Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Great, my wife will be posting on this board in five years
Probably...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:08 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
I dont show any of those signs.. so I guess I am kinda good to go.. I hate emotional/physical abuse...

Old 04-22-2008, 05:09 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,764 times
[self Edit: not Pc Chiaroscuro!]

Last edited by chiaroscuro; 04-22-2008 at 05:36 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 05:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
I'll smack dat b*tch!

j/k.

Jokes are probably not a good idea for this type of thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Great thread; I hope it helps some people out there.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:29 PM

One thing that I noticed when I "broke free" from this abusive relationship was that my eyes became clear and bright. In the later years I had developed a chronic dry eye condition that caused my eyes to look "broken" looking somewhat bloodshot. I did all sorts of treatments and drops and nothing seemed to work. I believe it was from the consistant state of stress and tension that my eyes became strained and the blood vessels became visible in the whites of the eyes.

I also noticed this same condition with one of my friend's her eyes looked like they were hurting and stained, then when she got out of her abusive relationship, her eyes cleared up beautifully as well. Sort of miraculous I think.

I have also seen women who were trying to lose weight, but couldn't while in their unhealthy relationship. When they broke free, the weight seemed to mealt away effortlessly.

Pretty Interesting.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I haven't read your links, although I've read similar things before, but what I saw in a job I used to have when I came into contact with abused women and also in one particular relationship I was in, was that abusers often start relationships with an "I'll take care of you" theme. It's very appealing to vulnerable women, especially those just getting out of abusive relationships.

There was a poster the other day who started by saying what a nice guy her husband used to be because he would run her bath. If a guy ever did that for me more than once, I'd run the other way. Why? Because children need a bath run for them, grown women don't. Once, maybe a sweet romantic gesture. More than that, no thank you. "You won't have to work--I'll take care of you." "You don't need a car--I'll drive you wherever you want to go." "Look, I bought these clothes for you." If a man acts that way toward you, run.

Some will disagree with me, but 9 times out of 10, I'll wager someone who acts like that will next be saying, "You can't work, you can't have a car and you look like a **** in those jeans."

Old 04-22-2008, 08:22 PM

To all my sacred sisters,

If anyone feels like they may be in an abusive relationship, please send me a direct message. I won't give you advice, but I will offer support.

With Love, Moon

Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I haven't read your links, although I've read similar things before, but what I saw in a job I used to have when I came into contact with abused women and also in one particular relationship I was in, was that abusers often start relationships with an "I'll take care of you" theme. It's very appealing to vulnerable women, especially those just getting out of abusive relationships.

There was a poster the other day who started by saying what a nice guy her husband used to be because he would run her bath. If a guy ever did that for me more than once, I'd run the other way. Why? Because children need a bath run for them, grown women don't. Once, maybe a sweet romantic gesture. More than that, no thank you. "You won't have to work--I'll take care of you." "You don't need a car--I'll drive you wherever you want to go." "Look, I bought these clothes for you." If a man acts that way toward you, run.

Some will disagree with me, but 9 times out of 10, I'll wager someone who acts like that will next be saying, "You can't work, you can't have a car and you look like a **** in those jeans."
You're absolutely right! I know somebody who escaped from a really bad physically abusive marriage with 2 children. Then she met this great savior quite younger than her, sticking with her through thick and thin, accepting her children, etc., what the fairy tales are made of.... Well, she went from the frying pan into the fire! Her current husband is not physically abusive, but just as bad. Those "savior" personalities are nothing but control freaks looking for the right victim...

Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 PM

A very IMPORTANT thing to remember if you have left an abusive relationship is that the victim mentality that YOU have taken on will follow you into future relationships. Until you heal it. That's why it is vital that you do not date again until you have given yourself enough time and allowed the healing process to happen.

Until you see your own part of why you attracted or tolerated the abuse, you will continue to repeat it. Until you break the abuse cycle, you will carry the cycle into other relationships whether it be with a boss, partner, another spouse, ect...

We've talked about this on other threads. But the knight in shining armor mentality has got to go! If you are looking for a rescuer, you will attract another contolling, dominating and/or abusive man. The 'victim' whether a man or a woman has to look at his or her part, which includes not pointing the finger at the abuser. Constantly looking and talking about the abuser's behavior will only delay the healing. Let them be who they are, bless them and then start living your life!

Life becomes exhilerating, rather than exhausting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships