U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:29 PM
 
8,242 posts, read 6,076,059 times
Reputation: 5857

Advertisements

One thing, I've noticed that the location of the OP is in Prague. I don't know what it is like over there, but I do know different countries are going to have different cultures.

In the United States (my and a lot of other posters' country), society is more about being yourself and being an individual. There is also the "Everyone's a winner" and "perfect as you are" message that is promoted (I like those messages). I wonder if in Prague, people are more encouraged to "impress one another" if you may.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:31 PM
 
8,242 posts, read 6,076,059 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That person needs to take it up with William Shakespeare. He uses it dozens of times to speak of romantic, not divine, love. For instance:

But, come what may, I do adore thee so,
That danger shall seem sport, and I will go.


Twelfth Night
Ah yes, what's known as old English.

A lot of words meant different things back in those days. But these days, any word can set someone off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:36 PM
 
403 posts, read 76,346 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
One thing, I've noticed that the location of the OP is in Prague. I don't know what it is like over there, but I do know different countries are going to have different cultures.

In the United States (my and a lot of other posters' country), society is more about being yourself and being an individual. There is also the "Everyone's a winner" and "perfect as you are" message that is promoted (I like those messages). I wonder if in Prague, people are more encouraged to "impress one another" if you may.
Having dated men from Central and Western Europe and from the US, I'd say that Americans I've dated have been more preoccupied with wealth and status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:38 PM
 
5,561 posts, read 2,358,693 times
Reputation: 16630
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Ah yes, what's known as old English.

A lot of words meant different things back in those days. But these days, any word can set someone off.

Including definite articles and prepositions. That's because people devote a lot of mental energy looking for new and exciting ways to be offended. But the word adore is still used that way in modern English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 01:42 PM
 
8,242 posts, read 6,076,059 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
Having dated men from Central and Western Europe and from the US, I'd say that Americans I've dated have been more preoccupied with wealth and status.
I see that too. Materialism. It is all over. Often times, it is not just for the item itself, it is because others have that item (keeping up with the Joneses kind of thing).

And there are many other messages being pushed. Some of them are contrary which is a sign of a major change occurring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 04:44 PM
 
570 posts, read 328,914 times
Reputation: 451
I've spent some time in Eastern Europe and they are extremely materialistic there, its like backlash from the Communist era when there was lack of choice of products (it was all government issue), now they are hungry and lapping it all up like starving kittens. There is also extreme poverty currently though but they prioritize material items over nearly everything else.

In the US where I live its also very materialistic but its more in the sense that the country was founded on certain ideals and wealth is sign of success, power, proof these ideals worked and one has successfully played the game and gotten ahead. The idea that anyone can make it if they try. So status items are more symbols, but there is also a growing movement towards rejecting those ideals. People who seem to take a vow of poverty, choose to live off the grid, opt for a simple life, RVers and van dwelling types. Its a very different climate from Eastern Europe where they more seem to have been denied for so long and are starving for it now (in post communism).
I dont know if this has anything to do with OP, I just read this last page and found it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:17 PM
 
403 posts, read 76,346 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I've spent some time in Eastern Europe and they are extremely materialistic there, its like backlash from the Communist era when there was lack of choice of products (it was all government issue), now they are hungry and lapping it all up like starving kittens. There is also extreme poverty currently though but they prioritize material items over nearly everything else.

In the US where I live its also very materialistic but its more in the sense that the country was founded on certain ideals and wealth is sign of success, power, proof these ideals worked and one has successfully played the game and gotten ahead. The idea that anyone can make it if they try. So status items are more symbols, but there is also a growing movement towards rejecting those ideals. People who seem to take a vow of poverty, choose to live off the grid, opt for a simple life, RVers and van dwelling types. Its a very different climate from Eastern Europe where they more seem to have been denied for so long and are starving for it now (in post communism).
I dont know if this has anything to do with OP, I just read this last page and found it interesting.
Not sure if it's like that in Czech Republic?? I thought Czech Republic is Central Europe, not Eastern Europe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:20 PM
 
570 posts, read 328,914 times
Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
Not sure if it's like that in Czech Republic?? I thought Czech Republic is Central Europe, not Eastern Europe
Its a former Communist country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:45 PM
 
403 posts, read 76,346 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Its a former Communist country.
Ah OK. That makes sense then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:50 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
79,138 posts, read 71,175,093 times
Reputation: 77264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
Not sure if it's like that in Czech Republic?? I thought Czech Republic is Central Europe, not Eastern Europe
To-may-to, to-mah-to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top