They would understand that they will never be top priority that a parents life isnt unencumbered, and the everyday struggles that goes into raising children. You get some guy that doesn't understand how it's like to date a single mom and he will be gone really quick.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Well, if you're an older guy you've probably accepted that your dating pool is probably filled with women with kids, most likely.
I'm surprised that the C-D profile doesn't show ages. Yes, I'm older. 53. Young enough to still try almost anything, but old enough to have learned a few things.

I guess the first single mom I dated (in my late 20's) showed me that sometimes single moms can be really cool. The thought of kids doesn't scare me. Even a two year old. Hehehe. Although the things he did to some of my Legos was a little scary...

And yes, I still play with Legos.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:07 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
I would be the opposite outcome of that. I don't even like to call my stepdad that; he's just my dad. My mom knew she effed up with the sperm donor and was not looking to make the same mistake twice. The next time around he was 12 years older, wealthy, well-educated, and white.

Sometimes it works out. This could only be described as a love song to a stepparent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO1F6oCab8

However, even in THIS song, Brad makes reference to the fact that single moms rarely have it easy in the dating arena and many men will run when they find out about the kid.

OP, I should mention that my dad (stepfather) was a divorced father himself. I firmly believe that is the pool you should be looking in. Also, I hope you have time to go to the gym because that will help your prospects too.

Yes, there are great stepparents out there, there was an article in a British website about moms and stepmoms working together to be a "team" for the kids...

I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Here is a link to the article I was talking about on the Huff post site.

An Open Letter to My Daughter's Stepmom

Last edited by Chowhound; 03-18-2016 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 03:08 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'm surprised that the C-D profile doesn't show ages. Yes, I'm older. 53. Young enough to still try almost anything, but old enough to have learned a few things.

I guess the first single mom I dated (in my late 20's) showed me that sometimes single moms can be really cool. The thought of kids doesn't scare me. Even a two year old. Hehehe. Although the things he did to some of my Legos was a little scary...

And yes, I still play with Legos.

You sound like a good dude, a good single mother would be doing ok with a guy like yourself.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:20 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,251,187 times
You should date men that have experience with children. They have more of an understanding what entails in being a parent. They would understand that they will never be top priority that a parents life isnt unencumbered and the everyday struggles that goes into raising children -not to mention the biological fathers involvement that can cause problems. You get a guy that doesn't understand how it's like to date a single mom throw him in the jungle and he will be gone really quick.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,238,153 times
Quote:
Yes, there are great stepparents out there, there was an article in a British website about moms and stepmoms working together to be a "team" for the kids...

I'll have to see if I can dig it up.
I think the best odds for blending a family happens when all of the adults involved have their **** together, because when two single parents get together, their children's other biological parents become an extension of that blended family, too. If all parents involved are at very least on a cordial basis and have worked through whatever issues led to the demise of their marriages, the kids are a lot more likely to be okay with the new arrangement.

Alternatively, when the kids are very young and their respective non-custodial parents are out of the picture, that can work out well, too.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:19 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,039,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I think the best odds for blending a family happens when all of the adults involved have their **** together, because when two single parents get together, their children's other biological parents become an extension of that blended family, too. If all parents involved are at very least on a cordial basis and have worked through whatever issues led to the demise of their marriages, the kids are a lot more likely to be okay with the new arrangement.

Alternatively, when the kids are very young and their respective non-custodial parents are out of the picture, that can work out well, too.
Other parents were not involved in my last relationship. My last boyfriend has a great relationship with his exinlaws. The mothers are not involved. So no, outside parents issues effecting the kids. All the kids involved had no recollection of their bio parents even being together. His kids just don't like my kids. They like me.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:29 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Gotta be tough in the dating world for young single parents. There's just something about a single mom, I can never catch feelings for them.
Not sure what age range is young but it hasn't been tough for me at all. I'm 28 btw. For me being a parent did not change anything in terms of men interested in being with me. I'm not the representative of all single moms but honestly I think people believe that because they aren't attracted to single mothers that all men think like them and that this means most single moms struggle. That's the power of projection-you start to assume that everything you believe and experience is what others experience. I know there are single mothers that never get remarried, that struggle with dating, that do have men running in the other direction, but I also know plenty of women like myself, who don't have any issue at all in the men department. In fact my issue is always opposite-I feel like men place me on a pedestal far too often and tend to want to step in and have more of a role in my life than I want them to, and are willing to commit before I'm ready for it.

As bad as it sounds a lot of men that I've dated come from single parent households or have women in their family that are single mothers so they are more understanding. But I believe this may be partially cultural-blacks have a higher single parent household and so a lot of the men I've dated don't seem to be as bothered by it. On the other hand I do know that there are black men that would not date a single mother--I just don't run into them.

I think the op and others like her, have a tough time, but that isn't the case for all of us.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:33 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,966 times
Being single myself and childless, I much prefer to date someone that doesn't have children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships