Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 03:13 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I'm surprised (not even slightly) that this thread seems designed solely to ridicule a man who defies societal expectations. Because surely had we all said the OP should grab this tall hunk of handsomeness she would have, so it's really about wanting us to vote and all.

My sarcasm is a little out of control today, but this crap gets old. Women don't like guys who live with mom, but apparently they do like pro athletes. The things I learn here.
Pro athletes probably at least make enough to get their 80 year old mom a housekeeper if they're living with them

Old 09-10-2018, 03:14 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
OR....

A 47 yo lady who has 8 cats and introduces you to each one explaining their individual personalities.
Have we met?

Old 09-10-2018, 03:15 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post

I know its unusual setup and most of the time you'd be advised not to pursue.

I'm just thinking of my own experience. My career is flexible enough that I can work from home (probably at reduced pay) if I did consulting too. And if a dear family member had lived longer, I absolutely would have asked him to move-in with me or moved-in with him. In the final years of his life, he was always the 'nominal' head of his household but I lived nearly 1/3 of time at his home -- cleaning, cooking meals, doctors appointments, balancing checkbook, etc anyway.

Also, at first I thought about OP's date playing video games for long periods of time at 47 is a red flag too. But then I thought about it.... In the past year and half, (on average) how many hours a week have I spent on CD/CDr? I then quickly humbled myself.
That's wholly different. What you are talking about and willing to do is very honorable and admirable. Respect to you. It's not freeloading and I thinks OP's dude is.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:17 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Quote:
I'm surprised (not even slightly) that this thread seems designed solely to ridicule a man who defies societal expectations. Because surely had we all said the OP should grab this tall hunk of handsomeness she would have, so it's really about wanting us to vote and all.

My sarcasm is a little out of control today, but this crap gets old. Women don't like guys who live with mom, but apparently they do like pro athletes. The things I learn here.

I think JerZ post was right. This guy just seems (from info we have) not to be 'helping' all that much. Now some 80 year olds can be fierce in their independence (I definitely know) but still.....

No videogames for me if 80 year old mom is slaving over laundry. Period.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:19 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:

No, it's not a simple matter of "defying societal expectations". It is that he appears to be immature and dependent on his mother in ways that make a mature romantic relationship improbable.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:21 PM

I'm a woman and I can't imagine what guy would want to date me if I were 47, still living with my dad who did my laundry and my cooking, and I kind of had a part time job in my pajamas, or maybe not, just...I was....a consultant, leave it at that. No car. No plans to change any part of any of this. But come over, have dinner that my dad just cooked and we'll all talk.

There is NO guy I can think of who would come near that for any sort of relationship. Even when I was only 25 the men I dated expected me to be fully self-supporting. Luckily, at that point I already had been for a few years. At 47? Sitting in my jammies kinda sorta not exactly working sometimes while my mother put a plate of eggs in front of me? And I grabbed the plate to go scoop eggs while playing video games? How is this a gender thing? How many guys here would be all about this scenario?

Old 09-10-2018, 03:24 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yup, you proved OPs point. Red flag.

Besides video games and living with mommy.

Run, OP, run!
No, not everyone wants to get or be married or be in a full-time relationship. There's nothing wrong with that.

I know and have known couples who are in a long-term, committed and monogamous relationship who are not married and do not live together and do not see each other every day, and they love that arrangement. It works from them and they are no less committed to each other than partners who are in a "traditional" relationship. There is nothing wrong with relationships that are defined by the two people in it and not by societal standards or norms (whatever that means).

Old 09-10-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Women don't like guys who live with mom, but apparently they do like pro athletes. The things I learn here.
*One* woman has said this ^ and men and women alike are coming down on her.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:33 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I think JerZ post was right. This guy just seems (from info we have) not to be 'helping' all that much. Now some 80 year olds can be fierce in their independence (I definitely know) but still.....

No videogames for me if 80 year old mom is slaving over laundry. Period.
Having a warm relationship with an elderly parent and a flexible schedule are great, but I'm guessing that most women would look at this guy and think, "if we got involved long term, would he expect me to do his laundry? Would I come home from work to find him in the same spot on the couch playing video games?" That's not really sexy.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:35 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,205 times
This whole thing seems very creepy to me, like something out of a movie. One night Mom puts something in your dinner and you wake up chained in the cellar. There’s red flags all over this and as many posters mentioned I’d get out of this early and not pursue any further. Also I’d never set foot in that Whole Foods again so I could avoid him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.