Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 01:17 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
She should have ordered something less expensive. Or at least offer to pay. I would have said "Let me pay for at least half, since I really, really like the lobster here". The "but you invited her" is not a hall pass to order one of the most expensive items on the menu. It is outrageous to expect you to pay for that.

I would dump her. If you don't, be prepared to be broke soon.
Yeah, this! Are you up for, and can you afford, a high-maintenance babe? If no, move on. Ordering the most expensive thing on the menu was just flat out rude. She sounds like a dinner *****. And yes, that IS a thing. I remember a popular NYC radio station talking about this a few years ago and I was disgusted by the number of women calling in and admitting that often went out with guys, in who they had no real romantic interests, just to get a free, nice dinner - while laughing about it. When questioned about it, they said they provided the guy with great conversation, etc. so they weren't just being "takers". I am dead serious. Luckily, not all women are like that, but they are out there. Not sure if this was a first date or just the first dinner but in the future, you might start out with a cup of coffee, a walk in the park, a free cultural event, bike ride, or something like that before committing to dinner.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1981 View Post
Youre getting confused. I never said "who has the time to post?". I said, "men dont have time to play petty games like testing". Clear?
Sure thing!

Meanwhile, THIS man "clearly" has extra time on his hands. Perhaps he's the exception.

Understood?

Old 02-15-2018, 01:20 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
You know damn well she wouldn't have ordered that if she had to pay for it. Toss her.
Bingo!

When people show you their true character like this, it is best to pay attention. $50 could have bought the OP oral in most cities in the US so I hope he got something for his money.

OP, if you haven't figured it out by now you were played like a sucker. This woman is not interested in you.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Yeah, this! Are you up for, and can you afford, a high-maintenance babe? If no, move on. Ordering the most expensive thing on the menu was just flat out rude. She sounds like a dinner *****. And yes, that IS a thing. I remember a popular NYC radio station talking about this a few years ago and I was disgusted by the number of women calling in and admitting that often went out with guys, in who they had no real romantic interests, just to get a free, nice dinner - while laughing about it. When questioned about it, they said they provided the guy with great conversation, etc. so they weren't just being "takers". I am dead serious. Luckily, not all women are like that, but they are out there. Not sure if this was a first date or just the first dinner but in the future, you might start out with a cup of coffee, a walk in the park, a free cultural event, bike ride, or something like that before committing to dinner.

What makes people think it was the most expensive thing on the menu? At steak or seafood places, I don't think I generally see steak/lobster combos as being the most expensive, but perhaps that's because I live by the sea in New England and lobster isn't that pricey.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:22 PM

136 posts, read 101,379 times
i should be working

Old 02-15-2018, 01:22 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
First post yep

Provocative topic that hasn't been addressed for 20 minutes Yep

OP out of sight Yep

Hottest topic on the forum Yep

And yes, had I anything to add I would have. We have met the enemy, and he is us.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:23 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,385 times
$50 for a Valentine's Day dinner is not that outrageous. Many restaurants advertised with a much higher price. So did you give her roses too?

Old 02-15-2018, 01:23 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This is actually true, yes, you can rack up $50 with all said, but again...then how is this all the woman's fault, either? If all her stuff was going to cost $50 does she just not do the appetizer or what...? How complicated really is this supposed to be? It's supposed to be a pleasant day or night out.

Should this guy be going out at all if he has to fear spending $50 somehow or other, even for just an average date?

Just do coffee next time! It bears repeating.
There is no fault here.

She certainly she could order whatever she desires....

On the other hand...

He certainly can drop her as well. If he felt that there is a lack of consideration, she is feeling him out financially, and/or using him, then it is a valid concern and perfectly justified not to see her again.

If the outcome isn't what she wanted, then that's her problem.... The fact that the OP is posting his concern here shows there was a miss-step here. There are women who do dates for free meals and such... that is well known. The last thing a genuinely interested lady should do is act like those women.

That's how I would take it and I am sure I am not the only one. The only thing that would salvage that situation is if she acknowledged it and showed great character by offering to pay... allows him an "out" of the situation and a way back to his comfort zone; by either accepting her offer or by declining politely, paying for it anyways.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
The OP laid this egg and left.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Bingo!

When people show you their true character like this, it is best to pay attention. $50 could have bought the OP oral in most cities in the US so I hope he got something for his money.

Oh man, that's gross. Talk about character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships