Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 11:37 AM

422 posts, read 757,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
My husband can sometimes be "fanboyish". For Christmas, I'm thinking of having a wallscroll of Kojima made up for him.

Playing for hours, I have no problem with. As long as nothing is neglected, it's all good. Our daughter goes to bed between 8-9pm and we don't normally lie down until midnight. That's 3-4 hours to enjoy a nice relaxing game. Right now, hopping between FF2, Phantom Brave, Persona 3, and Phantasy Star Portable 2.

My husband plays 1 to 3 hours 7 days a week and I, as his wife, don't feel neglected.

No. Really.

Including lunch, 9 hour work day. By time I get home, my Stay-at-Home husband already has dinner on the table. Then dishes. Then spending time with our daughter. Preparing her for Kindergarten, watch a movie, play some games, etc. Then 8-9pm rolls around. Now we have from then to midnight.

No more childish than other things I can think of to waste/use 3 hours. Come to think of it, perhaps it's the "childish addiction" of video games that keeps my life stress free. Any built up stress from the day is gone by time I sleep.

What constitutes "quality time"? Do couples need to be constantly cuddled up doing the exact same thing in order for it to be "quality time"? Right now, my husband is playing Twilight Princess. As soon as I'm done with this post, I'll be playing something on my PSP.

I think we're spending quality time together.

We'll also have been together 9 years come 2 weeks, so we've evolved past needing to be attached at the hip about 8 3/4 years ago.

I'd imagine it's the opposite way around. The insecure type would be the overly clingy girlfriend who despised that her boyfriend spent 1-3 hours paying attention to a game instead of her. The secure type girlfriend would know that the game can be turned off anytime and thus doesn't have a problem with it.

One can enjoy video games and clubs. The enjoyment of these two things are not exclusive.

How?

And? What does the divorce rate have to do with video games?

I just asked my husband what he would do if I put "down the joystick" and he said he'd be worried - just as any caring spouse would do if the other gave up a hobby that he/she truly enjoyed.

What does one consider to be a "grown up" hobby?

Yup!

Rockband + Friends = A great night

Did that m'self with a Star Ocean game. I got challenged to get every battle trophy. So over the course of a year or two, I did. And maaaaaan, was that difficult.

I went to school, worked 32 hours a week, and still managed to get hours here and there in - mainly on the weekends.

Longest run I ever had was a gaming marathon of FF8. I was borrowing Final Fantasy 8 and a PS1 from my boyfriend (my now-husband) and wanted to see how far I got. Not only did I beat the game, but I got a lot of the secrets without really trying. Also had an amazing Triple Triad Deck. I logged in 42 hours between Friday after school and Monday before school.

I didn't consider it a waste of time and still don't. Then again, we had a bad storm rolling through that flooded me in the house for the entire weekend. The game kept me from having cabin fever.

It might be because your brain is used to games that have proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Perhaps if people like you and I interacted more with common folk, we'd have a better sense of their mannerisms and use of the English Language.

Kojima, FF2, Personna what???

Wow this is the most awesome thread I've ever read, ha Good going.

You and me both are lucky, my wife plays more games than me and
she works full time also....must suck for some of these people to let
little things like video games trouble there lives when there are bigger
concerns (I'm sure) looming right around the corner.

Pick up a hobby women it will do you wonders and let your husband
enjoy his time off, it's not his fault you have no diversions and he does.

Love this response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,145,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I'm a casual gamer myself so another casual gamer would be a plus.

I'll pass on the hardcore gamers.
Every time I read stories on hardcore gamers either losing their jobs, losing their relationships, or dying because of their insane addictions, I can't help but shudder.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:53 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
To each their own. I am sure that plenty of people have other things that keep them from building a better relationship with their spouse or SO. I for one have let work come in the way of my wife, family and me. I say everything in moderation. I also say that when you have something that you would rather do than spend time with your best friend, lover, or kids then that thing needs to go. I used to be a big time College Football nut. That can consume an entire Saturday during the season. That is not conductive to building a good relationship at home. I now limit my game day to 2 schools. If they are playing at the same time I channel surf between them. That is the compromise that my wife and I have worked out. It works for us and I am not missing so many important events in my kids life. Those just don't come around that often and when that time is gone you can't get it back.

Funny thing about time, you don't get any more of it.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,273,223 times
If a man, or woman, is irresponsible with gaming, then it's a bad thing. It's really a matter of priorities. When I was married, I ran my errands and did my chores first, then had no problem logging onto Asheron's Call (this was 10 years ago) and having a blast. Met some terrific people through my "monarchy."

My ex? He did things in reverse: Gaming then chores and errands. That caused a bit of a problem, as did his gaming until he was late for work, social events, etc.

My current SO games and used to have "geek" night where his brother and a good buddy would come over and they'd all play Team Fortress or something like that. I see nothing wrong with that. Actually, I think it's cute.

For those who complain about their men doing stuff like that, would you rather have them out carousing, blowing their time and money on booze and strip clubs, so that you worry about who is driving, what idiot with beer muscles they might run into, what drunk bimbo is going to grab their crotch, etc?

Which reminds me, hey, the economy is still in the toilet. It's a much cheaper way to get together than bar- or club-hopping.

Some folks here are making too big an issue of it. The way I see it, if a guy wants to get on the headset and blow stuff up with his buddies, that's when I can sneak off to find the fleur-de-lis in the latest creeptastic game over at [URL="http://www.bigfishgames.com/"]Big Fish[/URL].

Old 08-29-2011, 03:15 PM

445 posts, read 865,060 times
They're fun but they can be a lot of work if you don't have cheat codes!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 PM

328 posts, read 603,231 times
Better to play video games than to be out clubbing all the time cheating with out of town women, like me.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,450 times
how is spending 5 hours on facebook a day which im sure many people do or women watching reality television and concentrating on someone elses life other then there own any better or different than playing video games?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,431,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
how is spending 5 hours on facebook a day which im sure many people do or women watching reality television and concentrating on someone elses life other then there own any better or different than playing video games?
At least with facebook and all other online sites city data included, you can completely multi task. Get many productive things done at the same time. Reality TV or any TV? no different IMO.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:52 AM

550 posts, read 604,660 times
In general, they adore them!! They are more exciting and fun to women. That's until they hit their 40's.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:43 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Haha, this is a fun thread. My wife doesn't mind me playing games occasionally. She knows she comes first if need be, and she respects that sometimes, I want to play for some "alone" time. In fact, there's a couple games that she will play also, and compete with me.

I work, maintain the yard/landscaping, do the dishes now and then, take care of the cars, etc. If video games were getting in the way of my responsibilities as a husband, she'd have a problem with it... and so would I. Playing video games when you've got a couple hours to kill here and there isn't a problem in my opinion. For her alone time, she'll go shopping, watch some tv programs I can't stand, or browse facebook/chat. The point is, it doesn't matter what activity you are doing, so long as it doesn't come between you and your partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships