Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:15 AM

179 posts, read 289,651 times

Advertisements

I have a trip coming up this September and a friend (8 years) is coming with me. we will be sharing the room,2 beds, 6 nights. she is divorced, I am a widower. Here's the concern, We have never been close. We have had dinner twice, nothing intimate, no holding hands,hugs,etc.we talk and enjoy the time. I speak with her several times a week always. she seems to like me , she is always smiling and just happy when we are together.

Now I am thinking wth! I going on a weeks vacation with someone I've never spent more than 2-3 hours with at a time, sharing a room and driving 5 hours both ways. I was married for 38 years,I got married very young, really never dated and I am getting somewhat nervous about this. she is looking forward to this, as she did invite herself and that kinda through me off. I do like her and assume she's like me. Is this common with dating/ friends these days? I have no intentions of backing out, it could be quite the adventure. thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky1 View Post
I have a trip coming up this September and a friend (8 years) is coming with me. we will be sharing the room,2 beds, 6 nights. she is divorced, I am a widower. Here's the concern, We have never been close. We have had dinner twice, nothing intimate, no holding hands,hugs,etc.we talk and enjoy the time. I speak with her several times a week always. she seems to like me , she is always smiling and just happy when we are together.

Now I am thinking wth! I going on a weeks vacation with someone I've never spent more than 2-3 hours with at a time, sharing a room and driving 5 hours both ways. I was married for 38 years,I got married very young, really never dated and I am getting somewhat nervous about this. she is looking forward to this, as she did invite herself and that kinda through me off. I do like her and assume she's like me. Is this common with dating/ friends these days? I have no intentions of backing out, it could be quite the adventure. thoughts?
Oh it could be quite the adventure, all right, with your apparent new girlfriend!

Congratulations!

Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 AM

179 posts, read 289,651 times
Ha ha, I guess so, maybe. I feel awkward when I think about holding her hand or giving her a hug. Oh well,Time will tell, thanks Birdie Belle for your response

Old 07-09-2019, 12:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I am floored that you two are sharing a room. How did that even come up?

Do you feel at all interested in her? Would you want something to develop?

I have seen this happen before with widowers. Those women can be very aggressive, and before you know it she will be assuming all kinds of things about the two of you if you don't make your feelings clear and known.

Please do keep us posted!

Old 07-09-2019, 02:39 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Time to change the reservation to a king and see how it goes.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:24 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Time to change the reservation to a king and see how it goes.
Or a single twin.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:29 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Could be a way that she's telling you she trusts you enough to not try anything that she's willing to share a room. But she could also be hoping something does! Wouldn't hurt to have a talk with her about it.
I remember my first date after 20 years of marriage. She got mad at me because I didn't try anything!

Old 07-09-2019, 04:10 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Everyone knows the extra bed is just to put your luggage’s on.

I’d be surprised if nothing intimate happens.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:42 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
Um. I think there should have been a conversation that went beyond "she did invite herself". Wasn't there any suggestion that she might get her own room? Well, you can still talk, if you want to. Frankly, if it was me I'd be nervous every night if there hadn't been any agreement. What does she intend to do? What does she expect me to do? It could be a bad situation, if you're far from home with someone that you've had a fundamental disagreement with! It would make me more comfortable to be able to say "We'll start and end this trip as friends" and stick with that plan.

But then, you might consider a new relationship with this woman. Especially if you enjoy a vacation together, and you somehow avoid hurting each other's feelings. But it might be wiser to come home and think about what happens next.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:21 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
If you feel weird about, tell her. It’s hard enough for two female friends to share a room, much less a platonic couple with no clear agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships