Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 04:28 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
Notice how modern women always define chivalry in respect to men's actions. They fought hard to remove any expectations on a woman's behavior, but want men to still fit in the traditional box of what makes a "man". A woman get's to be an individual and think for herself on how she behaves, but a man must follow a script or he's not a "real man".
"Real man"? Those are your words - not mine. I simply stated that I do, have always, and WILL always prefer a man that knows knows and practices chivalry. In my upbringing, that is called being a gentleman. And I consider myself a lady. If you are in the crowd that does not understand what either of those are, then you and I will not have much success on a date. That's cool with me. Go find someone that has no expectations at all, and I'm sure you'll do fine. Who the heck said anything about a "script"? If you aren't your own person, and can't think for yourself, you can be certain I'd not have given you my number in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 01:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times
What I want to know is who came up with the idea the man always has to foot the bill?

What does Chivalry have to do with me paying your dinner?

I'm a generous person. I've paid plenty of restaurant bills in my time. I just don't like people that never reach for their wallets.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Hey... whatever! It's a free country at least in this respect still. Men get to choose what to spend their money on; women get to choose whom to spend their time with. It's all fair and square.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:36 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,120,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
What I want to know is who came up with the idea the man always has to foot the bill?

What does Chivalry have to do with me paying your dinner?

I'm a generous person. I've paid plenty of restaurant bills in my time. I just don't like people that never reach for their wallets.
This post might help answer this question http://ww.city-data.com/forum/6693296-post86.html

Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,975,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
There is a difference here in perspective. For me, equality is all about equal pay in the job market. That's my equality, and frankly, right now, I have that. So I'm good there, okay? Relationships between men and women? I will always expect chivalry. It's not "both ways". That's apples and oranges. I expect men to open/hold doors, walk me to my door after a date, hold my chair when I sit down at dinner...etc. Yes...I DO expect all these things. If a man asks me to "go out", it's never been presented as an offer to "hey..I'm gonna go eat at so&so's tonight...stop by if you aren't busy". THAT would be a totally different situation, and one where I would certainly expect to pay my way.

If a man asks me to go out with him, then he is offering to host my evening. If I am in a relationship with someone, then sure, I have no problem paying for our evening occasionally. But for ME, a date is about someone thinking enough of me to want to treat me to an evening. That is what a "date" is.

For those that have different thoughts, I believe the intent is that they want to redefine the traditional "date". And if that works for you, then by all means, go for what works. But I don't see that happening with many people. And if it does, and men and women no longer treat each other with any special considerations any more, then we've lost much of what makes us human. And that is a world I don't find to be very special at all.
Ok, let me give some clarity to my earlier post. I always hold the door, etc for women. Thats just how i was raised. Also, if i ask a woman out, i pay. I agree, that if a man asks a woman out, then he is asking to take her out and treat her. Thats all fine and dandy. This could continue for a while as well. My point is two fold - one i respect a woman a lot more when she offers to pay and depending on how long we have been going out and how i'm feeling i might accept. Two - once a actually relationship is established, whether it be a week or a few months, the price for an evening out should be split. Women who ALWAYS expect the man to play are gold diggers or mooches.

G Rizzle

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
The asker pays. If I invite a friend to a movie, I pay for the movie.

People who don't like this basic rule of etiquette should simply sit back and wait to be invited places.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,037,153 times
it depends on the girl. if i respect her enough, then i will pay for everything.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 AM

616 posts, read 1,162,760 times
What man would not pay for the first date and subsequent ones? A woman has a right to assume that the date will be paid by the male. Unless the male is jobless (in that case shouldn't have asked in the first place), a real heel, or a boy in disguise-lol.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 PM

434 posts, read 934,079 times
Never and never go on second date with a guy who did not pay the whole bill on the first date!

Even though I am extremely independent and generous

And , I will certainly be happy to insist on paying the full bill on the second date

I know what I am talking about

I have been married to someone...similar...for 8 years....

Old 01-08-2009, 11:21 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,877,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
A guy asked me out and paid the dinner, but when we were in a bar, he told me he has no cash, and I paid for the drinks which is ok.
But no cash? why did he ask me to go to the bar after dinner and made me pay it?
The guy should be paying and thats that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships