Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyo76 View Post
Hey Mr.Mgto4, you totally contradicted yourself. You said you play 1 to 3 hours 5 times a week, but you don't neglect your fiancé. Think reality. Average 8 hour work day, come home, maybe she's home from her job, maybe not. Cook dinner, eat dinner, dishes. "Then" you start your 1 to 3 hours of childish addiction, I mean, video games. Exactly, where does the quality time come in to play here, especially when you said she doesnt enjoy it like you do. Maybe she is one of these insecure types that is just happy to have a boyfriend that has a heart beat, and isnt out at the clubs messing around, and your too wrapped up in reminescing in your childhood to notice. Oh thats right, you are out at the bar's. You said so. Sounds like your in a world of illusion and denial. And this world that you and I live in, for your ininformation, is at it's all time high divorce rate. You might want to lay down the joystick and save what you might unconsciously be ruining. Oh, and grow up!
Hey chief, if she doesn't like it she can LEAVE! Or are you one of those women-coddlers who believes that women have no free will?

Anyway, I used to be addicted to a video game in high school, but by the end of high school I had stopped playing it. I don't play as many video games now, largely because there hasn't been a great one. I'm into the Rock Band games, those are super fun especially with friends. Nothing to get you out of your comfort zone like belting out lyrics to a song while someone clumsily tries to play the drum beat. I think having a video game addiction can definitely damage your relationships, but harmless casual gaming is fine. I don't see it as more childish than, well, anything else.

e: But just for perspective, I think I logged 1000 hours on that video game (Battlefield 2... best game ever) over the course of a few years. And that was playing mostly on weekends since my parents didn't let me play during the week. I think I logged 20 hours in one weekend once. Damn, THAT was a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 AM

75 posts, read 115,674 times
Quote:
Hey Mr.Mgto4, you totally contradicted yourself. You said you play 1 to 3 hours 5 times a week, but you don't neglect your fiancé. Think reality. Average 8 hour work day, come home, maybe she's home from her job, maybe not. Cook dinner, eat dinner, dishes. "Then" you start your 1 to 3 hours of childish addiction, I mean, video games. Exactly, where does the quality time come in to play here, especially when you said she doesnt enjoy it like you do. Maybe she is one of these insecure types that is just happy to have a boyfriend that has a heart beat, and isnt out at the clubs messing around, and your too wrapped up in reminescing in your childhood to notice. Oh thats right, you are out at the bar's. You said so. Sounds like your in a world of illusion and denial. And this world that you and I live in, for your ininformation, is at it's all time high divorce rate. You might want to lay down the joystick and save what you might unconsciously be ruining. Oh, and grow up!
you sound like a stage 5 clinger

Old 08-28-2011, 12:27 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,252 times
I don't care if a guy likes video games. I am a woman and I like video games *gasp*, but I don't play them very much. To me, if he just likes to play them that's okay as long as he has a life and doesn't do it 24/7. I could say that for any hobby as well; everyone needs a healthy balance in their life with work/school, hobbies, exercise, social activities, etc.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:31 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,922 times
Quote:
Troll post

Old 08-28-2011, 12:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
What do I think of men who play video games?

That we don't have that in common, and so I hope they have other non-related interests as well, perhaps some that we share.

At this stage of life (early 30s) I know a few guys who play a lot, a ton of guys who play once in a while with fleeting attention, and a bunch who don't really play at all. My SO of five years has a PSP that he picks up seriously once or twice a year to play some football game or another, but it never really holds his interest for the long term. I'm not sure it actually got unpacked from our last move, and that was almost two years ago, so that tells you how big gaming is on his radar. Whatever, never had a problem with the hobby, it's just not an overwhelming interest of his and never was.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
On one hand, some women are annoyed at how fanboyish some men can be about their video games (I.e. Playing hours upon hours, obsessing on fansites or cheat sites), but on the other hand, I think it's kind of a stupid thing to get so upset if their man likes video games and isn't a fanboy about it.
My husband can sometimes be "fanboyish". For Christmas, I'm thinking of having a wallscroll of Kojima made up for him.

Playing for hours, I have no problem with. As long as nothing is neglected, it's all good. Our daughter goes to bed between 8-9pm and we don't normally lie down until midnight. That's 3-4 hours to enjoy a nice relaxing game. Right now, hopping between FF2, Phantom Brave, Persona 3, and Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Quote:
Hey Mr.Mgto4, you totally contradicted yourself. You said you play 1 to 3 hours 5 times a week, but you don't neglect your fiancé.
My husband plays 1 to 3 hours 7 days a week and I, as his wife, don't feel neglected.

Quote:
Think reality.
No. Really.

Quote:
Average 8 hour work day, come home, maybe she's home from her job, maybe not. Cook dinner, eat dinner, dishes. "Then" you start your 1 to 3 hours
Including lunch, 9 hour work day. By time I get home, my Stay-at-Home husband already has dinner on the table. Then dishes. Then spending time with our daughter. Preparing her for Kindergarten, watch a movie, play some games, etc. Then 8-9pm rolls around. Now we have from then to midnight.

Quote:
of childish addiction, I mean, video games.
No more childish than other things I can think of to waste/use 3 hours. Come to think of it, perhaps it's the "childish addiction" of video games that keeps my life stress free. Any built up stress from the day is gone by time I sleep.

Quote:
Exactly, where does the quality time come in to play here, especially when you said she doesnt enjoy it like you do.
What constitutes "quality time"? Do couples need to be constantly cuddled up doing the exact same thing in order for it to be "quality time"? Right now, my husband is playing Twilight Princess. As soon as I'm done with this post, I'll be playing something on my PSP.

I think we're spending quality time together.

We'll also have been together 9 years come 2 weeks, so we've evolved past needing to be attached at the hip about 8 3/4 years ago.

Quote:
Maybe she is one of these insecure types that is just happy to have a boyfriend that has a heart beat
I'd imagine it's the opposite way around. The insecure type would be the overly clingy girlfriend who despised that her boyfriend spent 1-3 hours paying attention to a game instead of her. The secure type girlfriend would know that the game can be turned off anytime and thus doesn't have a problem with it.

Quote:
and isnt out at the clubs messing around, and your too wrapped up in reminescing in your childhood to notice. Oh thats right, you are out at the bar's. You said so.
One can enjoy video games and clubs. The enjoyment of these two things are not exclusive.

Quote:
Sounds like your in a world of illusion and denial.
How?

Quote:
And this world that you and I live in, for your ininformation, is at it's all time high divorce rate.
And? What does the divorce rate have to do with video games?

Quote:
You might want to lay down the joystick and save what you might unconsciously be ruining.
I just asked my husband what he would do if I put "down the joystick" and he said he'd be worried - just as any caring spouse would do if the other gave up a hobby that he/she truly enjoyed.

Quote:
Oh, and grow up!
What does one consider to be a "grown up" hobby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Hey chief, if she doesn't like it she can LEAVE!
Yup!

Quote:
Anyway, I used to be addicted to a video game in high school, but by the end of high school I had stopped playing it. I don't play as many video games now, largely because there hasn't been a great one. I'm into the Rock Band games, those are super fun especially with friends. Nothing to get you out of your comfort zone like belting out lyrics to a song while someone clumsily tries to play the drum beat. I think having a video game addiction can definitely damage your relationships, but harmless casual gaming is fine. I don't see it as more childish than, well, anything else.
Rockband + Friends = A great night

Quote:
But just for perspective, I think I logged 1000 hours on that video game (Battlefield 2... best game ever) over the course of a few years.
Did that m'self with a Star Ocean game. I got challenged to get every battle trophy. So over the course of a year or two, I did. And maaaaaan, was that difficult.

Quote:
And that was playing mostly on weekends since my parents didn't let me play during the week. I think I logged 20 hours in one weekend once. Damn, THAT was a waste of time.
I went to school, worked 32 hours a week, and still managed to get hours here and there in - mainly on the weekends.

Longest run I ever had was a gaming marathon of FF8. I was borrowing Final Fantasy 8 and a PS1 from my boyfriend (my now-husband) and wanted to see how far I got. Not only did I beat the game, but I got a lot of the secrets without really trying. Also had an amazing Triple Triad Deck. I logged in 42 hours between Friday after school and Monday before school.

I didn't consider it a waste of time and still don't. Then again, we had a bad storm rolling through that flooded me in the house for the entire weekend. The game kept me from having cabin fever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
What's "ininformation" mean?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I've spent too much time playing video games. As you can imagine, my brain is decayed to the core.
It might be because your brain is used to games that have proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Perhaps if people like you and I interacted more with common folk, we'd have a better sense of their mannerisms and use of the English Language.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:17 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
I like to play Sports Video Games. I don't really play a lot of shooters or those types of games. I may play 5 times a week, maybe for an hour a clip.

I live with my GF. She actually enjoys it... it gives me something to do and she can do her own thing. She will read, or call her mom or sister, or do something else. She also has learned a lot about football over the last month or so watching me play NCAA Football.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 PM

200 posts, read 328,505 times
Video games are cool with me just as long as that's not the only thing he does all day long..heck I'd wanna play some games with him too...I love video games though I haven't played them in years I often reminisce about my old school super nintendo days!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:38 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
SO plays video games - I post on CD. Who am I to judge?

It's something we both do when the other is not around.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:46 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
It might be because your brain is used to games that have proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Like "all your base are belong to us"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships